Idea Shuttle payloads that never flew

Graham2001

Reaction score
With the shuttle program coming to an end soon I thought it might be worthwhile looking through the NTRS and seeing what unflown Spacelab payloads I could find as these would make interesting addons to the stock Atlantis/Shuttle Fleet/SSU.

This is the first, a UV/Optical telescope designed to be mounted on two Spacelab pallets.

See:

1. Report of the facility definition team spacelab UV optical telescope facility

2. Astrophysics Near-Term Program. Project Concept Study: Starlab

Earlier I had linked documentation another early Spacelab payload to the forum, it can be found at:

Early Spacelab materials processing Kit

As more information is found it will be added to the thread in additional posts.

Last edited:

thegrogen

Reaction score
I could support addons like this. I think there needs to be more addons that focus on payloads rather than rockets and finished spaceships, which to be sure are sexier, but what's the point of a rocket with nothing to carry? I could probably model this particular one myself, if I had the time. What I would like to see is an addon/collection of addons that modeled conceptual payloads back from the days when Shuttle was supposed to be this huge game-changer, ie. space tugs, huge space construction yards, solar power satellites, and so on. There's a book in my library that is full of pictures of such things, so I'm pretty sure information on them is out there.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
I think you are referring to the Space Station Freedom early designs, that included a space-dock for shuttles and moon transfer vehicles.
I too think it would be a nice addition to Orbiter, but it's beyond the scope of a single individual. Such a thing would only work thought cooperation and a ongoing effort to model, program and research all the stuff. 3 people at least, more because it would take years to get a reasonable amount of it done.

Graham2001

Reaction score
I think you are referring to the Space Station Freedom early designs, that included a space-dock for shuttles and moon transfer vehicles.

I too think it would be a nice addition to Orbiter, but it's beyond the scope of a single individual. Such a thing would only work thought cooperation and a ongoing effort to model, program and research all the stuff. 3 people at least, more because it would take years to get a reasonable amount of it done.

Are you referring to Space Station Freedom or the UV/Optical Telescope?

Onto the next items.

1. Small Astronomy Payloads

A series of astronomical payloads designed to be mounted on single pallets and combined with other missions (Such as the launch of the Solar Max Mission ([ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_Maximum_Mission]Wikipedia[/ame])

See: Small Astronomy Payloads for Spacelab

2. Atmospheric, Magnetospheric and Plasmas in Space (AMPS) payload

A payload for the study of the near Earth space environment.

See: Phase A conceptual design study of the Atmospheric, Magnetospheric and Plasmas in Space (AMPS) payload

3. Astronomical Observatory for Shuttle

This design actually slightly predates Spacelab, (Hence the reference to a 'sortie' module) it's for a 1-m telescope mounted directly to the spacelab shell and fitted with an airlock to allow different instruments to be attached to the focal point.

See: Astronomical Observatory for Shuttle, Phase A Study

4. Spacelab Payload Accommodation Handbook

The ESA Handbook on Spacelab, everything an experimenter would need to know to design a payload for use on the shuttle and in all likely-hood an invaluable modelers resource.

See:

1. Spacelab payload accommodation handbook. Main volume

2. Spacelab payload accommodation handbook. Appendix B: Structure interface definition module

Last edited:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
I was commenting on the ideas that thegrogen mentioned, such as " space tugs, huge space construction yards, solar power satellites, and so on". My point was exactly that this stuff is not directly related to the thread topic (spacelab). Sorry if I caused some confusion. :thumbup:

Graham2001

Reaction score
I was commenting on the ideas that thegrogen mentioned, such as " space tugs, huge space construction yards, solar power satellites, and so on". My point was exactly that this stuff is not directly related to the thread topic (spacelab). Sorry if I caused some confusion. :thumbup:

No problems, sorry for the delay in the next addition, but the NTRS seems to have been focusing on more recent (late 2000's) material of late, but something that falls into the 'gold mine' category turned up recently.

The Guntersville Workshop on Solar-Terrestrial Studies was held in October of 1977 and the report has a lot of information about the Power Module Usonian modeled as part of the [ame=http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3555]Skylab '80[/ame] addon. There is also a rather poignant diagram showing just what NASA considered the shuttle program capable of...

Last edited:

Graham2001

Reaction score
After a lot of looking on the NTRS I have located another unflown shuttle payload from the pre-shuttle days.

Biomedical Experiments Scientific Satellite

A free flying spacecraft that was intended to be deployed in orbit by a shuttle. Payload would be animals used for research into the effects of weightlessness. The information is sufficiently complete to allow a detailed simulation.
See:

1. Biomedical Experiments Scientific Satellite: Preliminary design study. Volume 1: Cost trade-off studies

2. Biomedical Experiments Scientific Satellite: Preliminary Design Study, Vol. 2: System Design

3. Biomedical Experiments Scientific Satellite: Preliminary design study. Volume 3: Program plan

BESS Baseline Configuration

BESS Recommended Configuration

Last edited:

Graham2001

Reaction score
I have located several proposed shuttle payloads which I'll be adding to this thread over the next few days.

