Updates SpaceX Falcon 9 F5 CRS SpX-2 through CRS SpX-12 Updates

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Just calculated some numbers in Excel to be sure:

Would the IDA have dropped a distance of 1.8 meters at 5g, this would be equal to it dropped from 4.5 meters at normal gravity. With 500 kg mass, quite an impact.

I think even a 0.5m fall would generate forces in the range of tons. But even if the force was low, if it "landed" with a small area, that could be enough to puncture the dome.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
But say if it was the second stage engine chilldown prior to its ignition that was the cause.

Highly doubtful. I don't have the blue prints or schematics of a Merlin engine to perform any competent analysis, but I doubt that SpaceX uses a large diameter line to perform chill-down.

The plume was caused by multiple tons of liquid oxygen getting released and vaporized in a few milliseconds. Such a chill-down line on the other hand, is usually only large enough to vent a few kg per second, would it rupture completely.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Highly doubtful. I don't have the blue prints or schematics of a Merlin engine to perform any competent analysis, but I doubt that SpaceX uses a large diameter line to perform chill-down.

The plume was caused by multiple tons of liquid oxygen getting released and vaporized in a few milliseconds. Such a chill-down line on the other hand, is usually only large enough to vent a few kg per second, would it rupture completely.

It would make sense, have a look at this screengrab:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/axvt9kj9x1r4q33/space-x-fail.PNG?dl=0

The first stage can be seen still firing. What ever happened didn't happen to the first stage but further up the length of the rocket.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I think even a 0.5m fall would generate forces in the range of tons. But even if the force was low, if it "landed" with a small area, that could be enough to puncture the dome.

Depends on how flexible the tank dome is, and how resistant to piercing forces.

On the top of the tank dome, there are also many valves and pipes usually, which could also get damaged, usually before the tank has any chance to fail itself.

But if SpaceX used bubble tanks (like Atlas or Centaur), any sudden loss of pressurization could also lead to tank failure.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It would make sense, have a look at this screengrab:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/axvt9kj9x1r4q33/space-x-fail.PNG?dl=0

The first stage can be seen still firing. What ever happened didn't happen to the first stage but further up the length of the rocket.

Yes, but that amount of oxygen in the cloud means that up to multiple tons per second left the tank - you would need a large pipe to transmit that much. The cloud is similar to the cloud that formed during STS-51L (and it was at similar altitude).

Also, the large tumbling object in the cloud could a short time later could also speak for a massive structural failure at the second stage tank.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Maybe a drogue chute bringing a part of the capsule down.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I think it is part of the capsule, the break up starts at 2:50

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
There's some glinting in the 2º stage prior to "the event"... not sure if was an frost/ice reflection or something venting already.

I see nothing unusual at the second stage until the very onset of the event. But when I simulated an object breaking off the rocket at constant acceleration with my mouse cursor, the cursor arrived nearly spot on to the tumbling object in the cloud and follows it.

I am sure, a much better analysis of the video in reverse would show the object having its temporal origin in the event of the first cloud around the second stage.

dave1705

Reaction score
It's very possible, that's Dragon.(or hope so)
l0x8yjK.gif

MattBaker

Reaction score
ISS Consumable Status from April:

index.php

Since SpX-6 didn't happen now only the left columns are relevant.

Looks like KTO (waste containers) and food are the most limited. A Progress is scheduled for July 3rd and the Japanese Kounotori 5 is scheduled for mid-August.

This will definitely mean the next crew isn't going up for a while and an unmanned ISS for the first time in over 14 years seems possible, ironically right during the time of a year-long mission...

Let's all hope the Progress return to flight next week is going smoothly.:hailprobe:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Elon Musk ‏@elonmusk said:
There was an overpressure event in the upper stage liquid oxygen tank. Data suggests counterintuitive cause.

So, we are right to poke at the second stage LOX tank.

:ninja: by DaveS

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
ISS Consumable Status from April:

index.php

Since SpX-6 didn't happen now only the left columns are relevant.

Looks like KTO (waste containers) and food are the most limited. A Progress is scheduled for July 3rd and the Japanese Kounotori 5 is scheduled for mid-August.

This will definitely mean the next crew isn't going up for a while and an unmanned ISS for the first time in over 14 years seems possible, ironically right during the time of a year-long mission...

Let's all hope the Progress return to flight next week is going smoothly.:hailprobe:
SPX-6 did happen. This was SPX-7.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I see nothing unusual at the second stage until the very onset of the event. But when I simulated an object breaking off the rocket at constant acceleration with my mouse cursor, the cursor arrived nearly spot on to the tumbling object in the cloud and follows it.

I am sure, a much better analysis of the video in reverse would show the object having its temporal origin in the event of the first cloud around the second stage.

It really looks like some venting (not a lot) at the bottom of the 2º stage. It makes sense it's (more) visible from the Playalinda Beach DOAMS (the "north view") than from the Patrick AFB DOAMS (the "south view") due to backlighting.
Something in the 2º stage pre-start could have caused a rupture of a pipe, and the tank venting caused it to loose structural integrity and the rest we know.

Bah: now it looks like it was too much pressure instead of not enough pressure.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It really looks like some venting (not a lot) at the bottom of the 2º stage. It makes sense it's (more) visible from the Playalinda Beach DOAMS (the "north view") than from the Patrick AFB DOAMS (the "south view") due to backlighting.
Something in the 2º stage pre-start could have caused a rupture of a pipe, and the tank venting caused it to loose structural integrity and the rest we know.

You are right, there is a very tiny glow about 8 second before the anomaly, that intensifies during the final 1.5 seconds.

Its not much, just enough to reflect some sunlight on the shaded side of the second stage - but at that optical quality, it could also be caused by an antenna (or anything else protruding).