Problem [SOLVED] Spacecraft3: Problem to show HUD/MFD in VC

Hispa

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I tried all ways to put MFD and HUD on my VC, but all I can see is that the groups assigned to MFD comes black, but don't show the MFD at all. I tried with rectangles, squares, grouped, not grouped, meshed, textured, not textured, etc.

Anybody knows what am I doing bad?

Last edited:

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Did you follow instructions on page 33 of "./Orbitersdk/doc/API_Guide.pdf" for creating mesh groups used for MFDs?

Hispa

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ehem! :blush:

---------- Post added at 21:28 ---------- Previous post was at 15:39 ----------

After reading the manual, I still have no idea of how to create such group in anim8or. I would apreciate any help or tutorial.

Hispa

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
discovery_ii_007.jpg

The black rectangle you're seeing should be an active MFD. I created the square group and fill to convert it in a flat mesh. I tried lots of combination, but none worked. I'm stuck here and cannot continue the work until I know how to solve it.

simcosmos

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
simcosmos.planetaclix.pt
Hola!

From what remember, the procedure to make an active virtual cockpit with spacecraft3.dll was straightforward (at least it was in my case, for the MFD definitions; for the HUD had a little more difficulty).

You might wish to try the [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2206"]Virtual cockpit demo[/ame] from 'markp'.

If still no go or as an alternative, Hispa, if you wish, I could check my 'simcosmos' development archives and send one 'square' already prepared for MFD purposes: you could then try to 'glue' it into your own anim8or cockpit, export to Orbiter format and then, on the INI file, write something like:

Code:
[VC]
MESHNAME="<your addon directory here>\<the name of the VC mesh here>"
MFD_LEFT=<part number of the MFD left square>
MFD_RIGHT=<part number of the MFD right square>
( ... )

You can identify part numbers by opening the mesh or by using the handy plugin included in Orbiter (Mesh debugger). Ho, and it might also be better to give some 'artificial light' to the MFD square(s) (by tweaking the related material properties).

The above just for the MFD, for HUD I had a few issues in sizing the HUD into an MFD (probably messed some numerical input, would need to go back to check but the 'Virtual Cockpit Demo' should clear doubts).

If wishing my 'MFD square' feel free to contact by email.
(have attached one older / outdated image where there are two active MFDs (commander seat at left showing Docking MFD and the cool Camera MFD), one central MFD where should have been the HUD but, at the time, was having some issues in displaying it correctly, and then , at the right side, two other MFD with dummy textures... there are also two extra rectangular MFD also with dummy textures... it would be nice if a future version of spacecraft.dll could support more than two MFD!)

Happy development,
António

PS: all the above for Orbiter 2006: haven't yet tried spacecraft3.dll VC display in Orbiter2010

Attachments

• NASA_VSE_SC_DEVWIP20091010simcosmos.jpg
    NASA_VSE_SC_DEVWIP20091010simcosmos.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

Hispa

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks! Thanks! Thanks! At least some light for my problem. I'll study it and repeat the tutorial instructions.

My model is an anim8or type too, and I'm trying to start testing it with a spacecraft3 type config, but when I finish the model, I want to make it a custom dll to add Ummu capabilities, animations, fuel and oxigen consuption... maybe a virtual electric system. Let's see what can I do.

Once again, you saved my day, António.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Don't forget to texture your mesh group. The best approach is to draw a simple square and assign an individual separate texture for it. In mesh wizard you can then find it's number.
This should get you going, but you might need to adjust texture mapping and triangle grouping (one square = two triangles :) ).

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Don't forget to texture your mesh group. The best approach is to draw a simple square and assign an individual separate texture for it. In mesh wizard you can then find it's number.
This should get you going, but you might need to adjust texture mapping and triangle grouping (one square = two triangles :) ).

I think it's clearly explained in the Orbitersdk/doc/API_Guide.pdf:
API_Guide.pdf said:
The texture coordinates of the vertices should be: top left corner: (0,0), top right corner: (1,0), bottom left corner: (0,1) and bottom right corner: (1,1). Set 'TEXTURE 0' and 'FLAG 3' for this group. This will exclude the group from normal rendering (Orbiter uses a special render pass for MFDs). You can select a material of your choice. A material with specular reflection will produce a 'glass surface' effect.

Hispa

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
discovery_ii_008.jpg

Too much better than before. Thanks alot you people. Now I must center this HUD properly tyo avoid strange moviments when turning the view on VC.