General Question Origins of Brighton Beach

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I was just wondering if anyone could explain a little question I have. What exactly was the rationale behind where Brighton beach was placed, & why it was named that? Apparently there is a town in New York called Brighton Beach, but I dont see any plausible connection between the two. Anybody know?

PeterRoss

Warranty man
Reaction score
Website
vk.com
Well, it looks like a major settlement placed on the 'shore' of the 'ocean', and... well... it is situated just in a hundred of kilometers from the Lunokhod-1 whereabouts, and Brighton Beach is the NY's neighborhood known as a place where most of Russian immigrants are living :lol: Not sure if this has anything to do with real reasons for naming the base Brighton Beach, I guess only Martin can tell.

Spaced

Reaction score
My mind was always drawn to Brighton beach in England. For which NYC's Brighton Beach was named. Although I am unsure of Orbiter's Luna reference.

Brighton's a seaside town on the Sussex coast in England, The beach is all pebbles ranging from 1" to 10" in size and hosts two Victorian pleasure piers. Sadly the west pier is now dilapidated and it burned down a few years ago despite local efforts to save it. Interesting note, Brighton had the world's first electric, passenger carrying train line and it still carries passengers today.

edit* ninja'd by flytandem

Last edited:

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The only reason I knew that there was a Brighton Beach in NY was the "Go Play in Space" PDF.

PeterRoss

Warranty man
Reaction score
Website
vk.com
It's a shame I've never heard of Brighton Beach in England before :lol:

It was a fun to think that lunar Brighton Beach was founded by soviet hitch-hikers who took a ride to the moon in the Lunokhod rover looking for a better life. Oh, whatever.

Last edited:

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Here you go...

especially see the constitution of the beach at 1:55-2:40. It's a big wide stony beach, presumably with a very similar stone size to our moon base!

Historical note - at 4:48 in this video you see a view of the Grand Hotel, which was the scene of an IRA terrorist attack on 12th October 1984 at the Conservative Party Conference which very nearly killed Margaret Thatcher (and did kill 5 others and 31 injured).

Last edited:

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
My mind was always drawn to Brighton beach in England. For which NYC's Brighton Beach was named. Although I am unsure of Orbiter's Luna reference.

Brighton's a seaside town on the Sussex coast in England, The beach is all pebbles ranging from 1" to 10" in size and hosts two Victorian pleasure piers. Sadly the west pier is now dilapidated and it burned down a few years ago despite local efforts to save it. Interesting note, Brighton had the world's first electric, passenger carrying train line and it still carries passengers today.

edit* ninja'd by flytandem

Ah, yes, now that makes more sense. I asked my aunts about it & it turns out they've visited Brighton & its beach before, how funny.

But, for part II, does anyone know the reason behind its placement? (just for fun) The real estate its on is a less obvious choice than the sea of tranquility, & a lot easier to reach than one of the poles, but is there any special significance to its location, other than the lunokhod that landed nearby?

---------- Post added at 02:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 AM ----------

especially see the constitution of the beach at 1:55-2:40. It's a big wide stony beach, presumably with a very similar stone size to our moon base!

Although I hope the sand at UK Brighton is a little safer to walk on :lol:

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
All this talk of Brighton Beach reminds me of that movie Dark City where everyone remembers a beach but can't remember how to get there or when the last time they went to it was.

I think that the ironic name would be kind of mean to anyone who lives on the moon for an extended period of time and really misses breathing salty air and walking outside in the sun without a spacesuit.

Spaced

Reaction score
Here you go...

Ah, memories of childhood came flooding back. Although I remember more drizzle and sea spray. Anyone spot the Rover at 5:16?

It's a shame I've never heard of Brighton Beach in England before :lol:
It was a fun to think that lunar Brighton Beach was founded by soviet hitch-hikers

Lol, I used to think Brighton's Royal Pavillion was "where all the Russians lived". Mistaking the Indian style minarets for the Kremlin.
Brighton-Royal-Pavilion.jpg

(this was very a young kid during the late stages of the cold war, I must point out. My parents found it amusing so didn't correct me for a while.)

Ah, yes, now that makes more sense. I asked my aunts about it & it turns out they've visited Brighton & its beach before, how funny.

But, for part II, does anyone know the reason behind its placement? (just for fun) The real estate its on is a less obvious choice than the sea of tranquility, & a lot easier to reach than one of the poles, but is there any special significance to its location, other than the lunokhod that landed nearby?

I too would like to find this out. Do we know for sure that it's an Orbiter designation and not named so anywhere else? With the arbitrary names NASA hands out to geological features I wouldn't be surprised if this were an official designation. .And probably for NYC's Brighton Beach. I can't see how ours is linked. However Corby crater on Mars arose from curious origins, so who knows? But as you say, there's no obvious NASA mission objective for where it is
Perhaps only Martin, or a real ol' timer would know for sure. Hopefully we'll find out now that you've raised the question.

