Solution guides

Kurt M. Weber

Reaction score
I'm a historian (in training) by profession and passion, but I have a lighter, avocational interest in a number of other fields, among them mathematics, astronomy, and astronautics.

To that end, in my free time I like to supplement my (ongoing) formal education with self-study in a number of other fields (the reason a strong, solid humanities or liberal arts is the most important asset one can have is that it is, ultimately, an education in learning: it equips you to pick up any subject you're interested in without the necessity of further formal guidance).

At present, I'm especially diving in to linear algebra and preparing to get into a basic understanding of astrodynamics. I've purchased Bate, Mueller, and White's Fundamentals of Astrodynamics as well as William Tyrell Thomson's Introduction to Space Dynamics. I realize that Thomson especially is a bit outdated (as I understand it, it tends to deal with ideal rather than practical situations), but nevertheless I think I'll get a good start that I can build on to progress to more modern work.

Anyway, the thrust (see what I did there?) of this whole spiel is that I was wondering if anyone knew of any solution guides (not just "the answers," but solutions) that I might use to check my own solutions to the problems the books present as a means of verifying my understanding?

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm a historian (in training) by profession and passion, but I have a lighter, avocational interest in a number of other fields, among them mathematics, astronomy, and astronautics.

To that end, in my free time I like to supplement my (ongoing) formal education with self-study in a number of other fields (the reason a strong, solid humanities or liberal arts is the most important asset one can have is that it is, ultimately, an education in learning: it equips you to pick up any subject you're interested in without the necessity of further formal guidance).

At present, I'm especially diving in to linear algebra and preparing to get into a basic understanding of astrodynamics. I've purchased Bate, Mueller, and White's Fundamentals of Astrodynamics as well as William Tyrell Thomson's Introduction to Space Dynamics. I realize that Thomson especially is a bit outdated (as I understand it, it tends to deal with ideal rather than practical situations), but nevertheless I think I'll get a good start that I can build on to progress to more modern work.

Anyway, the thrust (see what I did there?) of this whole spiel is that I was wondering if anyone knew of any solution guides (not just "the answers," but solutions) that I might use to check my own solutions to the problems the books present as a means of verifying my understanding?

Bad Pun! :lol:

Dunno if there would be any solution guides, but Orbiter still would work nicely as a way to check.

Good to see another person that really likes history. I suppose I could have gone into that field as well, but I chose to study Physics at UWaterloo instead. Whats your area of interest?

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score

Though probably much more basic than your books, this site has good intros to fundamentals ("Basics of Space Flight") and includes many problems and answers.
http://www.braeunig.us/space/

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Though probably much more basic than your books, this site has good intros to fundamentals and includes many problems and answers.
http://www.braeunig.us/space/

Outstanding site. If only google could turn that up in an average search about Apollo, instead of the crap that moon-hoaxers spew. The issue in that debate is less about facts than volume :facepalm:

Kurt M. Weber

Reaction score
Bad Pun! :lol:

Dunno if there would be any solution guides, but Orbiter still would work nicely as a way to check.

Well...most of the problems that I've browsed through so fare are heavily abstracted, or involve made-up bodies whose relevant physical characteristics are nice round numbers to make the arithmetic simpler so it doesn't get in the way of understanding the problem.

Good to see another person that really likes history. I suppose I could have gone into that field as well, but I chose to study Physics at UWaterloo instead. Whats your area of interest?

Religious dissent and popular identity in late imperial Russia.

It's more exciting than it sounds. To me, at least :)

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Religious dissent and popular identity in late imperial Russia.

It's more exciting than it sounds. To me, at least :)

I'll bet. Ive never gotten around to studying the late Russian empire & its fall, but I think it would be an interesting topic. Can you recommend any particularly good titles on the subject?