OHM Rosetta - Comet 67/P Landing Mission, ver. 3D

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: flug

ROSETTA ESA's Rosetta mission to comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko. Includes Rosetta spacecraft and Philae lander, comet 67P, asteroids 2867 Steins and 21 Lutetia. Take a look at mission highlights in the scenarios or fly it yourself from launch at Kourou 2004 to landing on the comet in 2014.

New for V.3D: Corrected 67P spin axis and obliquity (now conform to latest science data). New scenario demonstrating VERY strange orbit of 67P created by fast spin + lumpy gravity.

New for V.3C: Updated with detailed/realistic mesh of Comet 67P from the Rosetta
team, Nov 2014.  Rotational data for Comet 67/P also updated from Rosetta data.

Bases & scenarios for Philae's 67/P mission, including a scenario to replicate
Philae's "great hop" when it attempted to land on Comet 67/P.

Added rudimentary controls to Philae to allow manuevering/landing/take-offs from
Comet 67/P. 

Added a more 'lumpy' gravitational map for comet 67/P - perhaps not 100%
authentic (yet) but it definitely has some unusual twists and turns.  Updated
rotation & precession data from 67/P to be more authentic.

Requires Vinka's "spacecraft3.dll" and "multistage2.dll". Vinka's website isn't online any more but you can download the files here.

Launch scenario requires "Ari ane5" by Well&NoMatter and "Kourou-CSG" by Mustard&Papyref.  You can find those add-ons by searching here at orbithangar.com.

Full installation notes in the README.txt

v.3 Tested on Orbiter 2006 Version 060929, XP, 1.6Ghz Pentium, nVidiaFX5600XT

v.3C updated for Orbiter 2010 version 100830, Vinka's Spacecraft3.dll, IMFD, Well & Nomatter's Ariane5, additional flight notes.

Huge thanks to Brian Jones, who developed the awesome Rosetta Ver 3 and allowed these few tweaks to be added to include the Comet 67/P mesh and improved technical elements to make Ver 3D.

DOWNLOAD

Nicholander

Reaction score
The scenarios with Philae seem to be broken, for scenarios 12 and 13, Rosseta is far, FAR away from 67P, actually slowly falling towards the sun. And for Philae itself, the ground bases look like this:
gmBiTQ7.jpg

Please fix this.

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I really need help with the flight plan of this... can anyone give an hand on how to properly do the rosetta mission? I will become a very nice tutorial on how to fly a deep space mission!

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I really need help with the flight plan of this... can anyone give an hand on how to properly do the rosetta mission? I will become a very nice tutorial on how to fly a deep space mission!
Hi Fred,
I found the Rosetta mission really hard to recreate in Orbiter because of all the Earth flybys - Earth wobbles around so much because of the Moon! I had to cheat a bit and use .cfg based "marker" planets to plan the flybys, otherwise I wasted all the fuel on pre-flyby course corrections. There are a few notes in the Doc folder, but I'm not sure how helpful they are.
Good luck if you have a go at it.

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Thank you very much brian. I actually found your markers really helpful, the only thing I'm still missing is to understand how to properly use them in IMFD, like how to plan my transfer orbit, is it in source or target plane, is it off plane? shall i concentrate to be precisely at the mark on time or is it needed just for the ejection burn etc? that's why I was asking for a bit of tutorial for this :hail: I've been trying many times (and got lost in space pretty often :lol:), and since the mission is pretty long to fly, I never know if what i'm doing wrong is at the beginning, in the middle or at the end of each orbit around the sun :shrug:
Anyway thanks again for this, it's amazing as usual!

RAF Blackace

Reaction score
Unfortunately this does not fully work for me. As soon as I release Rosetta from the ejection stage the scenario crashes. All other scenarios that have a free flying Rosetta in also wont load and cause a crash.

I found out its the comet coma itself causing the crashes. If I delete the 67P Coma from the scenarios the missions load just fine,

I managed to do all the flybys and I am on approach to 67P. I agree with Brian though, the Earth is not your friend for slingshots. I have never seen the dv jump around so much and as Brian says, its all because the moon pulls the Earth all over the place.

A wonderful mission, very very challenging.

Last edited:

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Why does Orbit Hangar even allow you to set the release date that far into the future?