OHM SideMountHLV

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I installed VC++ 2008 runtime and the bug persisted.

Then I have to assume that your installation is not correct. Or that you didn't restart after installing and did not test this again.

kwan3217

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
New update posted, lots of cool features. This is now verging on a useful launch vehicle.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The word "engage" and a forward pointing gesture with the hand.

Tried it. I also also said loud "Make it so" into the microphone after it rose from the pad.

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 PM ----------

Ok, the manual control is with the keyboard annoying, maybe it works better with joystick. Got it into a 37 x 450 km by design, though I had slightly high dynamic pressure during ascent, because I had to fight with the controls.

And then I hit 1 and managed to spin out of control after a short burst that pushed the orbit beyond 550 km altitude.

The barge didn't work too great, no noticeable RCS, it seems to depend on low controlled rates after MECO.

The biggest problem is the over-controlled TVC, it should implement a rate command to reduce the oversteering and have a less strong proportional factor..

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 PM ----------

Ok, flying with joystick doesn't improve the control problems, it is oversensitive. You need to literally kiss the joystick for staying at low rates.

Also, the generic cockpit view lacks a "PC <50" indication for manual SRB separation or a automatic staging.

Columbia42

Reaction score
Then I have to assume that your installation is not correct. Or that you didn't restart after installing and did not test this again.

I just reinstalled it, restarted my computer, and Ares IX Ultra still doesn't work. (BTW, this discussion should be continued on your Ares IX thread).

kwan3217

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I guess I forgot that in the instructions. When on the ground, push keyboard 1 (over the q, not numpad 1). Wait 8 minutes, and you will be in orbit. If you don't want the autopilot, push 'p'. This also turns off the sequencer, so you have to jettison the boosters and fairing manually.

Steering is still squirrely, since the roll is also a bit of yaw, and the yaw is a bit of roll and I think pitch. It's probably more maneuverable than it needs to be.

---------- Post added at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 PM ----------

Barge RCS is on the back ring behind all the weights. Main engine is there also. There is nothing in the model corresponding to the propulsion system, so you have to fire them to see them. Can you see six RCS and one main engine?

Also - you have to use F3 to switch to the payload after it detaches. Since the carrier is inert after MECO, I suppose it should switch focus automatically.

---------- Post added at 10:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

There is a bug in the autopilot. It has an array of 1000 points to track and draw (the program was derived from an MFD) the past track of the vehicle. Since it records one point each second, it runs off the end in 1000 seconds, about 16 minutes. After that, it starts writing over whatever is past the end of the array, and eventually overwrites something important and crashes it.

I think if you turn off the autopilot with 'P' after MECO, that will work around the bug. This will be fixed in the next version.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Found the cause: I start the scenarios paused for debugging reasons with my add-ons, and when I press CTRL+P for depausing, the HLV doesn't check properly for the modifiers.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Is that necessary? Space debris problem? o_O

Not sure if it is needed. You only need Earth-Escape for lunar missions, if you don't impact on the moon.

The shuttle-C would reenter automatically.

kwan3217

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
That lifts itself part is with no cargo. A rocket meant for 90 tons carrying zero tons is a hot-rod.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
That lifts itself part is with no cargo. A rocket meant for 90 tons carrying zero tons is a hot-rod.

Ok, bad wording then... can you make it maybe a small table with dV or C3 values? Would be more useful than this sentence. Also 10g is bad... it needs throttling ;)

kwan3217

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Columbia: There already is a roll program, it's just rolling from 90deg to 93.1deg azimuth. If you edit the scenario so that the vehicle has a heading of 0deg, you will see it.

Fixerger: It looks like they are writing about that PDF discussed earlier in the thread. If there is more to this I would love to get my hands on it. Upper stages are easy, the Barge is already practically an upper stage. I just need meshes, and I haven't looked at the ones posted on OrbitHangar to see if I have permission to use them or if they are any good.

Is there any reason to believe that this vehicle flies heads-down? The only evidence I have for heads up is in the PDF, pictures of its flight profile show it heads-up. Heads up to ISS seems to make more sense, because its only a 45deg left roll instead of 135deg right roll to get on azimuth.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I think it flies heads-down for the same reasons the shuttle does. (saves fuel, etc.)
The reason for the heads-down attitude is for S-Band antenna management and wing/orbiter-ET strut loading.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
... Upper stages are easy, the Barge is already practically an upper stage. I just need meshes, and I haven't looked at the ones posted on OrbitHangar to see if I have permission to use them or if they are any good.

You can use any of the payload meshes, with my SD-HLV addon.