SSU Development Thread (2.0 to 3.0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zach121k

Reaction score
Hi there!
I did a quick check of the code and a few tests and found that while in focus to "vessel 1", one can't hear the sounds produced by "vessel 2" :(. So, although the long-throw igniter sound would be a very good addition, because it would be produced in the MLP it would not be audible when in focus to the shuttle. This seems to be a OrbiterSound limitation.

I was thinking maybe we could have it on vessel 1 (shuttle) at a time till launch -9 or something (I don't have the code in front of me as I'm typing this) but in the same line of code that the SSME ignition sound could play in that if statement.
Another problem that I'm having that more than half of the scenarios do not run especially the ones that are save states

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I am not sure, if you can even hear that in the Shuttle cockpit... maybe DaveS knows.

I know that the SSMEs are almost inaudible after the deathening noise of the SRBs.

Zach121k

Reaction score
I am not sure, if you can even hear that in the Shuttle cockpit... maybe DaveS knows.

I know that the SSMEs are almost inaudible after the deathening noise of the SRBs.

I was mainly talking about an external view.. this would only play till the shuttle engines ignite

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
This is correct. The HBOIs are very quiet compared to the deafening sounds of the Sound Suppression Water System (SSWS) flowing at max rate. Also you are quite the distance away from them (approx 36 m) as well in a rather well insulated compartment (the crew module of the orbiter). Add the insulating qualities of the ACES and you're not going to hear a thing from them.

---------- Post added at 06:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 PM ----------

I was mainly talking about an external view.. this would only play till the shuttle engines ignite
Actually they burn until to T0. They're essentially solids so they'll burn until there's nothing left to burn which is at about T0 (so they last about 10 seconds).

Zach121k

Reaction score
This is correct. The HBOIs are very quiet compared to the deafening sounds of the Sound Suppression Water System (SSWS) flowing at max rate. Also you are quite the distance away from them (approx 36 m) as well in a rather well insulated compartment (the crew module of the orbiter). Add the insulating qualities of the ACES and you're not going to hear a thing from them.

---------- Post added at 06:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 PM ----------

Actually they burn until to T0. They're essentially solids so they'll burn until there's nothing left to burn which is at about T0 (so they last about 10 seconds).

I know, but you wouldn't be able to hear them after the engines ignite.

The main reason I want this is because it seems dull without that punch of the burners.

(Still Trying to figure out how to get a countdown in the launch test scenario)

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
GLS: Could you post a working scenario that has the MPS GOX vents off? I can't for the life of me figure that one out. I know you added GOXVENTSOFF, but how should I add it to a scenario? An example would be nice.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
GLS: Could you post a working scenario that has the MPS GOX vents off? I can't for the life of me figure that one out. I know you added GOXVENTSOFF, but how should I add it to a scenario? An example would be nice.

Just add "GOXVENTSOFF" to the scenario block of the shuttle, like this:
Code:
  MET 0.000
  GEAR 0 0.0000
  OPS 101
  PLBD_CAM 0 -90.00000 -0.0 90.0000 0.0000 -90.0000 0.000 90.0000
[COLOR="Red"][B]  GOXVENTSOFF[/B][/COLOR]
@SUBSYSTEM HeEng_C
  PRESS 4100
  VALVES 1 1 0 0
@ENDSUBSYSTEM		;HeEng_C
@SUBSYSTEM HeEng_L
Just tested again and it works.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Just add "GOXVENTSOFF" to the scenario block of the shuttle, like this:
Code:
  MET 0.000
  GEAR 0 0.0000
  OPS 101
  PLBD_CAM 0 -90.00000 -0.0 90.0000 0.0000 -90.0000 0.000 90.0000
[COLOR=Red][B]  GOXVENTSOFF[/B][/COLOR]
@SUBSYSTEM HeEng_C
  PRESS 4100
  VALVES 1 1 0 0
@ENDSUBSYSTEM        ;HeEng_C
@SUBSYSTEM HeEng_L
Just tested again and it works.
Thanks and it works great. I must have placed it in the wrong place as I did try it like that and it had no effect.

On another note: I have checked in a full set of meshes+textures for the post-51L RSRMs. It would be nice if someone could make them available for use. The offsets should be same as the OFT versions.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Thanks and it works great. I must have placed it in the wrong place as I did try it like that and it had no effect.

On another note: I have checked in a full set of meshes+textures for the post-51L RSRMs. It would be nice if someone could make them available for use. The offsets should be same as the OFT versions.

