Advanced Question Orientation for the SBS satellite launch using Universal Pointing

sunshine135

All Around Good Guy
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
All,

I am hoping for a little help with a specific scenario with Shuttle Fleet 4.8 and Universal Pointing MFD. I found the STS-5 Press kit. Inside, it has a great diagram of the Orbit 6 launch of the SBS from the PAM-B launcher to include visual diagrams of the launch. Now I have also taken the opportunity to read the proximity operations manual that David included from NASA explaining the procedure, and I have a good handle on how it is supposed to work.

My question is simply this: What burn orientation in the Universal Pointing MFD will set the Shuttle up to eject the satellite? I'm not sure that I will require a burn vector as it appears once the shuttle is settled into the proper orientation 25 minutes prior to deployment that it doesn't change position, rather the cargo bay ends up pointing retrograde at the Descending node. It seems to me that the shuttle is in some type of attitude hold. What am I missing here?

Thanks,

David413

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
See if this helps

Here is an excerpt from the STS-5 actual flight plan. It shows the angles and the DAP settings for the SBS deploy.

Attachments

• STS5ATT.jpg
    STS5ATT.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 48

sunshine135

All Around Good Guy
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
:hail: :hail::hail:

Thank you so much David! I could not find this anywhere.

Where do you find these tables?

Last edited:

sunshine135

All Around Good Guy
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Dave,

It is good to have friends in NASA. I think these tables add to the realism of the simulation, and really help me to understand what the astronauts were doing during these missions.

I am assuming these docs are not readily available on the Internet. (To be honest, I've never seen them before). I also assume they are constructed from the actual mission plans or reports. Do you know of a place where I can purchase these documents? Would your NASA friends be willing to provide these tables for each mission for some $$$$ assuming it would not be illegal for them or you to do so? Would you or they be willing to provide these tables to the Orbiter Community in exchange for a monetary donation to the community?

I believe the whole community could benefit from these documents, and I think it would be something I would be willing to put some coin towards.

Let me know. If you would rather PM me on this, I'm fine with that as well. Either way, I will respect your position.

Thanks,

David413

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
This is one from my private collection of documents (as was the excerpt I included in the original package); they are hardcopys and not for sale; I would suggest you look into joining NASASpaceflight.com's L2 section, many documents are available there. As to the documents I have, they were a present and are mostly no longer available; I only provided you with this table as it was a specific request on your part. I don't have the facilities to make whole documents in a pdf format so I'm afraid that most of them will remain in my personal collection.

Dave

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
This is one from my private collection of documents (as was the excerpt I included in the original package); they are hardcopys and not for sale; I would suggest you look into joining NASASpaceflight.com's L2 section, many documents are available there. As to the documents I have, they were a present and are mostly no longer available; I only provided you with this table as it was a specific request on your part. I don't have the facilities to make whole documents in a pdf format so I'm afraid that most of them will remain in my personal collection.

Dave
Aren't they available by making a FOIA request? It seems to me that all the post-RTF FDFs have been made available on the JSC FOIA page thanks to someone making FOIA requests for them.

David413

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Aren't they available by making a FOIA request? It seems to me that all the post-RTF FDFs have been made available on the JSC FOIA page thanks to someone making FOIA requests for them.

By all means, please go ahead and try a FOIA request. I can't say whether they are still available or not, however that they are in an electronic form is doubtful.

sunshine135

All Around Good Guy
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score

It can be very expensive to make an FOIA request. If I recall correctly, they quoted about $60 per document, and I assume they mean $60 for the launch checklist, and $60 for the Post Insertion Checklist, and $60 for the mission checklist etc....

I understand where Shuttle Fleet Dave is coming from though too. Depending on what form he has the checklists in, it could be very cumbersome to duplicate them. If they were in loose paper form, a good MFP could scan them into a decent PDF. If they are in a bound book form, that is another story entirely. Either way, I'm thankful for what I can get my grubby mitts on. The rest, we can extrapolate and do the best as possible at simulating it.