Not open for further replies.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Is their a utility or spreadsheet that I've missed someone that helps to calculate NC1, NC2, etc. burns to perform a rendezvous? Or is it simply a paper, pencil and prayer-type of thing at the moment?

The latter might be more helpful. You can use IMFD for planning rendezvous burns of course. We have no method right now to provide executive packages and PADs to the player.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The latter might be more helpful. You can use IMFD for planning rendezvous burns of course. We have no method right now to provide executive packages and PADs to the player.
Well, we did have a rudimentary comm system implemented a long time ago. It still exists, it's just the activation key (Tab) that has been commented out. The actual working code is in CommModeHandler.cpp/.h.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, we did have a rudimentary comm system implemented a long time ago. It still exists, it's just the activation key (Tab) that has been commented out. The actual working code is in CommModeHandler.cpp/.h.

I know. I had started it for that purpose, but did not find much time giving it more life.

My idea would be using a combination... the commModeHandler for audio messages (presented in text form) and a simulated printer for executive packages (which would work best with the graphic clients compared to using windows dialogues).

BUT:

I have no idea, how executive packages look like after being printed by the crew.

I have no idea how to best present the PADs after being filled out, though I am sure, that we need them for assisting the player.

kerlix

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I know. I had started it for that purpose, but did not find much time giving it more life................

............I have no idea how to best present the PADs after being filled out, though I am sure, that we need them for assisting the player.

I know I'm just a random person and have no influence on the direction of the product, but I do think having some form of PAD loads/maneuver calculation/assistance/whatever you want to call it would greatly enhance the playability and realism of SSU.

I understand that SSU is meant to be a very realistic interpretation of the Shuttle Program. But unfortunately people such as myself aren't as knowledgeable as the dev team when it comes to calculating manuevers. And IMO removing dependency on 3rd party addons such as IMFD or TransX would actually enhance the immersion factor with SSU.

I'm sorry if I'm crossing the line in saying so. Even though I don't know a single thing about coding, I can appreciate the massive amount of complexity and work that would go into making things like this possible, not to mention the coordination between devs with real life obligations that span all over the globe.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I understand that SSU is meant to be a very realistic interpretation of the Shuttle Program. But unfortunately people such as myself aren't as knowledgeable as the dev team when it comes to calculating manuevers. And IMO removing dependency on 3rd party addons such as IMFD or TransX would actually enhance the immersion factor with SSU.

Very realistic does not mean: Much harder to fly than for real astronauts. :rofl:

We will always have to do some trade-offs between immersion and our available development time, so please have some patience with us. We do our best. :cheers:

kerlix

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Very realistic does not mean: Much harder to fly than for real astronauts. :rofl:

We will always have to do some trade-offs between immersion and our available development time, so please have some patience with us. We do our best. :cheers:

Haha you guys are already doing amazing. No complaints from me. I'm just grateful to all of you for producing such a high quality addon. Do what you need to do in a way that best works for you. I just thought I'd add my 2 cents, but it's obvious (as its always been) that all the devs have a good handle on the project.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Haha you guys are already doing amazing. No complaints from me. I'm just grateful to all of you for producing such a high quality addon. Do what you need to do in a way that best works for you. I just thought I'd add my 2 cents, but it's obvious (as its always been) that all the devs have a good handle on the project.

Some of us Devs don't know as much as you think.:blush:

kerlix

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Haha. I was thinking about how I wish I knew how to code. I had an idea for importing the checklists into a notepad-like MFD that could be brought up through the F4 menu. Or some other sort of popup reference. Things like prelaunch/launch would generally (I think) be the same so it would only require a lot of work typing it in once. Then just alter the different OMS 1/2 parameters for each mission, along with mission-specific goals, depending on the data from the individual FDF's and related mission purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 07:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 PM ----------

Then again, I'm sure someone involved has a much better, "evolved" idea to do things like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added 08-20-15 at 01:25 PM ---------- Previous post was 08-19-15 at 07:54 PM ----------

Well, it's me again. Sorry.

I was just wondering if there was a list somewhere of what is currently implemented and what isn't. I remember seeing something about Post-Insertion stuff not being implemented yet. I've also noticed random things while going through the prelaunch C/L such as connecting the ESS busses to the FC's, the cabin vent test (switches don't seem to work), flash evap heaters, etc. I saw there is a thread listing what is under development and such, but it appears to be out-dated.

At this point, is it possible to fly a complete mission under the "Historical Missions" folder? I understand that payloads have not been added yet and is most likely something that will come with the next major release.

Also, would it be a wise decision to replace the stock ISS (ProjectAlphaISS) with the ISS AtoZ addon? The stock ISS is fine. I just like the visuals of the AtoZ ISS but can always live without it.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
At this point, is it possible to fly a complete mission under the "Historical Missions" folder? I understand that payloads have not been added yet and is most likely something that will come with the next major release.

Not without a lot of freeclimbing. Many subsystems are not implemented and many switches for that subsystem (since often panels are directly mapped to subsystems) are not reacting.

We have no mission control center doing the support work for you (yet).

You can fly a full mission, from launch to landing. But you can't do it all what happens in between.

I can't really say what will all go into the next major release, since we are still deciding about what has to go there. What is consensus right now, is that a mission editor will come, that will generate scenario files and which will eventually also provide the necessary information for letting a mission control simulation assist you.

kerlix

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks, Urwumpe. You and other members been very helpful and patient with me these past few days and I really appreciate it.

As for the future plans you mentioned, those sound great. For now, I think I'll just try to master prelaunch/launch/insertion and a rendezvous with the ISS. That should keep me busy for quite some time.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
To all the SSU Devs: thank you guys for this pre-release: I haven't had much time yet to test it but I will ASAP. I really wish I could help but I have no clue at all about coding... You guys made an enormous work and put a lot of effort in this challange. You can be proud of your "bird"!
Keep up the good work :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.