Although I hope the sand at UK Brighton is a little safer to walk on :lol:
Not barefoot or with older siblings, trust me. It's all pebbles especially larger toward the shoreline. That vid doesn't show it all, there's some humongous stones on that beach (unless it's eroded so far in the 25 years since I've been :blink:). It's not so safe if you have an older brother either, I still bear scars from his impromptu pebble fights . Such is life for the nerdy younger brother.
Brighton was also a regular battle ground for the Mods and Rockers of the 1960's as anyone who has watched Quadrophenia knows. Lots of ammunition laying around.

Fingers crossed, we'll find out the real reason for Orbiters nonclementure.

Last edited:

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Brighton was also a regular battle ground for the Mods and Rockers of the 1960's as anyone who has watched Quadrophenia knows. Lots of ammunition laying around.

Fingers crossed, we'll find out the real reason for Orbiters nonclementure.

There's a line in Pinball Wizard, "From Soho down to Brighton, I must have played them all".

Given that Martin is from the UK, I'd imagine it's not a reference to the Brighton Beach in New York state.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
I've determined the following:

*Brighton Beach's latitude and longitude coordinates (-33.4375 +41.125) on Earth is a watery point in the middle of the North Atlantic.

*And -33.4375+41.125=7.6875.

What does it mean? I have no idea...I checked out of curiosity, to see if there was some sort of Dan Brown-esque riddle involved. :lol:

Last edited:

Spaced

Reaction score
There's a line in Pinball Wizard, "From Soho down to Brighton, I must have played them all".

Given that Martin is from the UK, I'd imagine it's not a reference to the Brighton Beach in New York state.

Good point, I hope it's for England's now famous beach.
"From Soho down to Brighton" Yeah, the London to Brighton route's quite legendary now. There's a gruelling cycle ride for charity that occurs annually, attracting some quite big names from the sport.
Traditionally London's commoner elements escaped to Margate for the sun. If anyone watched Only Fools and Horses they'd know what I meant. Wheras, the middle classes went to Brighton or further afield. So the route from "Soho to Brighton" is well trod by many who get their first car/moped/etc living in the capital. Myself included.
It's weird sometimes when I think about what's made famous by our musicians. It's amusing watching the escapades of tourists at the Abbey Road crossing. There's a webcam just for that reason, or maybe it's for litigation purposes when the inevitable happens.

Just throwing this out there, as I've been thinking but have not turned anything up yet...... The late Sir Patrick Moore's observations focused mainly on the moon. He lived in Selsey, another coastal town in Sussex. Maybe he was responsible for naming some minor lunar features.
However, to throw some regolith on my tenuous new theory, I believe Sir Pat's research focused on the moon's limbs.

*Brighton Beach's latitude and longitude coordinates (-33.4375 +41.125) on Earth is a watery point in the middle of the North Atlantic.

What does it mean? I have no idea...I checked out of curiosity, to see if there was some sort of Dan Brown-esque riddle involved. :lol:

What system did you use? Sounds like it got confused between the two and placed its location equidistant between New York and Sussex.

Last edited:

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score

:lol:, I dont know, Martins doesnt seem like the type thats big into Easter eggs, but I cant just see him slapping down a pin onto a lunar map & saying "there that one". I would love to find out the reason.

I wonder if hes seen this thread, & doesn't want to give up the secret ;).

Not barefoot or with older siblings, trust me. It's all pebbles especially larger toward the shoreline. That vid doesn't show it all, there's some humongous stones on that beach (unless it's eroded so far in the 25 years since I've been :blink:). It's not so safe if you have an older brother either, I still bear scars from his impromptu pebble fights . Such is life for the nerdy younger brother.

Well, I was thinking of the issues involved in tanning on carcinogenic sand, but Im sure the pebbles hurt too.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
picture.php

shot in the dark, but maybe it's based on this little feature here(with arrow) on the moon. Perhaps through a telescope it kind of looks like a boardwalk by a little city (mountains). I got the image from Google moon.

That would also help explain the train to no where at Brighton Beach Base. The base is oriented a little different than the land feature, but is located in pretty much the same spot. The orientation can be explained by simplified rotation, as in it is simply a rectangle plopped down and oriented with cardinal directions.

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 PM ----------

sinusiridum-WirthsLPOD2.jpg

really kind of looks the part here, I could imagine those as piers

Last edited:

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
If I were Martin and I saw this thread, I would be concocting some sort of legend/myth/conspiracy theory right about now and then leaking it onto the forum with sock puppet accounts or something...

If there is no offical Brighton Beach named on the Moon in real life, I say we pledge as Orbinauts that should any one of us ever personally get there in the future we should publicly proclaim that location to be Brighton Beach.

Who's with me?

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If I were Martin and I saw this thread, I would be concocting some sort of legend/myth/conspiracy theory right about now and then leaking it onto the forum with sock puppet accounts or something...

If there is no offical Brighton Beach named on the Moon in real life, I say we pledge as Orbinauts that should any one of us ever personally get there in the future we should publicly proclaim that location to be Brighton Beach.

Who's with me?

Hmm, setting aside the odds of going to the moon, Brightons at a fairly high latitude, not as accessible as some locations.

Want conspiracy myth legetheory!

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score

Who's with me?

I'm game. Granted, I'm probably not going there in my lifetime, but one can always hope! :p