IMFD Saturn V-Apollo 8-IMFD

MattBaker

Reaction score
So, I downloaded the AMSO and the IMFD and tried to learn how to do moon missions with the Saturn V and the Apollo spacecraft.

After I have "learned" what I have to do on a moon mission with the help of the singular step scenarios in the addon I tried it myself, basically I want to do a "reenactment" of Apollo 8, LOE->TLI->lunar orbit and back to earth.

So I'm using the IMFD to do a TLI with this settings:

I'm using the same settings to do correction burns at GET 30:00:00, 40:00:00, 50:00:00 and 60:00:00.
Result of all that is that I'm bossting myself directly on the moon, yes it's a big asteroid that must by destroyed by shooting an Apollo CSM on it...

So, where is my/IMFD's mistake, are the settings wrong, must I use other settings for correction burns, must I do an LOI burn at some earlier stage than on moon's backside?

The parameters "Complex flight model", "Damage and failure situation", "Limited fuel" and "Auto-refuel on Pad" are all activated, is there a mistake or must i deactivate one of them?
Plugins activated are IMFD 5.5 and OrbiterSound.

Thanks in advance for any help
Matt

P.S.: I posted it in this category because I think the mistake is in the settings of the IMFD/my knowledge about IMFD, if this is the wrong category please move it in the right section.

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
you are going to need to another burn at some point to get your self into lunar orbit. This is how IMFD works, it shoots for the center of the object you are heading to. Then you use one of the other IMFD programs to then set up your orbit depending on what you are planning on doing.

I would however recommend for AMSO that you use LTMFD, especially if getting the mission down to the real life times (so things like the audio packs work right on time). Lunar Transfer MFD is made by the same dev who made IMFD. It is meant strictly for going from Earth to the Moon and back again, and it is incredibly powerful and accurate and will get your TLI to put you on a trajectory for a retrograde orbit right away. You will probably need only one TLCC, if even that, and then set up the LOI and get ready.

MattBaker

Reaction score
I've done a very, very, very quick simulation and everything worked fine, thanks:thumbup: (OK, the fact that I was reentering over Africa, the Atlantic and the final splashdown just 100 km east from NZ was actually not fine)

Tommy

Reaction score
There a couple things you are doing wrong in that plan. One, your Tot dV is quite high. Should be just over 3k for this trip.

Second, you need to use Target Offsetting. This will allow you to aim for a point "ahead" of the Moon, instead of at it's center. Check the scenario's for the other flights and you will see that they offset the target about 8M. When using offsetting, you will need to use IMFD's Map to see the hypothetical trajectory. You will need to change the offset for each correction burn.

As Cras mentioned, LTMFD is probably a better choice for this flight - just as accurate and much simpler to use.

-E

Reaction score
I recommend you download and install the scenario packs. Several of them handhold you all the way through the mission, using IMFD. (I think there are some internal differences between the version he used and the version available now, whihc will not match his numbers exactly. But it will get you there and back with some learning in between.)