Question Returning Earth from the Moon

Major Tom

Aircraftman
Reaction score
I just posted a tutorial at Orbit Hanger (it's called Home Direct) that shows how to use IMFD to plan a course from the moon to Earth. It covers setting the Planet Approach program, using Surface Launch program to take off on the right heading, ...

Tommy

When going from Moon to Earth, I am unable to use IMFD 5.1 until out of the moon's SOI. Can you outline the settings you used for Surface Launch and Planet Approach while you were on the moon's surface.

I am using DGIV, but the settings should be the same.

Thanks

Tommy

Reaction score
The source must be the body whose SOI you are in. In this case, when you open Planet Approach, press the <PG> buttons, select SRC, and type "moon". The reference will be correct by default, and if you wish you can change the target to a specific orbit such as "e" or target a station such as "iss". Changing targets is not needed, the only things you really need to change are the SRC, Alt, and TeJ.

The "Home Direct" tutorial covers this in more detail, and allows you to set up IMFD allong with the on-screen intructions. I find it's easier to learn by doing, rather than reading a forum post then trying to remember what to do once Orbiter is running.