Internet Rockets in music videos

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
...so I was watching the music video for Iron Maiden's 2 minutes to midnight on youtube, and I have noticed that the video's protagonist(?) has a model rocket on his table (among other, um, weird things). It can be seen several times in the video, and it is even shown in close-up once:

picture.php

(Yes, the item on the right is a ram's head.) My question is of course: can someone identify this rocket?

And this also gave me the idea for the thread: do you know any other music videos featuring rockets (or other space-related stuff)?

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
not sure this qualifies...

blixel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
This may not qualify as it's a fan-made video. But I thought he did a great job.

E

ex-orbinaut

Certainly NOT what you were thinking of, I reckon... :lol:

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, no explicit shots of a rocket or spacecraft, but a spacesuit, anyway. From the early 80s. Whoever the girl in the video is, she was super hot.

E

ex-orbinaut

Well, no explicit shots of a rocket or spacecraft, but a spacesuit, anyway. From the early 80s. Whoever the girl in the video is, she was super hot.

And another classic 80s rock tune, Peter Schilling's retelling of the Major Tom story:

I was more or less leaving it for you to add when you got around to this thread! Can't believe you missed it... :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW-8yCKwhBE"]Rush - Countdown - YouTube[/ame]

:cheers:

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
ARRRRGHHHH I have failed as a Rush fan! I must drink beer and listen to Caress of Steel until I feel better!

But, wait, there is another Rush video, one which features some sort of a cruise missile:

Tycho

Reaction score
*cough* Looks like a Ariane 2....

I'd say Ariane 1. Ariane 2 didn't fly until 1986 (which of course doesn't rule it out, but it does reduce the likelihood), and 2 Minutes to Midnight was released in 1984. Pic below of Ariane 1 mock-up looks similar.

Ariane_1_Le_Bourget_FRA_001.jpg

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I'd say Ariane 1. Ariane 2 didn't fly until 1986 (which of course doesn't rule it out, but it does reduce the likelihood), and 2 Minutes to Midnight was released in 1984. Pic below of Ariane 1 mock-up looks similar.

Yes, but the Ariane 1 has a shorter third stage compared to the Ariane 2 and Ariane 3. The Ariane 4 has a slightly longer third stage and a much longer first stage.

Either it is an Ariane 2 - or a model of an Ariane 1 with the proportions of the Ariane 2.

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thinking about it, it's entirely possible that the prop guy decided to make the model himself for whatever reason (i.e. he was under deadline and the nearest model shop had nothing fitting in stock), and he got the proportions wrong. It was 1984, so it's not like he could have ordered it on Ebay and have it fedex'ed overnight...

---------- Post added at 01:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 PM ----------

Since we're including missiles... Polish song from 1980s, Minuteman LCC and ICBMs:

blixel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
This thread reminded me of this song that I happened upon by random a couple of years ago.

EDIT: And who could forget:

Last edited:

AstroBeatle

Nowhere Man
Reaction score
Imagine Dragons' "On Top of The World" video shows a reference on the Apollo 11 moon hoax. Along with a parody 2001: A Space Odyssey's HAL 9000 (LAH 0009), and Beatles references such as the slow "Abbey Road" walk, a photo of Paul McCartney in a Mercury spacesuit (similar to my profile picture) framed in the bassist's (Ben McKee) house, the use of a heavily modernized Hofner Beatle Bass (the Icon/Ignition Series) and a Gretsch hollowbody guitar (not quite like George's, but a relatively new model called "The White Falcon").

Traveller

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
"Walking on the Moon" by the Police, shows the Saturn V on display at KSC-- back when it was outside.

JDat

Reaction score
Necro, but...

Jimmy Lloid - I got rocket in my pocket.

Also can hear in TV mini series "Space Race".