Pre-Compiled Orbiter Idea

Zach121k

Reaction score
Would It be a good idea to have an orbiter download that is already compiled with some of the best addons (with the permission of the poster of course)?

I am a long time Orbinaut, since 2005, and some of the major problems I have had with this game are the amount of addons other addons need (Then those addons need addons, etc), addons that interfere with other addons, and just the complexity of getting some things to work.

Here's my Idea. We can go through the Hangar and get the base of what's current, recent, and historic. Space Shuttle Ultra (All It's Components), Orbiter Sound, Delta Glider, UMMU, Falcon9R/Heavy, ETC. Any apps that are Uniform and reliable.

In addition, we could (maybe) update the scenery of Orbiter and fill out the Pads and use high res textures.

Is this a feasible idea, especially for new people who want the best experience the first time they play Orbiter?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
That is called a "distribution" and that is nothing new - actually there are some distributions around. Some extremely large and extremely bad maintained.

Remember: A distribution means work. You need to maintain it. When an add-on gets updated, Orbiter gets a new version, something does not work, you need to react.

If you want to start there, make a small one and make sure you ask the add-on developers first. Not all have given you license to include their add-ons without their consent into your distribution and its more polite to ask and inform them first anyway. Especially if your distribution gets popular and mentioning that this add-on is on your distribution is good advertisement.

Don't make the mistake and forget support. When somebody has problems with your distribution, you are the "single point of contact" and should feel responsible to get help. Otherwise you make Orbiter look bad as whole.

I could for example imagine a large ZIP file with Orbiter, SSU and some recommended add-ons bundled as "instant SSU folder distribution". But that requires effort.

gertz

Reaction score
To not to start a new thread, I'd like to ask how would people consider a stripped from default files version of Orbiter, which would offer a different star system, space and aircrafts, vehicles, robotic units, all new default textures and sounds, pre-set of MDFs and other stuff to create a compete "ecosystem" of add-ons to provide all-new world from the box?

And in general - how do foks here tolerate hard science fiction? Speaking of not-so-near future, different stellar system, different technology level.

Zach121k

Reaction score
To not to start a new thread, I'd like to ask how would people consider a stripped from default files version of Orbiter, which would offer a different star system, space and aircrafts, vehicles, robotic units, all new default textures and sounds, pre-set of MDFs and other stuff to create a compete "ecosystem" of add-ons to provide all-new world from the box?

And in general - how do folks here tolerate hard science fiction? Speaking of not-so-near future, different stellar system, different technology level.

Personally, Science Fiction is not my forte. If it's not real, it's not my cup of tea.

thepenguin

Flying Penguin
Addon Developer
Reaction score

And in general - how do foks here tolerate hard science fiction? Speaking of not-so-near future, different stellar system, different technology level.

I think that people around here are willing to welcome any level of science or fiction. If you make it, then people will probably use it. I wouldn't expect DGIV-level popularity, but I think that any high quality addons are always in demand.

gertz

Reaction score
I see, thank you. Hijacking a thread no more.

sorindafabico

Reaction score
I suggest a "real-world" distro, with AMSO, ISS v3.2 and other real vessels, if someone has time and patience to do it.

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Distributing an add-on compilation may be difficult both technically and legally.

However, may I suggest that you have a look CsvInstall: you give it a list of add-ons and it will download and install them for you. So you'd only need to compile and distribute the CSV files...

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The "pre-compiled distribution" concept is also core to this addon installer idea I published years ago: http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=8768

Perhaps I should revisit it and continue development, if there is enough interest in such a thing.