Gaming Race Into Space discussion thread

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Nice, better late than never :)

And here's a convenient list if you search player names as a NASA administrator :

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Administrator_of_the_National_Aeronautics_and_Space_Administration"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Administrator_of_the_National_Aeronautics_and_Space_Administration[/ame]

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
What were you doing anyway? That i have no idea how you could delay it any further then that.

You have 20 years, starting in Spring 1957. The last turn is Fall 1977.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Manned Historical Lunar Landing : 25 November 1969

That victory is quite historically accurate ! Just 5 months late...

US_Victory.jpg

Armstrong, Aldrin & Collins had 3 major firsts : 3-Manned spacecraft (15 pts), Lunar Orbit (20 pts) and Manned Lunar Landing (40 pts). Which allowed them to stick together. Truly an elite crew, each one with a lot of points, greatly contributed to victory by easing odds. Aldrin 4 LM pts were invaluable, since my only attempt for LM test failed (LM frozen). It was then 90%(R&D) - 9%(penalty for 0 LM pts) + 4%(Aldrin skill) = 85% reliable.

US_Victory_3.jpg

The Soviets were not even a nuisance, I got all the firsts.

US_Victory_2.jpg

Statistics

Casualties : 1 (Glenn, automobile accident...)
Avg. Safety of the Lunar Landing : 91%
Missions : 29 (not much)
Manned Missions (attempts/successes) : 16/11 (not that bad).
Director Rating : 204 pts
Avg. Budget : 89 MBs (and 160 MB the last year...)

Space History

May : Explorer I (failure, -3 pts, pad destroyed !)

May : Explorer II (failure, -3 pts).
Nov : Mercury I (Suborbital, 18 pts). Crew : Grissom.

May : Explorer III (success, orbital satellite, 12 pts).
Oct : Explorer IV (success, 1 pt)
Dec : Mercury II (success, Earth Orbital, 12 pts). Crew : Grissom (again !).

Apr : Mercury III (unmanned).
Jun : Mercury IV (success, duration B, 3 pts). Crew : Cooper.
Oct : Mercury V (unmanned).
Dec : Mercury VI (success, B, 1 pt). Crew : Slayton.

1962 :
April : Explorer V (1 pt).
Jun : Explorer VI (1 pt).
Scrubbed : Gemini I.

1963 :
May : Gemini II (Jt. u. docking, failed).
Oct : Gemini III (orbital docking, failed, negative ignition, -7 pts). Crew : Cooper, Schirra.
Dec : Gemini IV (2-manned spacecraft, duration C, first EVA, first manned docking, 28 pts). Crew : Grissom, Carpenter.

May : Gemini V (Jt. m. docking EVA, success, 1 pt). Crew : R.White, See.
Oct : Gemini VI (orbital OEX (C), docking failure, 1 pt). Crew : Conrad, Lovell.
Dec : Gemini VII (orbital OEX (D), success, duration D, 1 pt). Crew : Grissom, Carpenter.

May : Gemini VIII (Jt. orbital D-E (D), success, 1 pt). Crew : Crews, Shepard.
Nov : Gemini IX (orbital-OEX (E), duration failure, 1 pt). Crew : Conrad, Lovell.

Ranger I : Scrubbed.
Ranger II : Scrubbed.
Nov : Ranger III (Lunar flyby, success, 5 pts).

May : Apollo I (orbital-EX(E), duration failure, first manned spacecraft, 15 pts). Crew : Armstrong, Aldrin, Collins.
Nov : Apollo II (manned lunar pass, success, 12 pts). Crew : R. White, Mitchell, McCandless.

Apr : Apollo III (manned lunar orbital, success, 20 pts). Crew : Armstrong, Aldrin, Collins.
Jun : Ranger V (lunar flyby, success, 2 pts).
Oct : Ranger VI (lunar flyby, failure, -3 pts).
Dec : Ranger VII (lunar flyby, success, 2 pts).

May : Apollo IV (Earth orbital LM test EVA, partial failure (LM frozen), 1 pt). Crew : Crews, Lovell, Shepard. First Saturn-V used.
Nov : Apollo V (Historical Manned Lunar Landing, success, 40 pts). Crew : Armstrong, Aldrin, Collins.

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
From wikipedia: "The first imprint in the lunar surface is in fact made by a helmet visor. Crewman okay." :uhh:

Did anyone ever have such a "failure"?

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Version 1.1 released !

From http://sourceforge.net/p/raceintospace/news/?source=navbar

Download

Version 1.1 released!

To celebrate independence day for one of the countries in the game (and mostly because the timing just worked out that way), we've put out a new release. Enjoy!

