Hardware Shimmering Night Lights

cessnapilot

Reaction score
I know this is a graphics issue, but I don't know how to fix it. On the night side, ground lights have a shimmering effect. I've tried various video settings in both Orbiter and Catalyst Control Center. Can anyone give me some suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Did you change Planetary body rendering options on the Extra tab and set mipmap bias to sharper? This may cause shimmering. Textures shouldn't shimmer with linear interpolation and mipmap bias set to 0 and also with 16x anisotropic filtering.

If it however doesn't help then check if mipmap bias and anisotropic filtering isn't forced by the driver in the Catalyst Control Center.

If that isn't helping, either, then are you using some night lights mods?

cessnapilot

Reaction score
It's a clean install, no mods loaded.

I had previously tried the "do not load mip maps" setting, but that didn't seem to affect it. I had also tried setting everything in control center to "let application decide". I don't see any way of turning ansiotropic filtering off in CCC. I can only set it to let application decide. When I do set CCC to "let application decide", of course, I get jagged edges, but the lights still shimmer.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
I had previously tried the "do not load mip maps" setting {...} I don't see any way of turning ansiotropic filtering off in CCC.
If anything, than not to turn off, but rather to turn on using both mipmaps and anisotropic filtering.

Did you check the settings in Planetary body rendering options on the Extra tab in Orbiter?