Project Orbiter Speech Recognition Module - Beta Testers Needed

dumbo2007

Crazy about real time sims
Reaction score
About the firing a string of commands thing.....say for example you want to select the Orbit MFD in MFD1 always. So first you :
1. Raise Panel
2. Select MFD1
3. Choose Orbit
4. Switch to [DST] mode

So you need to press 4 buttons in sequence. So you can have a line in the config file like :
"Orbit MFD 1" DOWNARROW10 SEL .....etc

DOWNARROW10 means press down arrow 10 times....what ever the exact sequence of button presses is...you can just put them after the user spoken words.

Now just imagine what you could do if you allowed starting of LUA scripts with voice commands like :
"Start myscript"
so when the user says "Start myscript" you check to see if there is a LUA script called myscript and start it.
This is useful in situations like approaching brighton base for landing from moon orbit. You need to turn retrograde and do a burn till you reach a certain velocity, then you need to turn and get the thrusters pointing down quickly. So if you can do this entire series of complex operations with a single voice command it would be great. In fact its like an autopilot. Note : this is more complex then simple button presses as you need to check speeds and height before shutting off the prograde burn etc. That can only be automated with scripting so you need to start a LUA script.

...and how awesome would it be, if after recognizing a command say to start main engines...the DG replied with a fixed 2 lines....
"Command recognized. Attempting to comply" .....this can be done for certain stuff only as if it keeps saying this all the time then it can get irritating.....and it needs to be in a female voice too!!!..maybe a female orbiter can help in that :)

Last edited:

unknown_orbiter

Orbital Mystery
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
maybe a female orbiter can help in that :)
xD One thing I can not help with :p. Amazing ideas dumbo! Juanelm will have to decide whether he is up to such a challenge! Implementing LUA scripts with this module could prove difficult... I am not an expert on the subject, but the module could recognize the script name, find it in a certain folder, tell orbiter to load it up... could be easy. Then again, I find scripts take away from the challenge a bit :p.

Juanelm

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I wouldn't want to create a scripting system myself, but I'll check if I can activate LUA scripts with voice commands.

I had some time to work on it today, and made two improvements, based on comments made:

1) Now you can open MFD's without having to be in the MFD select screen. Also, now it's not necessary to write the button used to open each MFD in their respective config files, so the files are even simpler.

2) Now generic commands are not limited to commands in the keymap.cfg file. So you can add commands like "select vessel" to press F3, that will apply to every vessel.

I tried adding the up arrow, down arrow and enter, in order to be able to navigate the select target menus, but for some reason OSRM is not able to send commands to these menus... So I think selecting targets using voice commands will be limited to Vista/Seven users.

dumbo2007

Reaction score
cool...now we are really making this powerful!!!......and yippee!!! i am on win7 :).....sometimes I wonder why people dont upgrade....win7 beat xp in a few areas for speed i think according to some benchmarks...and aero can be disabled.....

So I was like thinking ...doesnt orbiter provide some api function for launching LUA scripts..I mean the new Beta releases...should be a simple matter of passing it the required parameters.

Juanelm

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Couple of questions:

Scripting is working in Orbiter 2009 only right? OSRM was made for 2006 and isn't working perfectly for 09.

I believe there is a Script MFD, couldn't you activate a script through the MFD?

dumbo2007

Reaction score
yes I can do that....can you tell me the problems that OSRM is encountering in Orbiter 2009 ?

Juanelm

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
yes I can do that....can you tell me the problems that OSRM is encountering in Orbiter 2009 ?

I just tested it yesterday, and it gave me some errors, although it somewhat worked... I didn't have much time to test it thoroughly, I'll let you know when I can. Or if a beta tester volunteers to test that..

dumbo2007

Reaction score
And count me in to test on Windows 7. If you can send me the OSRM I can check on the errors and report back so we can get the silly errors out of the way quickly and spend more time putting in more value-added features :)

unknown_orbiter

Orbital Mystery
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Yes and now that I notice, you say you've made modifications to the general vessel config file so it is not dependent upon the keymap.cfg file. This is great, because it will prevent repetition among specific vessel config files, such as for things like timewarp which is not defined in keymap.

Juanelm

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yes and now that I notice, you say you've made modifications to the general vessel config file so it is not dependent upon the keymap.cfg file. This is great, because it will prevent repetition among specific vessel config files, such as for things like timewarp which is not defined in keymap.

