Rant Royal Mail criticised for D-Day stamp mix-up

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Royal Mail has withdrawn a stamp design marking the 75th anniversary of D-Day - after BBC News pointed out it showed US troops landing in what was Dutch New Guinea, nearly 8,500 miles from France.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46694509

You couldn't make it up, talk about lack of research! Just as insulting to US troops, or any of the other nation that were there.
Even if you weren't sure, there is an institution that would be more than happy
to help.

It called The Imperial War Museum.

I'm tempted to send them the link:

https://www.iwm.org.uk/

N.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
On the bright side, screwups like that tend to produce the most valuable collectibles a few generations later.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Well, this one won't be hitting the printers. Makes you wonder what other screwups they have made?

Must admit I wouldn't have noticed it. They are US troops on a beach, would just believed the caption.

N.

jgrillo2002

Conservative Pioneer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46694509

You couldn't make it up, talk about lack of research! Just as insulting to US troops, or any of the other nation that were there.
Even if you weren't sure, there is an institution that would be more than happy
to help.

It called The Imperial War Museum.

I'm tempted to send them the link:

https://www.iwm.org.uk/

N.
As an american, I feel like these people hate us. They have No respect for us! At ALL! :mad:

I think they did that on purpose to spit us on the face, after everything we did for them. What has this world turned into? :(

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I doubt it was malicious, the Post Office is usually competent and aware in these things. Just incredibly careless.

N.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
As an american, I feel like these people hate us. They have No respect for us! At ALL! :mad:

I think they did that on purpose to spit us on the face, after everything we did for them. What has this world turned into? :(

Poe's Law much?

Look, it's a seascape of troops disembarking from ships. If there were palm trees or something, I could see the fuss, but as it is, we are all just taking someone's word for it. One could just as easily change the stamp to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the Allies landing in northern New Guinea... I'm sure they got shot at as well. And malaria.

Anyway, after the U-571 debacle, we have NO right to complain. :2cents:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Well, one day they would make a stamp commemorating the anniversary of the first photo of the far side of the Moon, and use a photo of Mercury.
They are both gray cratered spherical rocks in a vacuum, who would notice the difference? :/

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I bet they went for a more obscure photo, given that all the "famous ones" have been seen already. Even after knowing the photo is of American troops, it's not trivial to identify them. The easiest giveaway I can see is the shape of the helmets. Beyond that point, you require in-depth knowledge of the transport ships. I was unable to find the ship featured in the photo by Googling it. BBC article gives her hull mark as "LCI-30" and there isn't much info out there on her.

Yes, of course. That perfectly explains the situation!