Advanced Question Reentry Anticipation

Nemoricus

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm planning on running a series of tests with a number of different spacecraft, mostly capsules, to see how they behave with different reentry conditions.

While I can directly figure out most things like the reentry angle and speed at entry interface, I'm not sure how to determine the reentry anticipation from the spacecraft's position at entry interface and ultimate landing site.

Any thoughts on this matter?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It is just the angular distance around the great circle of over entry interface and landing site. Anticipation = 360° would be once around Earth. ;)

Nemoricus

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hmm....right, but how does one go from coordinates on the sphere to the angle of the arc of that great circle? I hope that I'm not just missing something really obvious here.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Hmm....right, but how does one go from coordinates on the sphere to the angle of the arc of that great circle? I hope that I'm not just missing something really obvious here.

Look at a clock. You have two arrows there...what is the angle between the two arrows? ;) The great circle is a 2D object, like all circles. A cut through the sphere, that passes through the center of the sphere and two points.