Stereoscopic space-images thread

JEL

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jelstudio.dk
This is meant to be a thread with stereoscopic space-related photos (surface photos, photos of vehicles, photos of people, places, etc)

Only stereo-photos (or stereo-videos if you can find any) in this thread please.

Anaglyph glasses required.

I'll start of with one from Mars taken by the rover Opportunity:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9301998@N08/4310631675/in/set-72157622867346490/

And this beauty, a shot from the lunar surface with Apollo 12 astronaut Pete Conrad standing near the southern rim of Surveyor Crater during a moonwalk on Nov. 19, 1969:

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/090626-coslog-anaglyph-large-2p.jpg

090626-coslog-anaglyph-large-2p.jpg

Watching space with both eyes is double the fun :)

I'm creating this topic-thread because I've noticed several people expressing interest in Orbiter in stereo-view, and thought it would be fun to see some actual scenery in stereo-view.

guitarist473

The UMMU that can play guitar
Reaction score
This site has a large selection of stereo space photograhy,
I dont own a pair of 3d glasses myself so i cant check them out but i thought you guys might benefit.

Tell me what their like. ;)

[link removed due to malicious site activity warnings]

Last edited by a moderator:

JEL

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jelstudio.dk
This site has a large selection of stereo space photograhy,
I dont own a pair of 3d glasses myself so i cant check them out but i thought you guys might benefit.

Thanks a lot :) There are some amazing shots there. Very interesting.

This one doesn't require glasses, but eye-crossing:
[IMG]http://www.tridi.be/AS11-04B.jpg[/IMG] [highlight](direct link removed due to malware warning)[/highlight]

Tell me what their like.

I love them.

I was somewhat surprised to see how low the LM main-rocket nozzle seems to be placed. It appears to sit very close to the ground when the LM is parked on the surface. Close enough that a relatively large rock or maybe even a sharp ridge from un-even terrain could have come in the way of it. The stereo-images really bring such details out much clearer than the usual flat 2-D images I think. My immediate thought when watching them was that they give a much better sensation, or perhaps understanding, of the image-information in them.

Also, one of the images appears to show the CM above the surface, but appears to be taken from an altitude above the CM (which does puzzle me a bit). But a thing I noticed in that photo is how the distance-perception is so different when there's no atmospheric haze. That's an amazing photo in stereo :)
[IMG]http://www.tridi.be/AS17-01.jpg[/IMG] [highlight](direct link removed due to malware warning)[/highlight]

Many of the other lunar-photos also are very interesting, such as the surface-features on some of them (the huge ridge on apollo15 for example, weird thing), and even the rover closeups. Great stuff.

Thanks again. Very cool link :)

Messierhunter

Reaction score
I have some cross-eye stereograms of various solar system objects:
Jupiter:
Jupiter3Dflipped.jpg

Moon:
2574188978_9d22f3a708_z.jpg

Saturn:
satrun3d2.jpg

I need to update some of these as I can probably get better results now with my current camera system.

Turbinator

Reaction score
I love those two two anaglyph ones. They are jaw dropping.
The corss-eyes ones not so much.

The one is one of my favourites:
2688527351_94531b9d61_o.png

Here is a huge collection of all sorts of space related anaglyph pictures, some of them are 3D renders and others jaw dropping modern pictures straight from the Moon and Mars

Last edited:

jedimaster1214

CDR-LMP-CMP
Reaction score
The one in my sig & avatar is pretty good too.
PV-ApAn3DMoon-A12.jpg

It truly has that nice, spherical effect...

FordPrefect

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks a lot :) There are some amazing shots there.

Also, one of the images appears to show the CM above the surface, but appears to be taken from an altitude above the CM (which does puzzle me a bit). But a thing I noticed in that photo is how the distance-perception is so different when there's no atmospheric haze. That's an amazing photo in stereo :)
[IMG]http://www.tridi.be/AS17-01.jpg[/IMG] [highlight](direct link removed due to malware warning)[/highlight]

Yep, agreed, indeed some great images there!

