orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
A video from yesterday's RS-25 firing test:

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
The RS-25 flew for 30 years.

Is there anything different about it now to make the test firing significant?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The RS-25 flew for 30 years.

Is there anything different about it now to make the test firing significant?

Yes, a lot, a NASA info-graphic explained a lot about this question.

rs-25_testing_infographic.jpg

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
A video from yesterday's RS-25 firing test:
Countdown to Deep Space - YouTube

I forgot that these RS-25s needed to burn for something like 8+ minutes for the shuttle (and for the SLS?) and were intended to be reusable. That's one tough engine. And they're uprating it for 109%? If they could squeeze out one more percent they could say that "This engine goes to 11". :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I forgot that these RS-25s needed to burn for something like 8+ minutes for the shuttle (and for the SLS?) and were intended to be reusable. That's one tough engine. And they're uprating it for 109%? If they could squeeze out one more percent they could say that "This engine goes to 11". :lol:

Actually, it was already uprated to 109% RPL. But that power level was only supposed to be used for certain abort modes and was AFAIR never used during a mission.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Interesting, makes a lot of sense to push those engines further as the constraint of reusability is lifted.

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
Actually, it was already uprated to 109% RPL. But that power level was only supposed to be used for certain abort modes and was AFAIR never used during a mission.

It will be now, and if it were me, I'd shift the scale. But I'm nobody so who cares what I think.:thumbup:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
This is correct. The Block II SSME which this really is was designed from outset to enable routine operation at 109%. However, this never happened due to a late discovered fact that prevented any long-term 109% throttle-levels and that fact was that the flow-liners in the orbiters just couldn't take the stresses associated with the 109% throttle level.

This was discovered in the summer of 2002 when several small cracks were found in the LH2 flow-liner of each orbiter. The cracks halted all the aft engine compartment work being done on the orbiters causing delays that lasted all summer and part of early fall.

---------- Post added 08-15-15 at 12:04 AM ---------- Previous post was 08-14-15 at 07:54 PM ----------

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
...while watching the "Enlarge your Pe...gasus size" video I wondered:
Why is that core stage so much havier than the ET? Is it mainly the (4) Engines?
136,000 lbs vs. 800,000 lbs is a huge difference!

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
I actually wondered that myself.

In addition to the weight of the engines though, the SLS core is also stretched more than the ET, and there is a different propellant feed system AND thrust structure since the RS-25s are at the base of the tank, rather than in an orbiter's MPS.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Why is that core stage so much havier than the ET? Is it mainly the (4) Engines?

Well, I'd say that the "vertical" configuration also puts more stress on the first stage, so it has to be reinforced (more sensitive to stuff like pogo oscillations ?). Maybe that the max-G and max-Q will be a bit higher too ?

Last edited:

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Well, I'd say that the "vertical" configuration also puts more stress on the first stage, so it has to be reinforced (more sensitive to stuff like pogo oscillations ?). Maybe that the max-G and max-Q will be a bit higher too ?

Longer/taller stages must also be made stiffer as buckling is more of a concern.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
That's what she said...

Anyway, don't forget all the tank internals add weight also; baffles, pipes, instrumentation, etc. It all adds up.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
According to Spaceflight Now, some extra ablative material has also been added on the engine nozzle outside, for thermal shielding :

Besides the new computer and higher pressures, the engines will get much hotter on the Space Launch System because the design puts them closer to the molten exhaust plume from the launcher’s twin solid rocket boosters.

“We’re going after several specific test objectives,” Wofford said. “One of those is to check the performance of the ablative material on the nozzle. The engines are co-planar with the boosters on SLS, so they see much higher temperature conditions. We’re adding ablative (material) to the outside of the nozzle to protect against that.”

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Well, four engines + thrust structure (which was part of the orbiter in the shuttle), also stronger connections for the stronger SRBs, larger diameter, longer stage, inline second stage, etc...

There are quite many reasons for the higher mass, alone 4 RS-25 add about 25,000 lbs to it.

The ET of the shuttle had it much easier - the SRBs connected to the same structures that also connected to the orbiter, so the ET itself only had to handle the thrust inbalances.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Still I find the difference extreme.
The S-IC (shorter than SLS core though) with 5 F1 engines weighted just 298,104 lb.
Even if we add the 2nd stage S-II (86,086 lb) we're still far off 800,000 lbs.
I would really be interested in the actual numbers, 800,000 lbs is of corse just an estimate.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
According to Wikipedia, the SLS first stage is supposed to weight just 187,990 lb empty - which does sum up much better. 800,000 lb is possible the mass of the stage for testing.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
According to Wikipedia, the SLS first stage is supposed to weight just 187,990 lb empty - which does sum up much better. 800,000 lb is possible the mass of the stage for testing.
Yes, I believe that is the gross mass, not dry mass.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yes, I believe that is the gross mass, not dry mass.

No, gross mass is much higher for that stage, 2,159,322 lb.

The ET had already a much higher gross mass than 800,000 lb: 1,680,000 lb