Spacecraft personifications

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Spacecraft personifications, formerly "XR2 Girl"

This thread is devoted to spacecraft personification; What if your spacecraft were people? What would they look like and how would they act? What do they like, hate, fear, etc. Post any well-done or notable personifications you find, anything you draw of them, personality traits you think of, personalities that are like them, or comments on any of the above. Conceptualizing spacecraft, in order to flesh out their character in the most accurate and interesting way possible, is the main purpose of this thread.

Just...no weeaboos, and please, try to keep it clean. I think this thread has been on the edge of the forum rules at some points...

Anyway, I think you'll find that personification is surprisingly thought-provoking and intriguing, not to mention amusing. When you can see something in human terms, it becomes that much easier to relate to it. When you can put something in human terms, it becomes like knowing a person. It's like animism, to a degree. And when you can discuss these things among fellow pilots, you just might get to know your spacecraft a bit better.

So, hopefully, we'll end up with a good idea of how the spacecraft in Orbiter would be, and some art from the community to go along with it. And maybe some comics or other stuff?
Let's hope for the best! Hail Probe!
:hail::probe:

Now back to the original post...

メカ少女 (Mecha Shoujyo)are the girl that is a personification of the machine, many existing in Japanese communities like Pixiv.
One such girl is now visible in the spaceflight community; she is on the side of SpaceShip2. Not exactly the same, but nevertheless...
Since I love the XR2, I wanted to show my affection somehow, so I've decided to do one for the Ravenstar- actually, a few versions.
There is kind of a range between Mecha Shoujyo, Pinup Girl, and total-personification. If you've seen my poem, I actually did a personified Lady Star, but I'm waiting to get the original back to do a scan.
Here is my first attempt at XR2 girl, rough design sketch (for the mecha):
picture.php

I'm open to suggestions/criticism as to the design. I'm going for a design that's cute, stylish, recognizable, and having the character. It's actually very hard...

By character, I mean, how should she act/appear to act? Example: Doug was adamant about not having ejection, so the XR2 girl would take everyone down with her. XR2 has many "NO STEP" labels, so she might tell you not to step on her, etc.

Basically, if your Ravenstar could talk to you, what would she say?

Ultimately I might have her as a figure for an XR2 skin, or she could even become the unofficial mascot/face of the XR2. Nah...:rolleyes:

Also, I might do XR2 Mk II, XR0, DGIV, Arrow, and others- wonder what they would be like? Would the XR0 be a really little girl, or a cat or something?
Maybe even Probe.
Unless you're one of those Prob'ite Probelims who forbids drawing the creator, but I myself am a Probestant.
:hail::probe:

---------- Post added at 23:41 ---------- Previous post was at 23:20 ----------

English label now.
picture.php

Last edited:

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Um, wow?! :blink:
Thanks, I guess? :)

OK, re-scanned and labeled, some revisions; notice it's just the same picture with stuff added/erased. Lines getting messy...the next one will be new, more detailed.
picture.php

Thighhigh retractable wheeled heeled boots, modeled after Kara's EVA suit. Warning labels stylized/added, top revised, and some other stuff.

Thinking of a place for SCRAMs. The glove things maybe? Extending from hips like the wings? Turbopack? I don't want her to have extra stuff like a turbopack though, that's out of character for an SSTO. Help would be appreciated.

Also, with the "BLAST" label right there, I was thinking that might be a hint of a name.
How about 爆波?(unusual spelling: Bakuha usually means blast but with the Kanji 波 (waves) instead of 破 (destructive) for "ha"、it 's more or less of a name.
Does anyone else here even know Japanese? :blahblah:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
...Bikini Glider... :blink:

I think XR2 Girl is an... interesting concept. :p

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
HehHeh, it says Scram Door near her, umm, scram door:embarrassed:

Or is that the docking ring?:stirpot:
Nice pic! Interesting concept:thumbup:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I was thinking something like Raven-tan for a name, but you're the artist!

No Japanese for me, sorry. I'm limited to English and a tiny bit of German and French.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Also, this trumps my idea of putting a certain other raven on a custom skin.

Attachments

• nix maybe.jpg
    nix maybe.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 175

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
XR2 uses APAS-type docking system and is incompatible with your "Soyuz".

OH. That explains everything.

Pity for us guys. :(

:lol:

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
What do you mean "If your Ravenstar could talk" ?

Mine never shuts up. :lol:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
River Crab said:
:nono: XR2 uses APAS-type docking system and is incompatible with your "Soyuz".
:rofl: That made my day.

Wheels up! Wheels down! APU fuel 90%! Rotate! Wheels up and locked! Mach 1! Caution: wing stress! Mach 2! ROTATION, BEEP![etc.]

Of course, would you prefer if it started saying "Mind my hull temperature, dear. It's over 2000C and I am getting HOT" ? :lol:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Of course, would you prefer if it started saying "Mind my hull temperature, dear. It's over 2000C and I am getting HOT" ? :lol:

:rofl:

Sure, why not... :lol:

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
This post will be a mashup of comments.
This reminds me of my BikiniGlider (Spacecraft.dll) attempt several years ago LOL
This is relevant to my interests. :thumbup:
UMMU? :yes:
I can't model for Cucumber Pepsi, but if a model were made for this, I'd love to see something like the BikiniGlider. An actual vessel with systems and everything. Just imagine her flying! Like Iron Man. However, the XR2 is pretty closed-source, and one does not simply copy the XR2, so you'd have to start with the DG-S or something.

But just having a model would be really cool!

The thread name is kind of misleading, huh...
I'll change it if too many people who don't read the thread post something stupid (the same people who kept asking for ejection).

But yes, the mecha girl would be very talkative. She wouldn't hesitate to complain and call you out repeatedly, even after you and the crew are dead!

The XR2 Mk II poses an interesting twist for personification. Mk II is the younger sister, but is larger and more advanced from the Mk I. Perhaps an Aki Minoriko/Sizuha-type S Complex? (no other convienient description.) Also, vessel size should be directly proportional to physical maturity.:)

Also, anyone ever heard of Egg Plane? :lol:

Girls are preparing...please wait warmly outside VAB.

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
XRたん?
かわいいwwww ( ´∀`)
Fixed.

Anyway...

The community definitely knows the XR2 best, so what do you think about adding/changing about her character?
So far:

• Nationality is English-American.
  • Fast. Like, Tengu fast. Purpose is to get somewhere fast, somewhere like the Moon.
  • Doesn't want help getting into orbit, or doing anything for that matter; Single Stage to everything.
  • Stargate fan.
  • Talkative. Doesn't hesitate to complain and call you out repeatedly, even after you and the crew are dead!
  • Quick to blame- if there's something wrong, it's your fault. "YOU fix it! It's not MY fault that you can't manage your fuel!"
  • And no ejection- If she fails, she will take everyone around down with her.
  • Proclaims she's the most advanced technology. Looks down on your old techology.
  • S Complex for younger sister Mk II- exception to previous statement.
  • Literally cannonballs through re-entry. Or sometimes, just for fun, re-enters upside-down.
  • Picky about fuel; doesn't want anything but her own special Stargate fuel.
  • However, she can be made to carry some small payloads (UCGO boxes and DGIV cargo)
  • Terrified of grey aliens.
Anything else? Changes? How to include the configuration ability? The Furry Dicez? The Arrow bay?

:cheers:

MeDiCS

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
You're addicted to Orbiter when you start to draw anime-style versions of popular addons. In human form, that is.

Kawaii BTW.