Returning to Orbiting

MeDiCS

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Wow, I didn't know until now that OF offered a blog to every and each member, so I had the brilliant idead of actually posting something, but what? Lurking some other blogs, I've found that most use it as a kind of adventure journal, to tell the story of (mostly) succesful flights.

So I decided to do the same ;).

Anyway, I was just getting back to orbiting but I couldn't remember anything. Downloaded Orbiter and some essential addons (OrbitSound, AutoSave, DGIV, UMMu) plus better textures to make Orbiter look prettier (Earth Lv10 by Seth Eden, Another Sun Texture, Another Contrail Texture and OAVE-NG). I then loaded the DGIV scenario KSC to ISS, dunped all passengers, changed the DGIV skin and decided to make things more interesting...

Maybe some kind of story, instead of just fligh logs? First I needed a protagonist: Johnson Meines is a great name! He's 39 and have 14 years of experience flying millitary airplanes. He's now a two-year nasa employee, assigned to test a prototype of the so-called Delta Glider IV at Cape Canaveral. He had never heard of other Delta Gliders so the though that a fourth version sounded strangely funny.

The big day came, and there he was alone, inside this very strange ship, but very much alike the B2 "Stealth Bomber". He never quite liked that plane...

09_07_30_19-21-44_GL-01.jpg

He wasn't nervours. He once was in the millitary after all...

And the time came. His mission was simple: lift-off and climb to 10.000 meters, do a wide left turn and land on the runway 32. Easy. Soon, the new Mark I engines started a very lour roar, pushing Johnson against his seat, and accelerating his whole world.

09_07_30_19-22-16_GL-01.jpg

A few minutes lates he was almost at the desired alttitude of 10 kilometers.

09_07_30_19-23-15_GL-01.jpg

He leveled, made a quick check of all instruments, throttled down the engine and made a left turn, a bit sharper than he desired.

He was nervous after all.

09_07_30_19-24-47_GL-01.jpg

He then set the appropriate frequency for the HSI MFD to help final alignment, and then shut it off. "I don't need this". The DGIV was actually very easy to maneuver.

09_07_30_19-29-03_GL-01.jpg

Engine off, gears down. He was perfectly aligned with the runway, but a bit too fast in fact. "Nothing that a good aerobrake wouldn't fix.", he smiled to himself.

09_07_30_19-31-00_GL-01.jpg

A red light then started blinking, AB Jam. He had to apply full brakes to avoid hitting the dirt, and so he did, but it wasn't enough.

09_07_30_19-32-43_GL-01.jpg

Too bad for him, better luck next time :p.

----------------------------------------

Wow, there you are! Not the best, I admit, but it might be more fun to read than simple flight logs ;).

The problem with the aerobrake did actually happen. I franatically pushed CTRL+B to deploy them to no avail, and had weel stop about half a kilometer off the runway.

Better luck next time.

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Cool flight story.