Space Shuttle Ultra 1.25 Revision B development

SiameseCat

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The AOA AP should work now (it does on my computer). The earlier version was using the old Orbiter aerosurface definitions instead of the new code.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The AOA AP should work now (it does on my computer). The earlier version was using the old Orbiter aerosurface definitions instead of the new code.
Works much better now! Something I did notice is that the orbiter generates a tremendous amount of lift when at zero roll. And it isn't slowing down per schedule, I guess this could be attributed to atmosphere model Orbiter is using compared to the real one in 2003.

Thundersnook

Reaction score
Great to hear he there is an AOA AP :) Thats what I've been waiting for a long time on the Shuttle-Vehicles^^

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Great to hear he there is an AOA AP :) Thats what I've been waiting for a long time on the Shuttle-Vehicles^^
The AoA AP only maintains the correct Angle of Attack (AoA). It isn't a full-fledged AP like AutoFCS. You still have to perform the rolls during entry.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Almost done with a new FRL-coated Standard-Weight ET(SWT).

Attachments

• SWT_Preview.jpg
    SWT_Preview.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 360

Thundersnook

Reaction score
The AoA AP only maintains the correct Angle of Attack (AoA). It isn't a full-fledged AP like AutoFCS. You still have to perform the rolls during entry.
Thats exactly what I've hoped! :) otherwise its much to easy! ;) Reentry should be a taff mission, not something leen-back-joe-the-autopilot-is-doing-that-for-me-stuff :thumbup:

Last edited:

SiameseCat

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Works much better now! Something I did notice is that the orbiter generates a tremendous amount of lift when at zero roll. And it isn't slowing down per schedule, I guess this could be attributed to atmosphere model Orbiter is using compared to the real one in 2003.
That's realistic - the main reason the shuttle banks is to 'dump' the excess lift so it doesn't skip out of the atmosphere.

SiameseCat

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The lights themselves are easy to implement, but it'll take a bit more work to get all the cockpit switches working.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Houston, we have a big FCS problem! Nearly completed a flawless entry but then at M=3, the elevons became saturated and even went beyond the mechanical hardstop limits!

This seriously needs to be looked at!

Poscik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That's because there are no entries between Mach 0.8 and Mach 4.0.

Last edited:

Poscik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
On DaveS' request, I slightly modified GOX venting method. It is now dependent on fuel amount in ET. Vent "smoke" appears only if ET is filled at least in 60%. Venting is not so strong now. Looks like on attached screenshot. I'm also planning to modify MPS purge with the same method. New scenario entry for SSU_Pad is for example:
Code:
SHUTTLE Endeavour
Just like for SSU_LCC. I attached modified files. Please backup yours before applying mine ;)
ssupad.jpg

View attachment ssu.zip

Poscik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Just missed the line that tells GVA how much fuel is in ET. Small fix attached. Also to make it work just after scenario launch, make sure you have that configuration:

Code:
ACCESS_ARM 1 1.0000
  GVA 1 1.0000
  VENTHOOD 1 1.0000
  GOX_SEQUENCE 2
  SHUTTLE name

PAD waits until VentHood returns OPEN state, and then, if enough propellant, renders liquid oxygen smoke. Fix makes it independent how big PRPLEVEL you set in scenario. It will always assign fuel mass from ET.

View attachment fix.zip

Poscik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
And very important info! You may experience CTD on ET separation. If it occurs, just let me know.

[EDIT]
I can confirm that CTD. I know what is the problem and I'll fix it tomorrow.

Last edited:

Poscik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This is update for my light mod, I uploaded the fix, but it's not effective now. Please download all needed files again. Make sure to back-up old files. CTD fixed, and added some security to not try to get data when there is no tank. :hello:

View attachment full mod.zip

SiameseCat

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Checked in a basic entry sideslip autopilot. It works fairly well except during roll reversals (when there is still a lot of sideslip). Also, it's enabled/disabled along with the AOA autopilot, instead of being tied to the Roll/Yaw CSS PBI.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Checked in a basic entry sideslip autopilot. It works fairly well except during roll reversals (when there is still a lot of sideslip). Also, it's enabled/disabled along with the AOA autopilot, instead of being tied to the Roll/Yaw CSS PBI.
Now all that is needed is for the AoA AP to maintain the correct AoA with the ARCS as well, not just the elevons!

SiameseCat

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
RCS pitch channel has been checked in.

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 PM ----------

Is there any need for the shuttle dialogs? I think dialogs currently exist for the Payload Bay Panel (R13), the RMS and the PLBD cameras; AFAIK, all of these can be deleted.

Last edited:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Aerodynamics still need work. Once again the problem is the M=3 region. Other than that, entry was smooth flying.