Project Space Shuttle Vessel

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
The attachment needs 3 vectors: a position vector, a direction vector from that position, and then an "up" direction from the direction vector, which is the orientation vector. Making the analogy with a key and a lock, the position vector tells where the lock is, the direction vector tells the direction from which the key will be inserted (changing the sign of this vector will switch between putting the key from inside or outside of the door), and the orientation vector tells the rotation of the key (some go in upright, others sideways).

ploverlay.png

This all assumes the trunnions in the mesh have the correct distances between them, and they "place" the payload inside the 90 inch payload volume.
The attachment is placed in the keel trunnion (the one on the bottom). So the distance from the longeron trunnions (the ones on the sides) to the attachment in the keel is 414.05-305.025=109.025 inches or 2.769235 meters. Find the coordinates of the longeron trunnions and subtract it from 2.769235 and that's the up/down position.
The sideways axis coordinate is 0.
Longitudinally, the 3 trunnion locations need to have their relative distances as a multiple of 3.933 inches, or 0.0998982m. From there, the last coordinate of the attachment position is found, as well as the "distances" between the PLIDs (e.g., the fwd longeron is 10 PLIDs ahead of the keel PLID, and 15 ahead of the aft PLID).
The direction vector, is "down" from the keel, so the coordinate of that axis is 1 or -1, and the others are 0.
The orientation vector should point in the direction of the part that is going to be forward in the PLB, so the longitudinal axis coordinate is 1 or -1, and the others 0.

Now with the attachment defined, all that remains is placing the payload in the PLB by defining the PLIDs in the Mission Editor. One can always pick at random if it is a custom payload, but for real payloads the idea is to use the actual numbers. They can be found in some mission payload bay diagrams that contain the Xo coordinates, which can be easily translated to the PLID number with a table in the document gattispilot posted a few days ago. When those diagrams aren't available, one can always find a photo of the PLB and count slots in the bridge fittings, which should be well placed in SSV to match the real thing.

..and that should be it.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Another thing I saw that was missing in the Mission Editor was the option to set a vessel as a rendezvous target so SPEC 34 ORBIT TGT can be used. Currently you need to have knowledge of setting up the SSV section of a scenario file manually to get it up and running. I'm thinking a simple checkbox in the Other Vessels tab to select the rendezvous target. Well, that or another ILOAD entry.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Another thing I saw that was missing in the Mission Editor was the option to set a vessel as a rendezvous target so SPEC 34 ORBIT TGT can be used. Currently you need to have knowledge of setting up the SSV section of a scenario file manually to get it up and running. I'm thinking a simple checkbox in the Other Vessels tab to select the rendezvous target. Well, that or another ILOAD entry.
The software module that uses that parameter doesn't run all the time, so setting it at launch isn't a real option.
The current scenario-edit solution is already mentioned in the manual (but more detail could be added), and no changes are planned in the short-term.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks GLS for your hard work and the release of SSV. :hailprobe:
I downloaded and installed SSV as per your instructions but for some reason all CRTs show black screens.
Any idea why that happens?
Thanks

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Thanks GLS for your hard work and the release of SSV. :hailprobe:
I downloaded and installed SSV as per your instructions but for some reason all CRTs show black screens.
Any idea why that happens?
Thanks
Thanks!
Are you running Orbiter 2016 or a beta? If it is a beta, them that might be the issue. If not, can you post the log?

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I am on Orbiter 2016
Cuold you please remind me how to correctly post a log file here. Tks, been a veery long time..

Last edited:

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I am on Orbiter 2016
Cuold you please remind me how to correctly post a log file here. Tks, been a veery long time..
So, it is the Orbiter.log file in the Orbiter folder. You should be able to attach it to a post using the "Attach files" button below the post text box, or you can open the file and post the contents (please post it inside code tags: click "Code" on the top of the post text box and paste into there).

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I had the same issue, I installed SSV in an older Orbiter 2016 install with an older DX9 Client version and what fixed it for me was to just update the DX9 Client to the newest version.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I had the same issue, I installed SSV in an older Orbiter 2016 install with an older DX9 Client version and what fixed it for me was to just update the DX9 Client to the newest version.
Yeah, that could be it.
FYI, I used D3D9 R4.25 in the compilation. Will add a "minimum version" requirement to the manual.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Ok, thanks guys. I'll try to update the DX9 client (the current one I have is indeed pretty old)

I can confirm the issue is gone with a more recent D9X install. thanks

Last edited:

thermocalc

Reaction score
dear GLS,
sorry to show up only now, even if I was constantly looking for your updates, but in the recent months I got a lot of private issues and health problems to deal with that kept me awake all nights...including losing my job (but ok, now I find a new one, even if unfortunately I will need to relocate myself back to Europe next year, letting behind all my family (wife+son+dog)) :cry: ,but ok just +5 years to be retired and come back here again :love:) .... so surely next year I will be using Orbiter more than I was able to do until now, ....
so finally I CONGRATULATE you for your nice work :hailprobe:
I just installed SSV 1.0 together the new version of Indy91 FDO MFD ... time to remove dust from all space shuttle manuals ... but I am sure I will need some help from you all at some point ... now I am impatient to get started.
thanks again for your dedication and nice work.

