Advanced Question 3D modelling for Orbiter

Snax

Space Cowboy
Reaction score
Hi, not sure if this is the right place to ask for this.

A friend is 3D artist (examples of his work: 1, 2, 3, 4) and he's a space/flight sim fellow as well. I showed him Orbiter (and SSV), he saw that the flight deck was "old" (low poly/textures) and he offers his help to make a beautiful flight deck for SSV.

He asked me some questions that I couldn't answer. He uses Blender and asked me what is used for measurement (feet or meters), how to export to Orbiter 3D format etc.
He found this video and this plugin for export.

The next question he had, I guess the difficult one, are there plans for the Space Shuttle Flightdeck ?

Paging @GLS, @gattispilot, @Urwumpe, @DaveS in case you could help for that.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
He uses Blender and asked me what is used for measurement (feet or meters), how to export to Orbiter 3D format etc.
Metric, like everything else in Orbiter.
There are (at least) 2 such plugins, just search in the forum.

I showed him Orbiter (and SSV), he saw that the flight deck was "old" (low poly/textures) and he offers his help to make a beautiful flight deck for SSV.
The next question he had, I guess the difficult one, are there plans for the Space Shuttle Flightdeck ?
Yes, there are plans.

The much simpler "external vc", visible when looking into a window in the external view, is already much better around the windows and has the panels with a "less wrong" size/position. I had to "kick" that forward as it needed to fit the new external mesh, but left the internal/main vc mesh pretty much as it was due to other priorities.
I've also done some work in a branch to add some functionality to the crew module (add/stow seats, install/stow COAS, better vs positions, etc), that morphed into a middeck rework... which stalled due to other priorities. :cautious:
Recently, I make the MDU frames a bit better, so I could have a MDU power knob that worked properly, and that will show up in v2.0.

So, the current plan is to get the display internals working a bit more like the real thing, to allow a MCDS flight deck to work (implementing those mechanical displays, tapes and CRTs would need the correct data format coming from the GPCs). This is being worked for v2.0, and is a BIG chunk of work.
After that, the massive rework of the flight deck mesh could begin, MEDS and MCDS at the same time. This is probably the best solution, so more data is available to figure out the dimensions of the forward panels: e.g., panel F7 must fit 3 CRTs in MCDS and 5 MDUs in MEDS. The switches of panels F6 and F8 also shifted around, so that is more info to allow a better choice of sizes for switches, talkbacks, etc, which then are used all over the place, thus helping everywhere. IMO, due to the lack of information, the best solution is to make all the panels at the same time, so all the switches, talkbacks, etc, all have the same size everywhere, instead of ending up with panels with smaller switches or wrong switch layout, or having the restart everything half-way, because something doesn't fit.
BTW: all panel diagrams I've seen are not what ended up in the vehicles: there are small differences that don't help when trying to fit them together.
If that wasn't enough, lighting needs to be given some consideration. It would be a shame to need to rework the all textures to handle lighting later on. I think this is a theme that is still "in flux", with work still going on in D3D9, plus some things that were done in (the apparently dead) Skybolt graphics client.

TL;DR, a new flight deck is on this side of the horizon, but not here yet. Maybe the middeck is currently something more realistic (and the astronauts keep demanding a toilet :ROFLMAO:).

Looking at picture 1, a thing I'd definitely take now is a landing gear update. 😅

Dani77

Reaction score
Hy guys there is a tutorial for 3dcockpit modification ? Regards

llarian

Reaction score
Depending on concurrence, maybe we can convince Xyon to add a new subforum dedicated to Blender modelling for Orbiter. Opinions?

Sword7

Reaction score
Hi, not sure if this is the right place to ask for this.

A friend is 3D artist (examples of his work: 1, 2, 3, 4) and he's a space/flight sim fellow as well. I showed him Orbiter (and SSV), he saw that the flight deck was "old" (low poly/textures) and he offers his help to make a beautiful flight deck for SSV.

He asked me some questions that I couldn't answer. He uses Blender and asked me what is used for measurement (feet or meters), how to export to Orbiter 3D format etc.
He found this video and this plugin for export.

Paging @GLS, @gattispilot, @Urwumpe, @DaveS in case you could help for that.

I tried to click some above, but I was told that contents are no longer available. Also, that video show blender is very old version. The latest version is 4.0.

Also, we need to learn how to use Blender for Orbiter. Also, we need to learn how to create high-resolution terrain tiles from GIS sources.

Dani77

Reaction score
subforum dedicated to Blender mode
I thinking to improve existing 3d cockpit with higth resolution using Blender .. so another question error loading arrow fighter ( UCGO30_2010_20140109 ) but game crash up .why???

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I thinking to improve existing 3d cockpit with higth resolution using Blender .. so another question error loading arrow fighter ( UCGO30_2010_20140109 ) but game crash up .why???
Might be another chain. But what does the orbiter.log say.

If you want the STS2016 can always be improved

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Also, we need to learn how to create high-resolution terrain tiles from GIS sources.
If you mean the manual making of custom high-resolution tiles for some chosen areas of the Earth, then it's not so difficult. For example, I'm using SASGIS (SAS.Planet) to get good satellite images (here's my short instructions). Also this thread contains references to other developers.
Opinions?
 I think it would be nice to ask the addon developers to share their own experience and write some actual (modern) documentation-tutorials-examples  someday. I mean:

How to make a 3D cockpit, program buttons, make animation for flight instruments. How to make controlled surfaces, tune and animate them. How to turn a vessel mesh into a controllable vessel, which file formats are needed for this. Of course, any detailed tutorials like "How to model a plane/rocket with Blender" will be very appreciated.

Dani77

Reaction score
I attach log seems no error but crash ...what mean STS2016 ? i download
UCGO 3.0 + UMmu 3.0 - 2014 edition​

Attachments

• Orbiter.log
    3.9 KB · Views: 2
  • OrbiterSound_Log.txt
    200 bytes · Views: 0

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
STS2016 is my SPace shuutle less detailed than SSU/SSV. more like Shuttle Fleet.
Are you trying to run the Arrow in 2016? It will crash as UMMU will CTD in 2016. I know there is a 2016 version

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score

It has both the glass cockpit and the earlier STS 1 version.

I probably need to make a new zip

Also Arrow for 2016:

Last edited:

Dani77

Reaction score
I installed but now crash up log attach

D3D9: ERROR: Base Object 0x36C8B38 = 'UCGO Base Europa' not cataloged
D3D9: ERROR: MeshGroupFlag 0x8 in use (OPERATION NOT IMPLEMENTED)

Attachments

• Orbiter.log
    10.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Mixa666

Reaction score
How to create 3D models in Orbiter 2010 (I want to enlarge Picktown, add some streets, I want to build a route between Picktown to Cape Canaveral)

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I installed but now crash up log attach

D3D9: ERROR: Base Object 0x36C8B38 = 'UCGO Base Europa' not cataloged
D3D9: ERROR: MeshGroupFlag 0x8 in use (OPERATION NOT IMPLEMENTED)
What were you trying to install? 2010 or 2016

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
How to create 3D models in Orbiter 2010 (I want to enlarge Picktown, add some streets, I want to build a route between Picktown to Cape Canaveral)
This is tough. You can use a couple of 3d modeling programs. Blender, Anim8or,... to build new buildings. but you will need the original to make changes. But you could just make new building and add as vessels or part of a base

Mixa666

Reaction score
Is there a version of PIctown where there is police, fire and ambulance?

Mixa666

Reaction score
I have Blender (Steam), will it work on a PC with the following characteristics?
Processor AMD E2-9000 RADEON R2, 4 COMPUTE CORES 2C+2G 1.80 GHz
RAM 4.00 GB (available: 3.81 GB)
Video card: Radeon R2 Graphics
System type 64-bit operating system, x64 processor