Thats right! How are the configs coming? Were you able to test spanish or french?

unknown_orbiter

Orbital Mystery
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Thats right! How are the configs coming? Were you able to test spanish or french?
The configs are coming along well. As a matter of fact, I am going to undertake the challenge of IMFD tonight :S! With all of the submenus and godawful amount of selection choices I should be craking out a hefty CFG for it! I was planning on testing French and Spanish after I finished the vessel and MFD cfg files, but I can do that as well tonight :). Like I said, if you can send me your updated OSRM package then I can make even more changes, because ATM I have timewarp voice commands in all the vessel cfg's and such hehe. With all of the vessel and MFD changes/additions I have made, as well as some testing that has to be done, I'll be done in about 1-2 days time. The sooner you send be your OSRM changes the better :). Keep up the good work! This module is quickly becoming simply amazing haha.

Juanelm

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The configs are coming along well. As a matter of fact, I am going to undertake the challenge of IMFD tonight :S! With all of the submenus and godawful amount of selection choices I should be craking out a hefty CFG for it! I was planning on testing French and Spanish after I finished the vessel and MFD cfg files, but I can do that as well tonight :). Like I said, if you can send me your updated OSRM package then I can make even more changes, because ATM I have timewarp voice commands in all the vessel cfg's and such hehe. With all of the vessel and MFD changes/additions I have made, as well as some testing that has to be done, I'll be done in about 1-2 days time. The sooner you send be your OSRM changes the better :). Keep up the good work! This module is quickly becoming simply amazing haha.

Sounds cool!

Hmm I sent it to you yesterday. Maybe the email didn't get through, gonna send it again.

Drdred2

Reaction score
Cool

I'd be happy to try out this add-on. However, i have a web-cam, and it has a built in microphone. Would that work with it? I think this would be a great thing to do.

unknown_orbiter

Orbital Mystery
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I'd be happy to try out this add-on. However, i have a web-cam, and it has a built in microphone. Would that work with it? I think this would be a great thing to do.

Sorry, but I tried my built in webcam-mic system and it just simply fails. I get the "What was that?" message a lot :(. If you have 15 USD laying around, you can buy a brand new headset with a high-quality microphone. Listen to the audio in the tutorial video I posted. That clarity is from a $16.99 headset from BestBuy. Better yet, go to google shopping and find one used ;). And Juan, I did not receive anything yesterday... I will turn off my spam filters just in case.

unknown_orbiter

Orbital Mystery
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Ok I just tried out French and Spanish... a bit of a bust :(. You would have to install a different language version of the recognition engine, which I don't really feel like working out all the technicals of (having to specify which engine the Module uses >.<). Still working on the updates, will be done soon :).

EDIT: Ok, just checked out the new module you sent me... already some issues. In the Generic cfg file, I bound "faster" to 't' and "slower" to 'r' for time warp. When I say faster now, it does nothing but acknowledges that I said faster. When I say slower, the simulator switches between RCS and LIN thrusters 0.o. Same thing with the 'i' key, which when pressed should toggle the MJD date, etc in the top right corner. When I bound that to "information" in the generic config file, it instead opens up the "Orbit Info" screen.

Last edited:

Juanelm

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
EDIT: Ok, just checked out the new module you sent me... already some issues. In the Generic cfg file, I bound "faster" to 't' and "slower" to 'r' for time warp. When I say faster now, it does nothing but acknowledges that I said faster. When I say slower, the simulator switches between RCS and LIN thrusters 0.o. Same thing with the 'i' key, which when pressed should toggle the MJD date, etc in the top right corner. When I bound that to "information" in the generic config file, it instead opens up the "Orbit Info" screen.

Hmm I'll check that...

You can send me the configs anyways meanwhile; you know what to change to make it work with the new version.

unknown_orbiter

Orbital Mystery
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Hmm I'll check that...

You can send me the configs anyways meanwhile; you know what to change to make it work with the new version.
Sure thing! I just need to finish the IMFD config file, because like I said, it's a hefty 'un. I'm making it fairly detailed so feel free to trim it if you wish. Unfortunately I am not familiar with TransX so I can not yet fully do a config for it. I'll get the final set of configs to you tomorrow night most likely, and if not then definately Thursday evening :).

Juanelm

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Sure thing! I just need to finish the IMFD config file, because like I said, it's a hefty 'un. I'm making it fairly detailed so feel free to trim it if you wish. Unfortunately I am not familiar with TransX so I can not yet fully do a config for it. I'll get the final set of configs to you tomorrow night most likely, and if not then definately Thursday evening :).

Awesome! No rush, and good job!