Flight Question space shuttle re-entry video tutorial

railfanatic844

Reaction score
hello everyone, i've seen all of the re-entry videos on youtube and i've tried glideslope, aerobrake, base sync etc. nothing works. can someone please kindly post a video to help me out? it would be greatly appreciated. :thumbup:

-AJ

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
What do you mean by 'nothing' works? If you've already seen the videos and not had any joy how would another one help?

If you could describe the issue and what you are doing in some more detail someone might be able to give you some specific advice.

railfanatic844

Reaction score
What do you mean by 'nothing' works? If you've already seen the videos and not had any joy how would another one help?

If you could describe the issue and what you are doing in some more detail someone might be able to give you some specific advice.

well by nothing works i mean i usually fall short, cant perform the S turns, or just bounce off of the atmosphere. The videos on youtube are sort of just showing re-entry and landing, not really step by step :(

i can re-enter and land just fine in a XR2, DGIV, and Apollo Missions! :( the shuttle is my only problem when it comes to docking with the iss and re-entering

Last edited:

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
you say that even with Glideslope you cant get the Shuttle into that atmosphere. This is hard to believe, as I find Glideslope MFD makes it very easy to manage the descent. Make sure you are using the automatic steering. This will hold your AoA at 40 degrees and makes performing the S-turns much simpler as it allows you to change the bank, and when you stop pushing on the stick it will damped and hold the bank angle, all the while also holding the AoA. If needed, a little back pressure can be applied to further pitch the nose up, usefull in killing some velocity.

There are two key screens in Glideslope to use, one is the vertical situation screen which shows two lines, your velocity and your altitude, and then shows the path you have already crossed. The second screen is the one with tapes of various information, as well as markings for which each value is supposed to be to maintain the corridor. If you see your altitude is too high becauce the 40 degree AoA is creating too much lift, start an S-turn, of at least 60 degrees and hold it and the lift will go away, allowing descent.