Project Space Transportation System 2016

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Looks good, very clean. Nice work!

To have status lights going on and off you can use animations.
Draw the status panel unlit, and place the individual lit 3D buttons just behind it.
To light, move the button towards the camera, just enough so that it moves in front of the panel.
To dim move it back. Use full animation states, 0 or 1 and instant animations.

;)
Thanks. Yes that what I did on the landing gear. A cube of green or yellow moves back and forth. I need to look at the manual to figure when the lights come on.

I might have it wrong. As I understand it the gear should be black and when the gear is down then the bar changes color.
YufS6Bb.jpg

so black if not active and change color is active/
Main engine status:
5iaDMnp.jpg

So maybe nothing here as no failures

MkfToNm.jpg

I guess for Orbiter it is % of rcs fuel. Not sure if the fuel is split that way though.

This I am not sure about.
pYgaE5I.jpg

PBUIT0Y.jpg

So if yaw right is firing a white bar appears. But what is Yaw left fires?

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Now we get this for f2 and F$ panels. I will make the BFC yellow one. At least the cube will be there in the mesh. Knowing when they are active is another thing.
vqKUbJJ.jpg

On OMS
ph_oms = CreatePropellantResource (ORBITER_MAX_PROPELLANT_MASS); // OMS propellant SetDefaultPropellantResource (ph_oms); // display OMS tank level in generic HUD

th_oms[0] = CreateThruster (THRUSTREF_OMSL, THRUSTDIR_OMSL, ORBITER_OMS_THRUST, ph_oms, ORBITER_OMS_ISP0, ORBITER_OMS_ISP1); th_oms[1] = CreateThruster (THRUSTREF_OMSR, THRUSTDIR_OMSR, ORBITER_OMS_THRUST, ph_oms, ORBITER_OMS_ISP0, ORBITER_OMS_ISP1);

const double ORBITER_MAX_PROPELLANT_MASS = 21600.0; // Amount of fuel the orbiter can hold in internal OMS tanks

RCS uses the OMS fuel. So I guess on the gauge it should read the % of fuel so ph_oms/21600?

So looking at the Atlantis code. It makes the SSME,OMS and RCS. I wonder how you switch Thrusts?

So on the gear the button should be blank and when the gear is dn the dn button has the bar.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So for rcs. the button changes.
ikphiu0.jpg

But they only have one side marked with W. that would mean the button is black until rcs is fired and then the button turns while lettering. I guess I can just make both l/r u/d have a white rcs button that comes on when firing. The main engine really should be black as it only comes on with issues.

this is from SSU.
zw4UDSD.jpg

You see the no name lights. Since the ADI is not functional. I can make the ATT REF light as SSU where it would be light gray

Attachments

• NEWADIPANEL.jpg
    NEWADIPANEL.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Did a quick search for RCS panel photos.

This is from the Full Fuselage Trainer (name lights )
1624525514542.png

This is from STS-51-F (no name lights)
1624525692307.png

This is Discovery at decommission (no name lights).
1624525772640.png

So no name lights is OK :)

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks. So on the bottom image it is interesting that the ATT REF is lit. I will go with the no name lights.. ANd as YAW is applied to the left the "L" will appear under yaw, and "r" for right yaw,......

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Thanks. So on the bottom image it is interesting that the ATT REF is lit. I will go with the no name lights.. ANd as YAW is applied to the left the "L" will appear under yaw, and "r" for right yaw,......
It isn't lit, it just white text on black push button. And the only thing that lights up is the text itself on the other indicators, not the entire thing.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ok. So the ATT REF it is just white text on a black button. When active the text is lit? Kinda a mute point as this doesn't work.

And on the RCS when active a White L or R appears depending on left and right else it is black?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Ok. So the ATT REF it is just white text on a black button. When active the text is lit? Kinda a mute point as this doesn't work.
It is always white. As I wrote, white painted text on on otherwise black button.

gattispilot said:
And on the RCS when active a White L or R appears depending on left and right else it is black?
This is correct. The indicators work identically to the backlights on modern "gaming" keyboards where the text is transparent so the light can pass through the keycap.

This is true for ALL the indicators, including the Caution & Warning (C&W) matrix indicators on panel F7. In other words: What is black stays black.

And the text on the ABORT PBI only lights up if an abort request has been made from the Flight Director in Mission Control. It is checked out during the launch countdown. It has three modes, bright, dim and off.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks. I think the front is good. I made red and yellow ctr, left, right for SSME.
I redid the side textures so they are clearer.

Not sure if the aft wall needs redone. Specially the payload latch status. Sure I can redo them but should I?

