Software Search Inside Multiple Msh Files

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score
Subject says it all really. Say I have a folder full of separate msh files (or any other plaintext files, configs and textures too), and I want to search for a particular string. How can I do this without having to open each one individually?

Total noob question I know, and I imagine those of you who routinely handle editing thousands of files at once have a well practiced solution in your toolboxs.

Which is why I asked...

:)

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Do you mean in Windows or Linux, by a tool or command to show you which files contain that text, or by some program that will automatically replace that text with another?

If you want to list files containing some text:
  1. Windows search can search for files containing set text.
  2. There is "find" command line you can use from the console.
  3. You can download "grep" command line tool, if you prefer searching like in *nix systems.

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score
Windows 7. Sorry. Should have mentioned that right off. But you say Windows can search inside any file containing text? I did not know that.

I used to, long long ago, use the individual user version of Alta Vista for doing this sort of thing. Stands to reason that by now Windows could do it natively.

Off to explore search functions!

EDIT: Looks like Windows Grep is my best choice. Even has a GUI (it is for Windows, after all).

:)

Last edited: