Space Station Construction: First Stage

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
I've started on my space station again, using only the ships I started with: 3 XR-5's, 1 Ariane 6, 1 XR-2, 1 Dragonfly, and 2 DGIV's. Unless something is "repairable" (such as collapsed gear), I wont use the scenario editor for anything, besides UCD, SSBB, etc.

The Names of the XR-5's are:
Expo
Hyrda
Thunderflare
The name of the XR-2 is:
Glory
The names of the DGIV's are:
Varsity
Firestorm

Public Release:
Nae Technologies announced it's intent to build the first, commercially available, tourist space station in Earth's orbit. Co-opperating with Altea Space, Spacetech, and Wideawake International, a space station is set to be fully built by this time next year.

Today, two XR-5's named Expo and Hydra, respectively, launched a dragonfly cargotug, which quickly failed, and some habitat modules. An Ariane 6 donated by the ESA launched the berth, dubbed Hera. Nae Technologies is planning on bringing up an XR-5 dubbed Thunderflare, and a DeltaGlider IV, dubbed Varsity.

What actually happened:
So, everything started off all right. I launched the Hera payload atop the Ariane 6. Then, I launched Expo carrying the Dragonfly to rendezvous with Hera. Eventually I got it to work, then released the dragonfly and docked it to one of the docking ports. Then, undocking, plane change alright, de-orbit burn...okay (For some reason, burning prograde or retrograde changes the values in BaseSyncMFD...oh well). I was lined up pretty much square on with the runway at Wideawake, it's NEVER been that good. But, sadly, I landed with to much vertical speed and the gear collapsed. So, I'm gonna leave that there for a while until ground crews can "fix it".

So, I start loading up Hydra with SSBB, and for some messed up reason, Orbiter kept crashing for no reason, Eventually, it wouldn't load at all. I narrowed it down to the Dragonfly, and just replaced it. But now, I cant get it to work, so I'm just calling it dead until I can rendezvous something with it to bring it back down. But, in messing with the dragonfly, I lost the Hera module. So, i tried launching another Ariane 6, but it kept falling off the pad. Eventually, I cheated and used the scenario Editor to get it into orbit. Then, I launched Hydra to dock with Hera, using a wrong azimuth. 50 degrees off, so I used a good chunk of my fuel. Eventually, we all docked and such.

My next "stage" is going to be get Expo off the runway, and load up Thunderflare and Varsity. Varsity will supply the fuel payload, and Thunderflare will bring up more Modules and a new Dragonfly. Glory will remain and bring up the main crew during stage three.