News Petition for doubling NASA budget

Alfastar

да
Reaction score
Well, the penny4NASA action is not really new. Its started somewhere in 2012, I don't known the exactly date of it.

Sadly petitions as this got a lot less attention by the mass, but silly petitions as ruining you economy by building a death star for silly reasons got a lot much attention by the mass.

Unstung

Reaction score
There's been a successful petition to the White House about doubling NASA's budget which got the usual unhelpful response.

Personally, doubling NASA's budget is unrealistic and Penny4NASA's reasoning is naive. For example, Neil deGrasse Tyson's speeches are not a justification for giving NASA an extra $18 billion. Asking to give NASA a few billion extra dollars is a more effective argument that can be defended. It will let NASA complete its goals without giving the agency excess money. The Planetary Society is essentially fighting for one mission to Europa which is having an effect in Congress.

Last edited:

RacerX

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
In all honesty I just dont see this as a motivating factor for NASA. I am sure it has the best intentions at heart. NASA is as any other gov't agency. It is all bogged down in politics. I will leave it at that. No need for a political discussion here.

FADEC

Reaction score
I would like to see a doubling of NASA's efficiency rather than just a doubling of the budget.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I would like to see a manned mission to Mars next year that costs only 1$ :dry:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I would like to see a doubling of NASA's efficiency rather than just a doubling of the budget.

How do you measure efficiency? by energy consumed and work done?:facepalm:

FADEC

Reaction score
How do you measure efficiency? by energy consumed and work done?:facepalm:

Efficiency also is a measure of economy, as you certainly know. And by reading the forum, it turns out that you are a NASA critics as well, for the same reasons I am.

How do I measure it personally? Well, by programs which are not bloated and primarily intended to create and keep jobs while producing blue prints, animations and hardware parts that never fly.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Efficiency also is a measure of economy, as you certainly know. And by reading the forum, it turns out that you are a NASA critics as well, for the same reasons I am.

How do I measure it personally? Well, by programs which are not bloated and primarily intended to create and keep jobs while producing blue prints, animations and hardware parts that never fly.

And how would you remedy the situation?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

No, I am a US space politics critic. While there is a lot of things that NASA does wrong (who doesn't?), the biggest problem is what US politicians do to NASA.

And as you can thus conclude: I have different reasons to be critical.

How do you measure bloat? Even for something as simple as software, bloat is not easily detected. A good and a bad space program can start completely identical, use the same processes, but end differently.

If you want to claim that NASA needs tighter controlling, you have my full agreement. If you say that NASA needs tighter control by politics, I would disagree. NASA needs more distance to politics.

When a space project takes ten years to finish, it goes through at least two presidents, multiple senate changes, multiple congress elections... and all want to change the rules completely by which NASA has to play. That can't be good.

Because of that role NASA plays in US politics, it also can't develop proper mechanisms to monitor itself and its own progress. NASA is not accountable to itself, only to others, and the others come and go.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
And how would you remedy the situation?

Presumably FADEC would remedy the situation by axing programs that are "bloated and primarily intended to create and keep jobs while producing blue prints, animations and hardware parts that never fly".

Whether one agrees with this or not aside, he does have a point; it's useless to simply pour more money into a program without regard for how that money is spent. Every organisation will be inefficient to a degree, but that doesn't mean one should take a defeatist attitude to improving efficiency, or compare any efforts or suggestions for doing so to pie-in-the-sky nonsense like Mars missions for a dollar.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Here we go again... :flowers::flowers::flowers: