Spaceships from Wall-E

Overmind5000

DGIV Areonautics expert
Reaction score
interesting Idea, pilot, but someone would need to make a well-functional virtual cockpit. Also here's a suggestion; Why not make the Axiom's escape pods as well? of course I can't make such a thing. oh well. :beach:

Scrooge McDuck

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbitermap.no-ip.org
Again, contact copyright holders before making addons on copyrighted and commercial stuff. This will save trouble.
I don't think there is a problem at all if you recreate your own 3D model based on a ship from a movie and publish it as a free addon for Orbiter.
It has been done countless of time (like 2001 addons, etc. etc.)

In case you use existing 3d models made by someone else, it's a different story..

regards,
mcduck

pete.dakota

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Again, contact copyright holders before making addons on copyrighted and commercial stuff. This will save trouble.

As long there is no intent to make profit, copyright laws to not apply. Also, Orbiter is a free piece of software; so promotion of it by means of copyrighted designs for addons is not unlawful either.

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
The problem is that if they intend to make profit with a similar idea (Orbiter addon would become competition), it may jeopardize their project and therefore you could have a lawsuit.

In copyright issues you can play safe, or you can take risks. Asking for permission is the right way, not asking is a way to add emotion of risk...

My comment was not an intent to annoy, it was an attempt to protect you. You are free people.

Overmind5000

DGIV Areonautics expert
Reaction score
Well, You would need do contact both Pixar and Disney. Disney, you could just go to Disney world or Pixar studios

Apollo 11

Reaction score
No, No, No. If the intent is not to make a profit copyright DOES NOT apply. I believe this issue should be passed up and we focus on the real meaning of this thread, which is ships from wall-e.

spcefrk

AeroEng
Donator
Reaction score
Video game mods fall under this all time. If you make your own 3d model from scratch and publish it for free, you're not infringing on anyone's copyright.

Xantcha

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Oh.. loved the movie... reenacting probe mission in orbiter could be fun. Also - can anyone guesstimate where to put Axiom for such mission?
f course the model is rather complex so may be this will be never realised

2 ar81> Should I contact RKA if I will plan to make "soyuz with vc" addon? Just in case RKA will intend to make profit with a similar idea. ;)

pete.dakota

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I loved Wall-E. I thought the ship design and modelling was superb. Anyone capable of creating ships for Orbiter with any where close the same level of beauty and intricacy would be held in very high respect. They really are beautiful.

did we not just SAY let it go?

Are you the collective rule here? He had a point and every right to make it- regardless of what has been said prior. Don't snap at people for making free comment.

Pilot7893

Epik spaec mishun!
Reaction score
Sorry. BTW, there's one thing I don't get. They had Gravity presumably to keep the people in shape. But what's the point if they're just floating around on armchairs?

Last edited:

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
I have known game mods to get shut down by studios, it does happen but very rarely. I remember a stargate mod for - something, can't remember now - but it was shut down by MGM who sent the mod creators a cease and desist. Exactly how lawful this was i have no idea, i think they probably felt that a freeware item based on their intellectual property would infringe on their profits from any video game related merchandise they might want to make in the future.

So you could ask a studio / production company in advance, is this ok...? I think they're bound to say NO.

if you do it without asking, chances are it'll go under their radar, esp something for a small community like orbiter. And if you're caught, i *expect* the worst you'll get is a cease and desist. but i'm no lawyer and i'm not sure about this.

Also don't forget that Wall-e is right in the middle of a MASSIVE merchandising effort right now, including video games for pretty much every current format... so they'll be all the keener to protect their IP. So you're not likely to be thrown in jail, or have to pay a fine as you won't making money from it and you might get away with it totally... but there is a very good chance that you'd have the representatives from the studios threatening you with legal action if they heard about it.

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Video game mods fall under this all time. If you make your own 3d model from scratch and publish it for free, you're not infringing on anyone's copyright.
...unless you use copyrighted material (designs or brands) from another franchise that does not belong to the authors of the game.

Pilot7893

Epik spaec mishun!
Reaction score
Oh.. loved the movie... reenacting probe mission in orbiter could be fun. Also - can anyone guesstimate where to put Axiom for such mission?
I agree, also, you could just put it in Earth orbit to make the reundevous easier for the average Orbiteer