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
EARLYVC NEW
KDL3grn.jpg

2Z13VME.jpg

as I understand it. That center section should be black with white lettering on it. Unless an alarm is active, correct?
I can do that for each alarm. But like the SSME alarm right now they will never go off.
ljiFSg5.jpg

Here the gear is armed and dn.
5PTYegi.jpg

On the RCS/OMS QTy. I need some math help. I have this frmula. But the final answer needs to be a 2 digit number.

RCSQTY = ((fuelmass/ ORBITER_MAX_PROPELLANT_MASS)*100); fuelmass = GetPropellantMass(ph_oms);

It looks like there is no a way to fire OMS and not RCS. By applying thrust you are firing the Main.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
mV6gCgS.jpg
So now the indicator work.

Thrusters created

// propellant resources ph_oms = CreatePropellantResource (ORBITER_MAX_PROPELLANT_MASS); // OMS propellant SetDefaultPropellantResource (ph_oms); // display OMS tank level in generic HUD // Orbiter engines CreateSSME(); // main thrusters CreateOMS(); // OMS thrusters (activated only after tank separation) CreateRCS(); // Reaction control system (activated only after tank separation)
// -------------------------------------------------------------- // Initialise the thrusters for the orbital maneuvering system // -------------------------------------------------------------- void Atlantis::CreateOMS() { //contrail_tex = oapiRegisterParticleTexture("Exhaust_atrcs"); th_oms[0] = CreateThruster (THRUSTREF_OMSL, THRUSTDIR_OMSL, ORBITER_OMS_THRUST, ph_oms, ORBITER_OMS_ISP0, ORBITER_OMS_ISP1); th_oms[1] = CreateThruster (THRUSTREF_OMSR, THRUSTDIR_OMSR, ORBITER_OMS_THRUST, ph_oms, ORBITER_OMS_ISP0, ORBITER_OMS_ISP1); // we don't yet define a thruster group for the OMS engines // They will be assigned to the MAIN group as soon as the ET is jettisoned for (int i = 0; i < 2; i++) AddExhaust(th_oms[i], 2.5, 0.6); //2.5, 0.6 PARTICLESTREAMSPEC OMSex = { 0, .5, 1000, 5, .01, .1, 0, 0, PARTICLESTREAMSPEC::EMISSIVE, PARTICLESTREAMSPEC::LVL_LIN, 0, 1, PARTICLESTREAMSPEC::ATM_FLAT, 0.5, 1.0 }; AddExhaustStream(th_oms[0], _V(-2.8, 3.5, -13.5), &OMSex); AddExhaustStream(th_oms[1], _V(2.8, 3.5, -13.5), &OMSex); } // -------------------------------------------------------------- // Attitude controls (RCS) during orbital phase // Inactive by default. Activated with EnableRCS(true) // -------------------------------------------------------------- void Atlantis::CreateRCS() {

const VECTOR3 THRUSTDIR_OMSL = { 0.10, -0.23, 0.97 };//0.19299542, -0.24495572, 0.95013129 const VECTOR3 THRUSTDIR_OMSR = { -0.10, -0.23, 0.97 }; //-0.19299542, -0.24495572, 0.95013129

EnableSSME(status < 3); EnableRCS(status == 3); EnableOMS(status == 3);

Status =3 if just the orbiter no ET connection.

So the rcs and OMS are active after ET separation.

It looks like the OMS are not gimballed in this model.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I can't decide. Since I made all the front lights be off unless active. I think the C/W Caution/Warning should be like that. So black with white lettering. I can make the amber and red blocks. Really don't see them ever coming on though.

Wcq5nvv.jpg

Also Maybe make the Display function for speed brake,....Really just move the triangle,.....

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Going to make the caution and warning light screen blank. But adding the lights so in the future they might be coded in.

On the SPI. I think I can do that but there are 2 issues. 1 minor Body Flap. It looks like the body flap can be adjusted. On the side there is Body flap Auto and Manual. But the body flap is set like an animation so state is 0 or 1. so 0 % to 100%. I can make it like the speed brake where you can set the flap and increments.

cASmaoQ.jpg

2nd issue. which is major. Is right now in space the rudder,.... all move according to input. The rcs also fire. Inside you can't tell that but if you look from outside you can see them move.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks,
"
From an entry interface of 400,000 feet, the
orbiter is controlled in roll, pitch, and yaw with
the aft RCS jets. The orbiter’s ailerons are used
starting at a dynamic pressure (q-bar) of 2
pounds per square foot (psf), and the aft RCS
roll jets are deactivated at a q-bar of 10 psf. At a
q-bar of 2 psf, the orbiter’s elevons are active,
and the aft RCS pitch jets are deactivated at a
q-bar of 40 psf. The rudder is activated at Mach
5.0, and the aft RCS yaw jets are deactivated at
Mach 1 (approximately 45,000 feet)."

I think there is code to stop control surface animation and to enable/disable RCS. No sure if we can get dynamic pressure.