Playback of IMFD manual tutorial Earth to Mars crashes.

Killer Toilet

Reaction score
Not crash the whole program, but makes it VERY unstable as soon as time acceleration goes on. This is the manual that contains the tutorial: [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4142"]IMFD Full Manual/Playbacks[/ame]

To make the playback function properly, I had to change the properties of the XR2 Ravenstar to have these properties:

RequirePayloadBayFuelTanks=0
EnableAFCtrlPerformanceModifier=0
Main Fuel ISP=7
Scram Fuel ISP=2
LOXLoadout=9
LOXConsumptionRate=-1
Main Engine Thrust=1
Hover Engine Thrust=1
APUFuelBurnRate=1

If I don't have the properties, then the playback WILL function until the crew is dead from lack of oxygen (which is not supposed to happen). So what should I do to fix this if at all? Is there any more versions of Orbiter 2006 that doesn't crash on the playbacks (or on the Beta if someone could give me a link)?

Killer Toilet

Reaction score
Is there anything I am missing from IMFD that I can't do elsewhere?

So far, I only used IMFD to go to the moon, and try to understand what goes on in the tutorial. But here's the problem. I want to go to Mars but the playback of "Earth to Mars" crashes every time it goes into time acceleration.

Is there anything that I need to understand what I need to do with IMFD during spaceflight such as using AB to perform the midcourse correction when I am halfway there? Also, why is it that the "minimum fuel" in that tutorial like that when I could easily get a lower oV than what the tutorial says?

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
What tutorial is this?

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Mod note: threads merged since these issues relate to the same thing.

---------- Post added at 16:37 ---------- Previous post was at 16:13 ----------

Not crash the whole program, but makes it VERY unstable as soon as time acceleration goes on.
If I don't have the properties, then the playback WILL function until the crew is dead from lack of oxygen (which is not supposed to happen).
the playback of "Earth to Mars" crashes every time it goes into time acceleration.
I'm trying to understand what is going on here. Does it "crash" (as in Orbiter quits to the desktop), become "unstable" (if so, please define what that means) or does the crew just run out of oxygen?

If the last one, it seems the playback scenario file doesn't contain the config settings for the XR2. Maybe someone more familiar with that vessel can help with the settings there.

Is there anything that I need to understand what I need to do with IMFD during spaceflight such as using AB to perform the midcourse correction when I am halfway there?
You perform midcourse corrections like any other burn in IMFD, ie, make sure the target (Mars) and source (your XR2) are correct, adjust the eject and arrival times to minimise the dV, and then burn.

Also, why is it that the "minimum fuel" in that tutorial like that when I could easily get a lower oV than what the tutorial says?
Assuming you mean "dV", and you are looking at the Course program, lowering the "dV" may also increase the "iV", resulting in a net increase in "Tot". "iV" is the velocity change required to match velocity with the target when you arrive there. Normally, what you want to minimise is "Tot" as it results in the lowest overall fuel usage. The exception is if you plan on aerobraking into Mars orbit, in which case minimising "dV" would be better.

Killer Toilet

Reaction score
Here's what happens in order when I change the configuration settings of the XR2 Ravenstar to what the playback supposedly needs to play correctly:

First of all, the program freezes for a few seconds (the clocks stop completely).

Then the game then quickly goes into the 10,000x time frame trying to make up for the time lost in the freeze.

A few seconds later, the ship is "launched" into space that is not part of the playback, but acts like it bounced INTO (not off of, but through) the Earth. I believe it's launched into the inner solar system, but in a one way direction. This is not normal.

Here's what happens when I don't change the properties of the XR2 Ravenstar but leave it at default settings:

The oxygen is only set to 14 days. The crew dies before I could even see what to do in the mid-course correction IN the playback due to a lack of oxygen.

Tommy

Reaction score
To solve the crashing problem, open the playback's scenario file and delete all vessels except the XR-2, and perhaps the ISS. That worked for me, but I never did figure out exactly what caused the crash - it only seems to affect some computers.

oV is only part of the total Delta-V, fV also plays a large part, as does pV if the planes aren't closely aligned - which, on a mars trip, they won't be. You can adjust for lowest total Delta - V to minimise fuel use.

Last edited:

Killer Toilet

Reaction score
To solve the crashing problem, open the playback's scenario file and delete all vessels except the XR-2, and perhaps the ISS. That worked for me, but I never did figure out exactly what caused the crash - it only seems to affect some computers.

oV is only part of the total Delta-V, fV also plays a large part, as does pV if the planes aren't closely aligned - which, on a mars trip, they won't be. You can adjust for lowest total Delta - V to minimise fuel use.

If I could do the easy way out, then I would delete everything, delete every add-on I don't find useful, and then try over again. I just hope I didn't mess anything up in the old one if I do delete and re-do everything.

And thanks for the help with the fV and the pV, but could see what I could do with minimizing all of them. Is it recommended to do it while in Earth orbit while I am planning a trip to Mars?

markl316

XR2 Ravenstar Commander
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Hi everybody. It's been a while. College.

I haven't looked at the manual in a while, but I seem to vaguely recall giving exact XR2 parameters for the playbacks to work? Did I not? Because if I didn't, I'll have to update.

Also, like about what percent of people have trouble with the playbacks? May I suggest running them on a clean install with only the XR2 Ravenstar and IMFD (planets don't have to look pretty when you're learning)? Maybe that would work also. Yeah, delete all vessels. That should help. These playbacks were made on a gaming laptop (GeForce GTX 260M, 4GB ram, 2.0 GHz dual core) so if you're running on a low end computer, it may crash. This is also why I recommend using a clean install, with no hires textures.

If people want, I can redo these playbacks with a more "standard" ship. But the delta glider won't make some of these trips. I forgot; did I use the standard delta glider on most? Because I should have used the XR2 on the Earth to Mars, and that's it. I can redo some playbacks, but it'll take a while. I've got finals, and I'm nearing my private pilot checkride.

Hope this helps,
Mark

Last edited:

Tommy

Reaction score
And thanks for the help with the fV and the pV, but could see what I could do with minimizing all of them. Is it recommended to do it while in Earth orbit while I am planning a trip to Mars?

Yes, if you can't do it sooner. Unless you plan to rendevous with, or are starting from, a station, this should be done well before launch. That way you can launch directly into the ejection plane at the best time to do so (ie, launch heading closest to 90 degrees).