Flight Question Reentry at right point?

ryanch06

Reaction score
How can i know when to reenter the atmosphere so im close to cape canaveral because each attempt i make i end up in the middle of the ocean and have to fly miles to get there?

McWgogs

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.photoblog.pl
[nomedia="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2139"]AeroBrakeMFD[/nomedia]

This should help you a lot

Warped

Reaction score
I'm not an expert with this, but this is what I do to re-enter.

Make sure you're orbital plane is over the Cape, then find out your sink-rate and vertical speed. (I'm not sure of the exact formula to use to find where to re-enter) then do your retrograde burn.

I haven't tried this, but you could use the Re-entry MFD
http://www.orbitermars.co.uk/

AtlantisOnline

Reaction score
Areobrake MFD and do your deorbit burn about half way around the world from where you want to land

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
i find that it makes for a smoother ride if you add some slack to your descent...
using basesync MFD, i deorbit from the other side of the world, but keep burning untill my freefall path leads about 1/3 of the way too short...

that seems to be enough to compensate for the added lift, which basesync doesn't compute.. this works for the DG... but since it's a very seat-of-my-pants approach, i would suggest some further reading on this particular aspect

then, (on earth) i turn prograde and "button up" the ship when about 200k alt... at some point between 150k and 100k you'll start getting some dynamic pressure... the DG thould reenter at a stalled-wing AoA... from 30 do 40 degs nose up... then hang on for the ride, ad use AeroBrake MFD to guide your ship down, you don't need a autopilot for this... just keep KILLROT on and use the stick for fine adjustmets...

do it right and you should go subsonic just over the target base, with roughly 15k of altitude to maneuver onto the runway...

then just glide 'er in...

cheerz