SpaceShip Two to be Revealed Tonight

Chupacabra

Reaction score
Tonight at around 8:30-9pm ET (0130-0200GMT) will be the grand unveiling of Virgin Galactic's Spaceship Two in the Mojave Desert.

Virgin Galactic

This is spectacular news. I can't wait to see the newly christened "VSS Enterprise" attached to Eve later tonight!

Cheers everyone! Especially those whom have been working hard in New Mexico. :cheers:

EDIT: Click here for a sneak peak at the pair inside their hangar.

Last edited:

Jake

Deorbinaut
Reaction score
Hmm... Unshielded windows. The astronauts would work out quite the tan if they take their helmets off and look out a sun-facing window. The suit/helmet will prolly be mandatory though.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Hmm... Unshielded windows. The astronauts would work out quite the tan if they take their helmets off and look out a sun-facing window. The suit/helmet will prolly be mandatory though.

Unshielded is not unprotected. The Space Shuttle windows in the flight deck are also not shielded, they are only filtered.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I'm going to need a lot of money soon. . .

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
How much does the ticket cost? (Round-trip of course! hehehehe)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I think that's possibly backwards, given that the "up" phase is where all of the fuel costs are incurred?

No, fuel costs are the smallest cost item, the "intact landing fee" is higher.

Jake

Deorbinaut
Reaction score
Unshielded is not unprotected. The Space Shuttle windows in the flight deck are also not shielded, they are only filtered.

The windows seemed transparent enough not to be filtered... but then again I'm not an expert in radiation filtering. While at it, can you point me to some reading material about filtering window technology? I would like to know more of the subject matter.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The windows seemed transparent enough not to be filtered... but then again I'm not an expert in radiation filtering. While at it, can you point me to some reading material about filtering window technology? I would like to know more of the subject matter.

The key component for the UV protection in the Space shuttle flight Deck windows is a thin layer of ink between the optical and the pressure pane of it (It has three panes, pressure, optical and thermal). It uses the same ink that is used for US bank notes.

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/shuttle/reference/shutref/structure/windows.html

Last edited:

CigDriver

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
It is not reentry worthy from orbital speeds. It is a trip up and then back down, no orbit. The reentry speed is quite low.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
beautiful craft but to me it really doesnt look re-entry worthy. it could just be my ignorance though.

Why not? It has all that it needs. :lol:

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Wow, that is one shiny vehicle. Despite the fact that it's not orbit-capable, I'm still looking forward to seeing it fly. I'm curious to know just how well that feathering system works and if it lives up to the hype that video gives it. And perhaps one day, VG will be flying orbital craft. We'll see! :)

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Shiny! A very attractive looking craft. Burt is a freaking genious! I'm still in awe of his Starship, it's gotta be one of the prettiest twin engine planes out there.

Ark

Reaction score
Cool. It's not a true orbital vehicle, but a first step is a first step.