Version 1.1 has a few more visual cues to make the game administration easier, especially in the R&D building. Technology transfer is now no longer all or nothing; you can get partial credit now if your component isn't quite up to 75%. Advanced Training now has several improvements, including that if you withdraw someone early but they've completed half the training, they now get half credit rather than nothing at all. See the release notes under Files for more details

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I definitively think that experienced cosmonauts (number of flights achieved and time spent in space) help to soften failures a lot. "Major problem" tends to almost always mean death for fresh recruits. I like when veteran cosmonauts make their space heroes job. :thumbup:

Kbjzq5V.jpg

Alfastar

да
Reaction score
I definitively think that experienced cosmonauts (number of flights achieved and time spent in space) help to soften failures a lot. "Major problem" tends to almost always mean death for fresh recruits. I like when veteran cosmonauts make their space heroes job. :thumbup:

Kbjzq5V.jpg

Well, is it really in BARIS that veterans have a higher survival chance, or depends it more about the skills of the Astronauts / Cosmonauts?

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I think that the two work in a slightly different way.

The skills add 0-4% to the safety check. It is extremely important : the max safety for spacecrafts is 94%, never above. But with an extremely competent pilot, you get to 98%, and then your odds are much better on complex missions (Voskhod is dangerous for lunar missions because it has a max safety of 92% only).

About experience, I'd say, for having played the game a LOT (I have the original box !) though I can't formally prove it, that it affects the "failures tables" (when you fail a check, there is a second roll you don't see that decides how bad the failure is) in a positive way. With experienced astronauts/cosmonauts, I much often had events like "negative ignition, but crew was able to perform a makeshift burn" or "complex instrumentation failure, repaired by crew under ground guidance" etc... When unexperienced recruits, even skilled, are in that case, they have much more often "negative ignition, craft stranded in orbit, crew dead" or "complete onboard systems failures, crews has a few hours of portable oxygen to live on"...

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
I tried it. It's interesting.

For all the research that went into this, the most jarring thing for me was that Atlas and R-7 can NOT be used to launch lunar probes, even with a kicker. :facepalm:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
For all the research that went into this, the most jarring thing for me was that Atlas and R-7 can NOT be used to launch lunar probes, even with a kicker.

You can fix this by changing a line in the config file. It's all explained in the Readme.txt. Don't worry, the coders know what spaceflight is.

You can also "soften" astro/cosmonauts compatibility, which makes the game much more interesting IMHO (because that way you can really build crews of specialized veterans, and using advanced training is much more interesting).

There is also an option to rename hardware, so take time to read the readme.

Last edited:

Alfastar

да
Reaction score
You can fix this by changing a line in the config file. It's all explained in the Readme.txt. Don't worry, the coders know what spaceflight is.

You can also "soften" astro/cosmonauts compatibility, which makes the game much more interesting IMHO (because that way you can really build crews of specialized veterans, and using advanced training is much more interesting).

There is also an option to rename hardware, so take time to read the readme.

Well, what for line must I edit then? I don't see something what says something like that 'fix'

And must I put behind "compt_nauts" the numbers?

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The file is located in the directory where your savegames are stored. For me it was in "C:\Users\Myname\.raceintospace". Then open the "config" file with Notepad.

You have, amongst other options :

Code:
# Set to non-zero to enable Atlas rockets in lunar missions.
# altasLunar

# Set the compatibility level of nauts (10 is default, 1 complete).
# compt_nauts

Which you should set to (see how I remove the #) :

Code:
altasLunar 1

compt_nauts 1

For that last one any integer from 1 to 10 is valid, as said in the comment 10 is the hardest (and default) setting, and with 1 you'll never have any conflict between 'nauts. Currently I use 3 and it's really OK.

Alfastar

да
Reaction score
The file is located in the directory where your savegames are stored. For me it was in "C:\Users\Myname\.raceintospace". Then open the "config" file with Notepad.

You have, amongst other options :

Code:
# altasLunar

# compt_nauts

Which you should set to (see how I remove the #) :

Code:
altasLunar 1

compt_nauts 1

For that last one any integer from 1 to 10 is valid, as said in the comment 10 is the hardest (and default) setting, and with 1 you'll never have any conflict between 'nauts. Currently I use 3 and it's really OK.

Well, I looked, but I can't find the "Set to non-zero to enable Atlas rockets in lunar missions" thing. Are that line in you config file, or must I make a new code in the lines?

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Well, I looked, but I can't find the "Set to non-zero to enable Atlas rockets in lunar missions" thing. Are that line in you config file, or must I make a new code in the lines?

That's not in the order I posted above. It must be there if you have version 1.0 or 1.1

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Try to save your game. Maybe the folder is created only after you save.