@Wolf
I was wondering if now that the new SSV has been released you will keep going updating your "old" checklists documents of the SSU era ... I found them very helpful to move my first steps...

best regards to all.
Paolo

Reactions: GLS

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
@Wolf
I was wondering if now that the new SSV has been released you will keep going updating your "old" checklists documents of the SSU era ... I found them very helpful to move my first steps...

best regards to all.
Paolo

Hi Paolo, I appreciate the use of the SSU Checklists was somehow useful to you. As far as SSV I have not "explored" the new Orbiter yet but from what I understood it is a kind of a SSU on steroids (more things have been already implemented and I guess GLS have many more to come) but I think the current checklists are still usable as they are a customized version of the NASA originals. Maybe in the future I will update them to better suit SSV (time permitting). I would rather try some hi-resolution textures for SSV but that requires even more time. We'll see..

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
It's time for another Release Tuesday!!! :hailprobe:
Version 1.1 has been released: https://github.com/GLS-SSV/SSV

It has a few corrections, improvements and the main new feature is functional vent doors. More details about the changes and their implications in the release notes and change log files.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
On the payload bay attachments. On the active payload bay fixtures do they open/close? Also I thought they could move around on the bridge rails?
On the Keels even though the keel attachment would attach to the ribs. Could the center part of the Keel attachment move depending on the payload.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
On the payload bay attachments. On the active payload bay fixtures do they open/close?
Yes, you assign a latch system to each PRLA and then you can open and close them with the switches in panel A6U.

Also I thought they could move around on the bridge rails?
Just pick the PLID for each latch and everything will show up in the right place.

On the Keels even though the keel attachment would attach to the ribs. Could the center part of the Keel attachment move depending on the payload.
Save deal as above.

A general note: all the attachment locations in the shuttle were predefined, their positions fixed at every 3.933 inches along the Payload Bay (with gaps for structures and such) and each is identified by a PLID number.
There was no "move the latch a bit this way", they were fixed* and the payloads, in their design phase, had to "adapt" to the system.
This is the way I tried to implement the attachments, and IMO it makes it easier to place payloads in the Payload Bay, but it requires the payloads to "follow the rules" by having the trunnions in the correct place.

*) actually the latches could be unpinned to allow expansion and/or distortions of large payloads... I doubt anyone has such advanced payloads.

moonheart

Reaction score
I've been trying out the new SSV and I'd like to congratulate you on a fantastic job! The amount of time and effort put into the project is incredible.

I'm wondering if there is a set of procedure documents that explain (literally) how to use the systems. For more basic users like myself I can't even perform the OMS 1 burn because I'm lost as to what to turn on and how to program the DPS. I can find my way around things like opening the star trackers and Payload Bay Doors - but configuring the DPS to do anything - I'm lost. Yes - I have read the readmes - and while they are excellent primers at explaining the overall functions - the actual procedures are not detailed. I've looked at the SSU documents and they don't seem to conform. Any assistance is much appreciated!

Very happy to see SSV alongside the Space Shuttle System 2016 releases - as there is room for both - they function differently.

Thanks again.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Vent Doors 4 and 7 are not hidden properly on the starboard side, while the ones on the port side are. This is with vent doors 4 and 7 disabled in the Mission Editor.

Attachments

• SSV_stbd_vent_doors_4_7_not_hidden.jpg
    SSV_stbd_vent_doors_4_7_not_hidden.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 22

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I've been trying out the new SSV and I'd like to congratulate you on a fantastic job! The amount of time and effort put into the project is incredible.

I'm wondering if there is a set of procedure documents that explain (literally) how to use the systems. For more basic users like myself I can't even perform the OMS 1 burn because I'm lost as to what to turn on and how to program the DPS. I can find my way around things like opening the star trackers and Payload Bay Doors - but configuring the DPS to do anything - I'm lost. Yes - I have read the readmes - and while they are excellent primers at explaining the overall functions - the actual procedures are not detailed. I've looked at the SSU documents and they don't seem to conform. Any assistance is much appreciated!

Very happy to see SSV alongside the Space Shuttle System 2016 releases - as there is room for both - they function differently.

