Post-Ike

GregBurch

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
A quick post to let folks here know my wife and I and our zoo are OK. We just got electricity back. Ain't been fun. Especially since I didn't get to shoot a single looter ....

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Especially since I didn't get to shoot a single looter ....

Well, from looking at the pictures of some villages on the coast, Ike made sure that there is not much to be looted left. Starting a fishing business quickly could be more profitable.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Thank probe you're all right.
The remnants of Ike is going to hit us later tonight, but it's down to 15-20 m/s now, so I don't think many people will take notice.

Reaction score
Yeay! Glad to hear my favorite modder is alright! I can't really get much on the local levels, but the pictures I've seen have been mostly the same. The entire neighborhood a mucky field with one house still standing. I was just hoping I didn't know anybody who lived there... I'm happy your alright! Too bad there wasn't a looter for you.

I remember a few years ago hearing about a guy who was going to loot a wind-blown house, the awning fell on him nearly killing him.

He sued the homeowner and won.

:censored:

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
I remember a few years ago hearing about a guy who was going to loot a wind-blown house, the awning fell on him nearly killing him.

He sued the homeowner and won.

:censored:
If I was home owner I would have claimed that house was safe before the winds were there, so sue the wind.

@Greg: I am glad you are Ok. I call it Orbiter karma, divine payment for all the addons you have made. :)

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
how are the other members who got hit by Ike ?

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Ike aint been pretty, forever let its mark in history.

GregBurch

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Ike aint been pretty, forever let its mark in history.

Some of you may have seen video of the Chase Tower in Houston. That's my office dangling out of the shattered windows. I'll be going up there for the first time tomorrow. Not looking forward to it, even though we got all the real paper files into the interior, and we're 100% backed-up remotely and, I'm glad to say, operating without interruption electronically. But the office I've been in for a decade, with 20+ years of memorabilia and the furniture I designed and in one case built myself ... I'm afraid that's all gone ...

Usonian

Historic Ship & Base Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
A quick post to let folks here know my wife and I and our zoo are OK. We just got electricity back. Ain't been fun. Especially since I didn't get to shoot a single looter ....

Well done, Greg! I trust you set yourselves up with non-perishable food and plenty of water before the storm. It's hard to believe how many folks weren't prepared, especially with something like two weeks warning. But maybe the reports we hear are just the media doing their usual best to exagerate the most extreme cases of stupidity.

-----Posted Added-----

Some of you may have seen video of the Chase Tower in Houston. That's my office dangling out of the shattered windows. I'll be going up there for the first time tomorrow. Not looking forward to it, even though we got all the real paper files into the interior, and we're 100% backed-up remotely and, I'm glad to say, operating without interruption electronically. But the office I've been in for a decade, with 20+ years of memorabilia and the furniture I designed and in one case built myself ... I'm afraid that's all gone ...

Ouch! This came up while I was writing my last. Give things a chance to dry out - you may be surprised. And if something is warpped, but otherwise functional, then it has a story to tell.

GregBurch

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Well done, Greg! I trust you set yourselves up with non-perishable food and plenty of water before the storm. It's hard to believe how many folks weren't prepared, especially with something like two weeks warning. But maybe the reports we hear are just the media doing their usual best to exagerate the most extreme cases of stupidity.

Actually, we were pretty well prepared in our neighborhood, and we all helped each other like champs -- we had a few generators, plenty of food and water, and Tylenol for the aching backs from brush clearing. We took turns b*tching about the power outage and being grateful that, after the first day, the temperature was unseasonably cool, so at least we could sleep at night.

As I said above, the only real bummer was the lack of looters ...

BTW, Scott, I tried emailing you to let you know we were OK when my crackberry came back up, but the email address I had in my contacts must have been old, because I got a bounce.

Usonian

Historic Ship & Base Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
OK, I am feeling charitable (the Left chambers of my Liberal heart are bleeding for... you??) So, here is something to cheer you up - gasoline topped out at $4.00 per gallon in our neighborhood.

I did my own Ike preparations by filling up last week.

GregBurch

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
OK, I am feeling charitable (the Left chambers of my Liberal heart are bleeding for... you??) So, here is something to cheer you up - gasoline topped out at $4.00 per gallon in our neighborhood.

I did my own Ike preparations by filling up last week.

As soon as my power came up, we had a teleconference with Mr. Cheney. He reported that the Halliburton Global Warming machine was working as planned, and that our goal of driving up your gasoline prices was being achieved.

I did lodge a complaint with him about the lack of looters, specifically reminding him that he had promised me that I would get to shoot some this time. For some reason, he's very sensitive about anything to do with shooting ... go figure ...

adamb193

Lighting Geek
Reaction score
Wow my schools the only school in the county with power, and we are one of the few with power too. Kind of sucks.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
That guy who owns this house is one lucky B*****d
ike11.jpg

Reaction score
That particular house is coming down too... Structurally unsound, check out the stairs and the stilts...

I saw that one in the paper.

-----Posted Added-----

Crud! Take a look at the ground its sitting on! Its washed away from beneath it!