Project Shuttle-A Mk.IX

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
de-todo-un-poco-computacion-e-ideas.blogspot.com.ar
Managed to finish the internal block out. Its basically ready for the actual modelling process. Also experimented with clothing/insulation/cushion in the interior. The cloth are kinda low poly and I could save even more by decimating it and projecting the normals from the high poly onto it. So this should be compatible with potato pcs too.
View attachment 31736
Here's how Im thinking of laying out things:
View attachment 31737
Wow! The interior looks really amazing. It looks like something out of a Hollywood or Star Wars production. My computer is gonna melt.
cries in integrated graphics

OvalDreamX

Reaction score
Wow! The interior looks really amazing. It looks like something out of a Hollywood or Star Wars production. My computer is gonna melt.
cries in integrated graphics
Ive been running games and blender on a 2004 laptop up until 2 years ago so I feel you hah. I will try to make as many optimizations as possible so it is easier to run.

OvalDreamX

Reaction score
POW: You are the pilot of a ship designed by an idiot:
untitledPOW.png
So, turns out that I went for the rule of cool when designing the cockpit. And thought I could make the pilot look through the front window just fine. Thing is, this is as low as the pilot can go without interfering with the docking mechanism below. And the hud is perfectl aligned with the front of the ship. So.. the front is a blindspot between the two windows 🤦‍♂️. Ill see what I can come up with as a potential fix and Im open to ideas on how to fix the screw up hah.

untitled2.png
On the other hand, this is how the cockpit looks like now.

OvalDreamX

Reaction score
Update: Turns out If I fit the pilot into a tight space with almost no leg room it will have some reasonable visibility:
(the cubicle, docking mechanism and pilot is highlighted) The pilot should have a more reclined position to fit.
1671761282424.png
This will not only break several regulations on cockpit design, safety measures and ergonomic standards but also will allow you to have an average view outside the window!
Heres a render on how it looks like:untitled2.png

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Here's my 2 cents: Move the HUD down so it lines up with the window. It doesn't technically need to be aligned with the forward line of sight direction, although that is the best geometry if it works. Or move the window up... ;)
I kinda ran into the reverse of this with DarkEnergy, the crew sits as high as they can without hitting the ceiling and the top of the panel is still to high... So the HUD is mounted well above the crews' line of sight and it works.

OvalDreamX

Reaction score
Here's my 2 cents: Move the HUD down so it lines up with the window. It doesn't technically need to be aligned with the forward line of sight direction, although that is the best geometry if it works. Or move the window up... ;)
I kinda ran into the reverse of this with DarkEnergy, the crew sits as high as they can without hitting the ceiling and the top of the panel is still to high... So the HUD is mounted well above the crews' line of sight and it works.
Ill lower the hud then, as moving the window up will require me to modify the external model and redo the texturing from almost zero hah. Lesson learned, from now on Ill use a non destructive workflow using a high poly and a low poly model so that I can modify them as the craft evolves.

OvalDreamX

Reaction score
Another update. Decided to take an actual astronaut model and pose it to see the proportions. Bad news, I have to shift the positioning like seen in these two images:
1672020334542.png1672020350330.png

Good news, the pov doesnt change as much, and the HUD position has been shifted as MaxQ suggested:
Original Pov:
untitled3POW1.png
New pov:
untitled3POW2.png
So Only change would be shifting the consoles backwards again and to the side to give more elbow room.

So next time I should have done that already and proceeded to the second detail pass. You can suggest which gadgets and greebles would you expect to see as Im kinda out of ideas on what to fill the blank walls with.
An extra to show the huge EMU suit compared to the tiny person alongside it. I mean, if it fits, everyone should fit except my aunt, right?
untitled3.png

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
It looks fantastic!!! Can't wait to get my hands on it!.

Gadgets and greebles: At least one "secure switch" with a plastic cover on top to arm/disarm the cargo. (I'll move it to the appropriate place and copy as needed when I code the VC).
hula girl bobblehead or furry dice (or both), zero-g cup-holder and a CB radio (It is a space-truck after all!) (Actually the radio could be used to adjust the COM/NAV frequencies...)

OvalDreamX

Reaction score
Only for a limited time get your Shuttle-A MK.IX deluxe edition! Now with SEATS! You've heard it right!! Now you can sit in the cockpit of this one-of-a-kind ShaIX and control your ship knowing full well you're not gonna get flung to the other side of the cockpit as per user's requests. (Makarov industries does not take charge on the comfort levels or spinal injuries caused by our seats. For more informaton visit....)

So, modelled the seats:
1672449832481.png 1672449852033.png

1672449874198.png 1672449900848.png1672449887513.png
Spent more time trying to fit the thing inside my stupidly designed cockpit that actually modelling it. Its pretty minimalistic, but guessing by the leg room allowed in the cockpit, you can tell the builder does not care much about the user's comfort or ergonomics...

On other news, decided that instead of trying to model the whole habitacle on one go, I will wall the back side of the cockpit and leave the rest of the living space for later. Having a wall will also allow me to have baked lighting on it and thus save performance and have some raytracing goodness baked in.