Thanks again.
The SSV manual is not really a "Space Shuttle manual", but more a "how to use SSV if you know the shuttle".
Good reads about the real vehicle:
SCOM (general information): https://www.nasa.gov/centers/johnson/pdf/390651main_shuttle_crew_operations_manual.pdf
Crew Software Interface (how to "talk" to the DPS, which in SSV is still missing tons of things, so some procedures won't work): https://www.nasa.gov/centers/johnson/pdf/383444main_crew_software_interface_21002.pdf

So, OMS burns. There are (real) checklists for this, but I'll write a quick list with the essentials:
  • OMS burns can only be performed in MM 104 (OMS-1), MM 105 (OMS-2), MM 202 (orbit change burns) and MM 302 (deorbit burn);
  • to "enable" the OMS engines make sure the OMS ENG switches on panel C3 are in ARM or ARM/PRESS;
  • burn parameters are input in the "XXXXX MNVR YYYYY" display;
  • first choose which engines to be used with ITEMs 1-3;
  • time of ignition is set with ITEMs 10-13, days, hours, minutes and seconds MET;
  • how much to burn, in feet per second, with ITEMs 19-21, +X is prograde , Y is normal to the orbital plane and +Z is down;
  • ITEM 22 will load those parameters and calculate a solution, displayed in the top-right box;
  • if you don't like the target orbit, you can change the parameters and reload again;
  • ITEM 23 starts a timer to ignition on the top-right of the display;
  • ITEM 27 directs the autopilot place the vehicle in burn attitude, but it needs to be in AUTO (check pushbuttons indicators on panel C3);
  • as the vehicle turns to burn attitude, the time until it reaches it is displayed in the top-center in front of "TTG";
  • be sure to get to this point well before the burn, so there is enough time to maneuver the vehicle, otherwise the TTG time will be in yellow meaning it will not be in attitude by ignition time (so you should use the RHC to turn faster, and then go back to AUTO);
  • 15 seconds prior to ignition, a flashing "EXEC" will show up on the top left of the display, which is pretty much asking you if you really want to burn, and you should press the EXEC key to proceed;
  • the engines should ignite at the planned time and go off when they have done their work;
  • have fun burning the OMS in orbit, but remember to save some prop for the deorbit burn.

Vent Doors 4 and 7 are not hidden properly on the starboard side, while the ones on the port side are. This is with vent doors 4 and 7 disabled in the Mission Editor.
It's the same texture and mesh, so the outline is still there, but those doors don't open... it could look better but it would be much more work than it's worth, and there are many other important things to do.

moonheart

Reaction score
Thanks GLS - will give this a try!

Much appreciated and helps to explain some of the functionality!

thermocalc

Reaction score
@moonheart
in addition to what GLS already mentioned, you may also have a look to different sources:
for example, in the old SSU orbiter forum there were some posts with links to tutorials, checklists, videos and many other topics;
usually GinGin and Wolf were very active to post many missions they flown with many screenshots taken during their trips ...
About Shuttle documentation the SCOM is really a nice document and ...despite the huge number of pages and systems described you can just have a look to its sections (bird view) and gradually pick up or read the parts which are currently simulated in SSV ... same can be said for the DPS Dictionary, where all computer screens are described in details ... again as there is a huge staff to lean "learning by doing" after having get some basic ideas it is helpful.
about "missions" i can't help too much, I am also new to SSV, but back to SSU i was used to look in internet at the press kit pdf files (by google them) of different missions which were already included (my poor program skills didn't allow me to create or customized my own missions) and try to fly them as best as i could, and in these pdf you had almost every you need to know about what to expect or perform with timing (orbit changes, orbital orientations to keep, payload operation, and deorbit). in recent missions from NASA you also can get the real checklists ... but i think at this stage they are too detailed to follow, but surely they are handy to have ...
latest, when you get bored to eye-balling all maneuvers and you are aiming for perfections you may consider to give a try to FDO MFD by Indy91 as well, which has his own treat about it.
really last, Torsten and GinGin have a very well documented wikipedia webpage about their own space shuttle project, with books, links, checklists, and tutorial which can be used also for orbiter (for what concern the parts simulated so far); Torsen had also in his own homepage a software for calculating "off-line" orbital maneuvers, called LEO targeting ... but honestly i never manage to learn to use properly it and I modestly think that Indy91 FDO MFD is more user friendly to use...if you don't know them just google them, not sure if i can say more about their own project as been outside orbiter (and if i have already broken some orbiter forum rule my apologizes, i didn't mean to brake them, i just wanted to help new comers to enjoy THIS space shuttle :cheers:
good luck and let's wish to GLS all the best for improving steadily his creature ... :hailprobe: