Idea Seperate Program: Ship Atributes Calcuator

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
This wouldn't be an in game add on, but more of a separate program used to make calculations. This was the only forum i could find that i could post this...

While thinking of idea's for a ship I want to make (although, knowing me, it wont get off the drawing board), I was wondering "well, how much would this weigh? What kind of thrust would i need if i wanted a powered decent from x km? would this power be reasonable for this ship?"

That would be a lot of kerputzing around to find all those values, so i thought: hey, why not make a calculator to do it! Basically, here is my thoughts/idea's for this kind of calculator:

Have it analyze a model and figure out its square meterage. Then, given a certian material/combination of materials, it would figure out its REAL weight (this could give you a ball park number, just so you dont have something completely unrealistic, like the XR-5 weighing 2000 pounds). Then, given a weight, you would type in two defined times, such as: Time from main engine start to orbit insertion on the moon, using an orbital method of just fireing up the main engines and waiting till you achieve orbit. Using those numbers, and the weight, it would calculate the thrust needed. Then, after messing around with fuel effeciencies, it would give you the fuel size needed for such a scenario.

Now, all that is just ideas for such a calculator. Some of them might not make a lot of sense (like the thrust calculator), so it could be done in other ways. But the main point is to make it easier for add-on developers to make their ships semi-realistic (like the weight thing).

I KNOW this is possible to do, but the question is: will anyone do it? I would, but i dont have numbers and calculations, and i dont remember VB to well...

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I made an Excel spreadsheet that calculates all this stuff on the fly for you. It's pretty easy, really, you just need the Rocket Equation and then fill in the blanks.