Firstly a proposed follow on to Seasat([ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasat]Wikipedia[/ame]):

National Oceanic Satellite

A platform carrying several Seasat derived instruments and powered by a modified Shuttle Power Extension Pack solar array. To be deployed from a shuttle into an initial 300km orbit before transferring to an 800km operational orbit. After a period in orbit the satellite would return to the lower orbit for retrieval by the shuttle for refurbishment. The linked report covers not only the spacecraft but outlines the shuttle missions needed to support it.

See: Flight Segment Concept Study: National Oceanic Satellite System

National Oceanic Satellite

Mars Flying RPVs

A small propeller driven aircraft designed to be carried to Mars inside an aeroshell only slightly larger than the ones used for Viking. To be launched in sets of four attached to a comsat. The launch vehicle was to be the space shuttle carrying the Mars payload attached to a double IUS. One diagram hints that a modified Viking profile may also have been considered.

A concept study of a remotely piloted vehicle for Mars exploration

Orbiting 100m Modular Reflector

Secondly, the use of a shuttle to deploy a 100m radio reflector by means of a custom pallet with two remote manipulator arms. The study in question is quite preliminary but I'd judge that enough detail is provided to allow simulation.

See: Modular Reflector Concept Study

Last edited:

Graham2001

Reaction score
I've located another proposed shuttle payload from the 1970's.

Exotic Particles In The Cosmic Rays Payload (EPIC)

A free flying platform designed to be launched from a space shuttle using plastic panels to capture high energy cosmic rays. The designers proposed that it be combined with a Spacelab mission.

Experiment definition and integration study for the accommodation of giant, passive detector of Exotic Particles In the Cosmic Rays (EPIC) payload on shuttle/spacelab missions

EPIC Array Launch Configuration

Epic Array Flight Configuration

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Here's one that would have been cool !

Attachments

• HST10x.jpg
    HST10x.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 180

Graham2001

Reaction score
Last edited:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
A few shots in Orbiter.:)

Attachments

• PEP.jpg
    PEP.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 121
  • HSTx_EVA1.jpg
    HSTx_EVA1.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 132
  • HSTxEVA2.jpg
    HSTxEVA2.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 112

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The PEP and HSTx are just about finished, I think I'll do the NOSS next. :tiphat:

Graham2001

Reaction score
The PEP and HSTx are just about finished, I think I'll do the NOSS next. :tiphat:

It'll be eagerly awaited.

I've managed to hit what can best be called a rich seam of documents relating to shuttle launched astrophysics projects only some of which made it into orbit.

One that did not was the...

Very Large Space Telescope

A 7 meter telescope to be constructed using a series of modified space shuttle external tanks.

Astrophysics Long-Term Program. Project Concept Study: Very Large Space Telescope (VLST)

Last edited:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Almost there with the HSTx.

Attachments

• sunshieldstow.jpg
    sunshieldstow.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 73
  • HSTx_Deploy.jpg
    HSTx_Deploy.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Graham2001

Reaction score
I've found a few documents relating to various solar power projects that involved the Space Shuttle including some more information on the 25kw Power Module that appears in Skylab 1980.

Power system interface and umbilical system study

Satellite power system salvage and disposal alternatives

The above is an article discussing what could be done with SPS units after their planned lifetime expired.

Satellite Power Systems (SPS). LSST systems and integration task for SPS flight test article

The above deals with a proposed Solar Power System test-bed. It seems to contain enough information to model the two proposed designs (Type 1:Hexagonal, Type 2:Linear)

I'm also going to mention the one item that flew I'd love to see modeled for the current version of Orbiter:

The OAST-1 solar array that flew on STS-41d, the only real outcome of the PEP studies in the 1970s

8904996.jpg

The little I've so far managed to locate online is linked to below:

STS-41D Presskit

STS-41D Mission Report

Last edited:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
HSTx addon uploaded to OH.:hello:

Graham2001

Reaction score
During the 1960's & 1970's NASA carried out many studies into using Lasers for communications. In 1976 it was proposed that Spacelab be used for a communications test between the Shuttle and firstly, a ground station, secondly a satellite in a Molinya like orbit.

The linked documents cover the project.

Experiment Definition Phase Shuttle Laboratory (LDRL-10.6 experiment), Shuttle Sortie to Ground Terminal, Final Report

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19770012347_1977012347.pdf

Laser Data Transfer Flight Experiment Definition: Final Report

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19760012122_1976012122.pdf

Last edited: