Humor Serious Bicycle Problem

Graham2001

Reaction score
Last year, bike sharing took off in China, with dozens of bike-share companies quickly flooding city streets with millions of brightly colored rental bicycles. However, the rapid growth vastly outpaced immediate demand and overwhelmed Chinese cities, where infrastructure and regulations were not prepared to handle a sudden flood of millions of shared bicycles. Riders would park bikes anywhere, or just abandon them, resulting in bicycles piling up and blocking already-crowded streets and pathways. As cities impounded derelict bikes by the thousands, they moved quickly to cap growth and regulate the industry. Vast piles of impounded, abandoned, and broken bicycles have become a familiar sight in many big cities.

https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2018/03/bike-share-oversupply-in-china-huge-piles-of-abandoned-and-broken-bicycles/556268/

Some of the pictures are just plain surreal....

Marijn

Reaction score
Even as a Dutchman I have to admit, that's quite a lot of thrashed bikes.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Wow. I like the green ones in photo 11. Were I an eccentric rich man I would buy lots of those bikes and start my own bike garden on an estate somewhere, like a giant English garden type of thing.

Shame to see all those machines go to waste.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
China has 1.3 billion people. Everything there is going to be on a huge scale that will be hard for outsiders to grasp.