News Reaction Engines News

Dickie

Wannabe Rocket Scientist
Donator
Reaction score
Would this be an application for SABRE? If this is only operating at 60,000ft then the SABRE would still be in air-breathing mode, although the performance would still be impressive.

I'm assuming cost is a factor, as is the readiness level of SABRE - I'm sure I've heard somewhere that the general principle is either a new airframe or new engine, not both at the same time. It would be very interesting though if REL launch an air-breathing only version of SABRE and managed to make it affordable enough to compete with conventional turbojets.

Either way, I'm glad that this is even happening alongside Skylon etc!

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Agreed, it doesn't read like SABRE, but from what little they tell you, its the heat-exchanger that's revolutionary. Megawatts of coolth in milli-secs.
Maybe RR are using part of the design?

There's nothing on the REL web-site yet.

UK government has form on these projects. Scrapped BLUE STREAK, viable launcher, and didn't develop the HOTOL.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Aerospace_HOTOL

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
Reaction Engines are conceptualizing a hypersonic variant of Skylon, which will fly at hypersonic speeds using the jet variant of SABRE (maybe SABJE).

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
I think the maiden flight of the Skylon vehicle won't occur on any airports of London, because the airports of London are trying to minimise the traffic of the Heathrow Airport, one of the busiest airports in the world.