Gaming Space Engineers (now in BETA)

Dantassii

HUMONGOUS IMS shipbuilder
Reaction score
I'm running under the Stable Branch, so the weekly updates to the DEV branch aren't as important to me.

Dantassii
HUMONGOUS spaceship builder

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I spend more and more time in linux lately, so SE isn't readily switchable, and I'm not about to start mucking about with WINE again. Still, it's nice to see development continuing, even if they don't seem to have added much game to the game yet.

Gerdih

Reaction score
New multiplayer code? did anyone check how stable is that? I am eager to be back to the game

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Last time I tried, it was still awefully slow on my notebook.

Dantassii

Reaction score
So, I can expect having to buy a better PC for playing it again. :facepalm:

:n00b:

Actually, I've thought that SE was being designed for the computer of the future.. so even the FASTEST computer available today won't be fast enough to run SE with all the settings at their maximum.

That being said, this STABLE branch download took over 3 hours to download for me...

Dantassii

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Regarding the rifle used in the beta trailer--that's not how holographic sights work! The red dot is projected at some distance and can only be seen when looking straight through...otherwise it would be kind of useless for aiming...

Literally unplayable!

Last edited:

Gerdih

Reaction score
Is anyone still playing this game? I got a nice ZBook 15U G5 and I would like to come back from time to time. Any of you in a nice server?

Dantassii

Reaction score
I've been playing it for many years. The current game requires some SERIOUS hardware, but it is quite enjoyable, even in single player mode. Multi-player still has issues, but they are mainly people issues, not gaming issues. What do I mean by serious hardware? Here's what I run it on:

AMD Threadripper CPU (32 core)
32 GB RAM
SSD hard drive
GForce 1080Ti video card

It doesn't max out any of my hardware, but the biggest bottle neck is RAM and multi-threading. It does not use more than 4 CPUs of my 32 but it can use up to 10 GB of RAM under certain conditions.

Oh, and it's been out of Beta testing for about a year now.... Although they do come out with new patches with all new material every few months, which generally forces me to start all over again from scratch to get all the new features they added.

Dantassii
HUMONGOUS IMS Shipbuilder

Gerdih

Reaction score
I got:

Intel i7-9750H
16Gb RAM
NVIDIA Quadro P600 4Gb
512Gb SSD PCIe M2

Runs quite smooth, but I haven't had the chance to push it to the limits yet.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I used to find it quickly boring back in the days i hosted a server, but nowadays it suddenly became sustainably interesting.

The addition of planets really changed the dynamics of the game, and made it possible to have a variety of permutations of fun and things to do, especially with a few mods to add some actual enemies.

i7-8700K, 32Gb RAM, 1070 Ti, never had it lag despite some rather large scale shenanigans.

Reading through the old thread, looks like they done a lot of a good job - collision detection works great, there is a garbage collection system now (the biggest piece of maintenance work on a server), planet rendering makes me want to look under the hood.
In other words, it's really stable and immersive now.

Gerdih

Reaction score
Noticed it has contract and economy system now, didnt try it yet though

---------- Post added at 09:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 PM ----------

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Speaking of mods, here is my selection:

-Space Just Got Real https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1136188499
Turns the cheesy nebulae and bright ambient lighting into something a bit more realistic.

-Modular Encounters Spawner https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1521905890
-Assertive Installations https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1464803311
-Assertive Cargo Ships https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1902970975
Adds stuff flying around, stuff shooting at you and stuff for you to shoot at.

-Defense Shields https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1365616918
-Large Ship Railguns https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1431583896
A good balance for the above if you want a hostile world instead of a super hostile one.

-Procedurally Generated Ore https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1649218738
Turns automated space communism and resource utopia world into a scarcity driven exploration world.

-Ore Detector+ https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=790577250
A good balance for the above, if surveying gets too boring.

Gerdih

Reaction score
Are you playing now with these mods? I have been two days playing the Solar System scenario and it's a PAIN on the ass.

I landed in Europa-like moon, haven't even been able to build a refinery yet, and my spawn ship already drained most of it's power. I am just suriving by respawning and I get most of my resources by trading the few supply drops that I find every 10 mins.

Feels like there is an actual progression now, you don't get to endgame so fast and you rely more on commerce with factions.

---------- Post added at 03:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 AM ----------

Seen this: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1401481091

Very nice addition. I am normally against mods, specially against those ones that change game mechanics. I like my creations to be a product of squeezing game mechanics and it levels everyone at the same reference. Although I agree SE could use a bunch of them to increase experience, I might do my own search as well!

Last edited:

Dantassii

Reaction score
You need to plan out where you are going at the start. However, the limitations of no Platinum/Uranium on planets and no Uranium on Moons is by far the hardest thing to deal with. The first thing I always do is put 6 solar arrays on my landing craft and grind off anything I don't need on them (like the atmospheric thrusters). The 1 mod I always use is the Gravel Resource Extractor. This 1 mod gives you some of all of the ingots from gravel and over time can make up for the lack of certain elements on planets and moons. I've also found that in the mid-game I let my computer run 24/7 processing stone into gravel and gravel into other resources for up to a week at a time. No matter how large my base is, I can mine stone faster than it can process it.

Dantassii
HUMONGOUS IMS Shipbuilder

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I am normally against mods, specially against those ones that change game mechanics.
I like two kinds of mods - ones that make a game look better and ones that make the game more interesting.

Most of my list are the latter, since i find vanilla game a bit too saturated. Resources are everywhere, enemies are rare and wimpy and never strike first, there are no reasons to go to other planets since everything is available everywhere, and so on.
So after a bit of an initial setup the game devolves into basically creative mode.

It's a lot more fun to play when you need to hunt for resources, when you need to build defenses, when you need to go to other planets, and so on.

The 1 mod I always use is the Gravel Resource Extractor. This 1 mod gives you some of all of the ingots from gravel and over time can make up for the lack of certain elements on planets and moons.
Isn't that a vanilla feature since forever? Stone yielding basic ingots?