Project Shuttle-A Mk.IX

OvalDreamX

Reaction score
So ive been tackling modelling game assets more seriously now. And my last project (Dragonfly redux) has proven quite instructive. Now I wanted to use what Ive learnt there on a new model, so I present you, the Shuttle-A Mk.IX. Still in its modelling phase, Im taking care to not make a mess of this model (looking at Dragonfly Redux mhm...) and make it look good on Orbiter. Here are some renders from differen phases of the modelling process:

shaIXAltDualengine2.png
shaIXAltstructure2.png
shaIX back.png
Ofc all of this is WIP and subject to change. So if you see anything you would like changed just post it here and help me improve this design

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
If I could make some suggestion on where the model should really differ from the original, I would fix some visibility issues of the originals cockpit during vertical landing. If you want to see the landing site, you have to switch to external view right now.

OvalDreamX

Reaction score
If I could make some suggestion on where the model should really differ from the original, I would fix some visibility issues of the originals cockpit during vertical landing. If you want to see the landing site, you have to switch to external view right now.
Yeah, but the thing is that theres the whole docking mechanism below the cockpit, so no way I could add a window to see down. Maybe a side one like in helicopters? Or a camera could be added for seeing through the mfd?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yeah, but the thing is that theres the whole docking mechanism below the cockpit, so no way I could add a window to see down. Maybe a side one like in helicopters? Or a camera could be added for seeing through the mfd?

As you think suits your preferences - its your add-on, not mine.

I just wanted to note, that there is a demand. ;)

Personally, I would prefer a bridgewing like feature over having to watch a third MFD during landing.

OvalDreamX

Reaction score
As you think suits your preferences - its your add-on, not mine.

I just wanted to note, that there is a demand. ;)

Personally, I would prefer a bridgewing like feature over having to watch a third MFD during landing.
I mean I would like to add that. But with the interior I imagine being like this like this:
shaIX alt int.jpg

And the frontal view being like this:

front.png
I dont really see where a window could be added to aid with landing. I mean, the forward windows are canted down a bit and not as obstructed by the bulge of the docking/hab space. But I dont think its enough for aiding with landing. Of course if you have trackir...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, that is why I used the term "bridge wing" there. We have quite some large "cheeks" there, why not use them as "root" of such a feature

Prinsendam-flying-bridge.jpg

Adding some crew station to make landing and cargo handling easier in something like that would allow more overview than "looking through a straw" with a camera would allow. You could look down, observe the cargo in the rear and even have enough view forward to keep obstacles in view.

Of course, the more radical solution would be a fully asymetric spacecraft with the cockpit moved to one side of the docking port. But that would be a fully new spacecraft.

OvalDreamX

Reaction score
Well, that is why I used the term "bridge wing" there. We have quite some large "cheeks" there, why not use them as "root" of such a feature

Adding some crew station to make landing and cargo handling easier in something like that would allow more overview than "looking through a straw" with a camera would allow. You could look down, observe the cargo in the rear and even have enough view forward to keep obstacles in view.
I hadnt thought about that. Maybe I can add something like that in the back corner of one of the cheeks? like both for cargo and aiding with landing. Like a secondary bridge or the cargo console the shuttle had

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I hadnt thought about that. Maybe I can add something like that in the back corner of one of the cheeks? like both for cargo and aiding with landing. Like a secondary bridge or the cargo console the shuttle had

Yes, that makes sense.

Pahema

Reaction score
I'm loving the looks of this thing, mate. You've obviously put a lot of thought and work into it.
I can't wait to download and start using it.
Well done so far. Keep up the good work. (y)

P.S. This would be AWESOME as a massive transporter in the vein of the Arrow Freighter. Can that be done, I wonder? 2016 desperately needs something like it, right?

Anyhoo, great work, mate. Cheer from The Land Down-undah! :cool:(y)
:cheers:

OvalDreamX

Reaction score
I'm loving the looks of this thing, mate. You've obviously put a lot of thought and work into it.
I can't wait to download and start using it.
Well done so far. Keep up the good work. (y)
Haha tnxs! Lets hope I can finish it
unlike the Dragonfly Redux
P.S. This would be AWESOME as a massive transporter in the vein of the Arrow Freighter. Can that be done, I wonder? 2016 desperately needs something like it, right?
Mmm like a shuttle a XL? I was thinking this as a ring diver, used in the rings of saturn between bases and stations (hence the armored look). Scaling it up would cut it, the cockpit at least would have to be remodeled. But I plan on releasing the .blend file before applying the modifiers so people can modify it. Maybe someone will do it
Anyhoo, great work, mate. Cheer from The Land Down-undah! :cool:(y)
:cheers:
Heh, Im in the soutern part of South America. So Im on the underside of the world too! ;-)

Pahema

Reaction score
Haha tnxs! Lets hope I can finish it
unlike the Dragonfly Redux

Mmm like a shuttle a XL? I was thinking this as a ring diver, used in the rings of saturn between bases and stations (hence the armored look). Scaling it up would cut it, the cockpit at least would have to be remodeled. But I plan on releasing the .blend file before applying the modifiers so people can modify it. Maybe someone will do it

Heh, Im in the soutern part of South America. So Im on the underside of the world too! ;-)
I was born in Montevieo! Maaaaany year ago. Emigrated to Australia in 1974! :D

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This project is sexy. I was working on a similar project awhile back to create a light-freighter in the same vain as the Shuttle A. Never came to fruition. Glad to see someone else has the same motivation and technical expertise to make this dream a reality. Beautiful work, as always @OvalDreamX . Never let the fire die out!

OvalDreamX

Reaction score
FInished the modelling phase
shaIX final model front.png
shaIX final model detail.png
shaIX final model back.png
Now some cleanup (deleting internal faces, fixing the normal nighmare in the cabin and that weirdness with the hover nozzles), Uv unwrap and packing (oh no!) and after that finally I'll move on to the fun part, texturing :cool:

If you look on the back of the cabin youll also see the windows of the auxiliary bridge/cargo chief station, used to aid with landing on unprepared terrain and on any cargo tasks

OvalDreamX

Reaction score
Some quick tests to see how the mesh behaves ingame
Heres with d3d9:

orbiter 2022-08-09 09-52-32.png

And here's with Skybolt (1.0.2):
1660050143712.png

So overall not as disastrous as the first time I imported the Dragonfly, but still some weirdness with the engine nozzles and rcs pods. Maybe it has something to do with how .msh handles curved surfaces? In the hangar in the first image you can see they have the same problem

OvalDreamX

Reaction score
I got one bad and one good.
The bad one is that I dont seem able to fix the weird shading both in the rcs pods and nozzles. Its like they have shadow in exactly the opposite side of where they should be. They look alright in substance painter and blender, so it seems to be a problem of the Orbiter blend-msh exporter addon thingy.
The good one is that I threw a quick (messy) unwrap and then in substance, the first smart material I found. And they seem to help hide these problems. Specially if they are a different material. Pics for proof:
1660137274620.png
1660137327661.png

And here you can still see issues with the nozzles but nowhere near as pronounced as before
1660137378817.png

So, tldr: I think ill continue with what I have and focus on not getting stuck in these details I can leave for "Future Oval™"
I hope to finish UV work this week so next one I can do the texturing and detailing part

diogom

Reaction score
The bad one is that I dont seem able to fix the weird shading both in the rcs pods and nozzles. Its like they have shadow in exactly the opposite side of where they should be. They look alright in substance painter and blender, so it seems to be a problem of the Orbiter blend-msh exporter addon thingy.
Sounds like a normals issue, have you tried using Shipedit under Orbitersdk/utils, to generate the normals? Failing that, I've had luck with re-importing the mesh into Blender and using the "set normals from faces" tool on the misbehaving bits.