OK, I have a couple of "light" days ahead so I can probably put that into service.

While you're here DaveS, can you check the left ARCS texture? There's something wrong with that texture and/or reflection because during launch it gets a green/yellow tint (mostly on the botton side), and the one on the right looks good. This happens on both the default and the D3D9 graphics clients.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
OK, I have a couple of "light" days ahead so I can probably put that into service.

While you're here DaveS, can you check the left ARCS texture? There's something wrong with that texture and/or reflection because during launch it gets a green/yellow tint (mostly on the botton side), and the one on the right looks good. This happens on both the default and the D3D9 graphics clients.
Yes, I just noticed this as well. I'll investigate it and see what the problem is.

---------- Post added at 06:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 PM ----------

After some investigating into the LARCS texture issue reported by GLS, I have found that it only occurs when the vehicle is in pre-launch config. As soon as lift-off happens, the issue clears itself and never re-appears. This is why it doesn't show up on orbit.

I have no idea why this happens.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Yes, I just noticed this as well. I'll investigate it and see what the problem is.

---------- Post added at 06:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 PM ----------

After some investigating into the LARCS texture issue reported by GLS, I have found that it only occurs when the vehicle is in pre-launch config. As soon as lift-off happens, the issue clears itself and never re-appears. This is why it doesn't show up on orbit.

I have no idea why this happens.

Actually I noticed this during the launch.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Actually I noticed this during the launch.
For me it goes away at lift-off. I'm not sure what's going on but it isn't a mesh or texture issue so I can't do anything about it.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
In a night launch (STS-126) using the default graphics there's a green tint until SRB SEP and then it just looks black/dark. Using D3D9 it looks OK during first stage, but then it also goes black.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
For me it goes away at lift-off. I'm not sure what's going on but it isn't a mesh or texture issue so I can't do anything about it.
I have to retract this statement. Turns out that this issue with the left aft RCS pod was a simple material ID assignment mistake. This has now been corrected and the updated orbiter mesh has been checked in.

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 PM ----------

In a night launch (STS-126) using the default graphics there's a green tint until SRB SEP and then it just looks black/dark. Using D3D9 it looks OK during first stage, but then it also goes black.
Could you post a screenshot of this? I can't see anything wrong.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I have to retract this statement. Turns out that this issue with the left aft RCS pod was a simple material ID assignment mistake. This has now been corrected and the updated orbiter mesh has been checked in.

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 PM ----------

Could you post a screenshot of this? I can't see anything wrong.

Looks to be fixed here, both sides look equal and "normal".
One thing I noticed when I was looking at the OMS pods from all angles is that the radiators intersect with the RMS and OBSS... I don't think it's super urgent to fix it for this release, but still it should be looked at in the future.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Looks to be fixed here, both sides look equal and "normal".
One thing I noticed when I was looking at the OMS pods from all angles is that the radiators intersect with the RMS and OBSS... I don't think it's super urgent to fix it for this release, but still it should be looked at in the future.
This has now been fixed. The problem was they were located too far outboard. I modified the offsets and now there's no issues.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
So I managed to get the RSRMs working now, but even though it looks strangely cool...
rsrm.PNG
... that's just not right.:lol:
BTW: we have a chance now to have separate empty masses, max propellant and thrust definitions for the SRM and RSRM... so if anyone has them it would help.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
So I managed to get the RSRMs working now, but even though it looks strangely cool...
View attachment 13631
... that's just not right.:lol:
BTW: we have a chance now to have separate empty masses, max propellant and thrust definitions for the SRM and RSRM... so if anyone has them it would help.
Just use ShipEdit or a similar tool to rotate the meshes 90°s around the X axis. I forgot to disable the rotate mesh -90° around X option before I exported them.

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 PM ----------

Correctly rotated meshes have now been checked in.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Just use ShipEdit or a similar tool to rotate the meshes 90°s around the X axis. I forgot to disable the rotate mesh -90° around X option before I exported them.

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 PM ----------

Correctly rotated meshes have now been checked in.

So why did you tell me to do it? :( I even added the texture paths at the bottom of all those mesh files as they where deleted by shipedit... 30mins down the drain :facepalm:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
So why did you tell me to do it? :( I even added the texture paths at the bottom of all those mesh files as they where deleted by shipedit... 30mins down the drain :facepalm:
I did not know if you needed the rotated meshes immediately or could wait a bit.

Do what I did, get the latest Orbiter beta and use its ShipEdit. It has that particular bug fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.