OHM RV Orientation v3.5 for Orbiter 2016

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: adswnj

Rendezvous Orientation V3.05

This is a rendezvous MFD and HUD utility, to enhance the accuracy and precision of your docking maneuvers and to give you a multi-waypoint approach maintaining separation from your target vessel.

Make sure you install HUDDrawer SDK v0.4 or later. If you want to use the HUD with the XR vessels, make sure you have XR1 1.14+, XR2 1.12+, and XR5 1.9+. 

Here's a summary of the key features:

• Head-Up Display enhancing the standard Docking HUD
  • Fuzzy-logic autopilot
  • Multiple guidance modes
  • Spherical waypoint system for safe approach
  • Digital outputs to allow you to fly a precise approach
  • Autopilot self-calibration system
V 3.01 update:
·         Fixed CTD from hitting PRT with no TGT selected.
V 3.02 update:
·         Collect target from launchMFD
V 3.03 update:
·         Support Orion MPCV
V 3.04 update:
·      Update for ModuleMeaagingExt (dropping old ModMsg dependency)
V3.05 update:
·      First full Orbiter 2016 support

DOWNLOAD

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
At long last, here's the official release of Rendezvous Orientation for Orbiter 2016.

If you ever wanted the ultimate docking control MFD, then this is for you. This MFD calculates and displays a docking corridor to your chosen target and port, either by the numbers on the MFD, or by the HUD, presenting the data graphically as a docking corridor, and/or with the required maneuvers.

This MFD features three autopilots: a rotation AP to keep your rotation correct with respect to the port, a translation AP to keep your vessel in the docking corridor (up down left right), and a fullly automated AP to control the whole docking procedure into the port. (Note: you have to open your docking port, and I'll do the rest). It's good to 10X warp, if you want to see how it flies the pattern.

The AP implements a safety corridor concept. You set the min range for the approach (e.g. 500 meters), and it implements a safe sphere at that range around your target. If you are not aligned to the port, and inside the safety distance, the AP will back you off to the min range. It then uses "spherical waypoints" to plot a course around the safety sphere to get to the entry point at 0 lat / 0 long relative to the port, and only then will it allow you to enter the safety range. As you approach the port, the corridor gets tighter - i.e. if you are drifting off the corridor inside the safety range, the AP will halt the approach and take corrective action.

This version REQUIRES you to install HUDDrawer SDK 0.4 or higher (Enjo's fabulous code), to interface with the vessel's HUD drawing. If you get any errors about VesselHoolking.dll missing, you have missed this step.

The HUD drawing is compatible with any vessel inherited from VESSEL4, which includes all the stock vessels, as well as the latest versions of the XR-series. If your vessel does NOT draw the HUD, then the vessel designer needs to release an updated version inheriting from VESSEL4. (Talk to dbeachy1 if you need help).

No need to update the original RV Orientation as this is working just fine for Orbiter 2010.

pclaurent

Daydreamer
Reaction score
Cool, but no HUD... HUD drawer SDK v.0.4 installed, but HUD button does nothing.

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
What spacecraft are you using?
What does the log file say? (Orbiter.log)

Last edited:

pclaurent

Daydreamer
Reaction score
What spacecraft are you using?
What does the log file say? (Orbiter.log)

Works fine with the standard Delta Glider, but not with Crew Dragon or Orion-MPCV (see attached orbiter.log)

Attachments

• Orbiter.log
    13.3 KB · Views: 6

pclaurent

Daydreamer
Reaction score
Yes, I'm using 2016... Orion-MPCV is available in the forum. But you can also test the Crew Dragon (https://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=7198), just to see if you can reproduce what I'm talking about. Perhaps is there something to do in the add-ons to make them fully compatible with your MFD...
Anyway, I'm happy with the MFD as it is, even without HUD... :thumbup:

fatcat

Reaction score
Yes, I'm using 2016... Orion-MPCV is available in the forum. But you can also test the Crew Dragon (https://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=7198), just to see if you can reproduce what I'm talking about. Perhaps is there something to do in the add-ons to make them fully compatible with your MFD...
Anyway, I'm happy with the MFD as it is, even without HUD... :thumbup:

Andrew, enjo, pclaurent, if it helps, I confirm the Crew and Cargo Dragon does not display the HUD, like the Deltas. The MFD does control the spacecraft well though after calibration.
Orbiter 2016 with brianj's latest Dragons and enjo's HUDDrawer SDK v.0.4 for Orbiter 2016 (but also winehq and mac for me).

I'm finding this an excellent MFD to teach docking with. Rotation or translation can be practised one at a time, while the AP looks after the other.

Last edited:

NukeET

Gen 1:1
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
I'm finding this an excellent MFD to teach docking with. Rotation or translation can be practised one at a time, while the AP looks after the other.

I'm seeing erratic issues with this add-on when the autopilot is controlling both translational and rotational using APP mode. Works fine when I turn on APR and APT modes on separately. I suspect most of my issues with this is the problem of, "nut loose on the keyboard".

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Please refer to this thread: https://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=39021&highlight=vessel4

The HUD functionality depends on 2 things:

1. The awesome HUDdrawer SDK functionality from Enjo.
2. The vessel designer deriving their vessel from the VESSEL4 interface, not VESSEL3 or earlier.

The stock vessels in Orbiter 2016 are all VESSEL4, and the latest XR-vessels (thanks to Doug) are also now all VESSEL4. For other vessels, the vessel owner simply has to update to derive from VESSEL4.

@dbeachy1 can you say how easy or hard the set-up is from VESSEL3 to VESSEL4? Is it literally a 1 char change (3 to 4), or do you have to recode any new mandatory interfaces?

TL;DR - if you have installed the pre-requisite HUDdrawer, and you still have no HUD, then it's something that the vessel writer needs to fix.

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
The HUD functionality depends on 2 things:

2. The vessel designer deriving their vessel from the VESSEL4 interface, not VESSEL3 or earlier.

I could imagine supporting all versions at once, by storing the virtual tables in temporary vessels. This would work as long as the user doesn't delete them.
Don't hold your breath though.

Glowworm51

Reaction score

Author: adswnj

Rendezvous Orientation V3.05

This is a rendezvous MFD and HUD utility, to enhance the accuracy and precision of your docking maneuvers and to give you a multi-waypoint approach maintaining separation from your target vessel.

Make sure you install HUDDrawer SDK v0.4 or later. If you want to use the HUD with the XR vessels, make sure you have XR1 1.14+, XR2 1.12+, and XR5 1.9+.

Here's a summary of the key features:

• Head-Up Display enhancing the standard Docking HUD
  • Fuzzy-logic autopilot
  • Multiple guidance modes
  • Spherical waypoint system for safe approach
  • Digital outputs to allow you to fly a precise approach
  • Autopilot self-calibration system
V 3.01 update:
· Fixed CTD from hitting PRT with no TGT selected.
V 3.02 update:
· Collect target from launchMFD
V 3.03 update:
· Support Orion MPCV
V 3.04 update:
· Update for ModuleMeaagingExt (dropping old ModMsg dependency)
V3.05 update:
· First full Orbiter 2016 support

DOWNLOAD
Are the AMSO vessels (LM, CSM ) supported?