@JEL: That photos were taken by Cdr. Gene Cernan from the LM Challenger, just one revolution prior the landing. Undocking of the LM and CSM happened only less than a quarter orbit earlier (~30 min.). During the undocking phase, the LM was positioned "above"(relative to the local vertical) the CSM, so the CM Pilot (here Ron Evans) could observe and visually inspect the LEM against the black sky (with the LM lit up by the still bright indirect light that was reflected off the lunar surface from below). This way, observation was much easier than looking against the bright lunar surface).
Both spacecraft were only slowly drifting away from each other, thus, both spacecraft passed above the landing site in close proximity to each other. As you know by playing Orbiter, since both spacecraft did not alter their orbits significantly* until passing over the Taurus-Littrow valley, both maintained their relative inertial attitude to each other. So: at less than a quarter of an orbit the CSM (at undocking) was straight below the LM, now when the photo was taken above the planned landing site, the swung around the moon about 70° in longitude, thus placing the CSM "forward and slightly below the" velocity vector" as seen from the LM.
Does that make sense? LOL.

*The CSM did a circulization burn half an orbit later after passing over the Taurus-Littrow valley, above the far side.

Apollo 17 is one of my favourite Apollo missions. I also played with creating anaglyphs from Apollo stereos. I created the one below with two photos taken after EVA 3 from the Cdr. and LM Pilot windows, in order to get a better understanding of the undulating terrain in close proximity of the landing site. So this one shows the surface as if you would look through the eyes (windows) of the LM itself, with the same huge depth perception (caused by the much greater distance between the windows than with human eyes).

A17_ls_LMwindow_anaglyph.jpg

Last edited:

JEL

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jelstudio.dk
@Turbinator; good one :)

@FordPrefect; yes, thanks for the explanation :) . I have seen other photos before with the CM just below the LM, but none like this one where it seems so far below it. Looking at it closer it becomes obvious that they're not really that far apart from each other, because you can still make out the details of the CM fairly clearly which would probably not be possible if they were more than 1 or 2 thousand feet apart. Considering they are several kilometer above the ground I guess it's the missing haze that makes it seem as if the CM is almost halfway down. Seems like it's true that measuring distance by eye alone is not very accurate in space :) That objects appear closer than they are.

Great image you have there of the surface. How close would you estimate the mountains in the background are to the landing site? Judging distance is really tough :) All the more reason to admire the accomplishments of those who operate in space :)

FordPrefect

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Considering they are several kilometer above the ground I guess it's the missing haze that makes it seem as if the CM is almost halfway down. Seems like it's true that measuring distance by eye alone is not very accurate in space :) That objects appear closer than they are.

At the time the photos were taken, both spacecraft were about 26 kilometers or 14 nautical miles or 85,000 ft above the surface, with a horizontal velocity of 1.6 km/s or 5,350 ft/s! So the distance to the ground against the distance "down" to the CSM was way higher (as you suggested).

Great image you have there of the surface. How close would you estimate the mountains in the background are to the landing site?

The peak of the mountain right of the center is 26 (!) kilometers from the landing site. It is called West Massif, but also (falsly) referred to as the "Family Mountain". However, Family Mountain was actually a hill much closer to the landing site (14 kilometer distance) which would be seen further to the right (north), it is outside of the image frame though.
The slopes on the left belong to the South Massif, about 8 to 11 kilometers from the landing site.

JEL

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jelstudio.dk
Thanks a lot. Those numbers make it easier to appreciate just how big these mountains and surface-features really are :) How little of the moon we have actually visited up close.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
'Santa Maria' Crater in 360-Degree View, Sol 2451 (Stereo)

A football-field-size crater, informally named "Santa Maria," dominates the scene in this 360-degree, stereo view from NASA's Mars Exploration Rover Opportunity.

Following a 25-meter (82-foot) drive on the 2,451st Martian day, or sol, of the rover's work on Mars (Dec. 16, 2010), Opportunity used its navigation camera to take the frames combined into this mosaic.

Click on the image (and not on the resize bar),
or on the hyperlinked description, to view it in its full size
(7753px × 2243px - 1.37 MB JPEG)

South is at the center. North is at both ends.
The view is presented as a cylindrical-perspective projection.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Anaglyph stereo image of Phobos from Mars Express flyby
(Click here or on the image to view its larger version - 3777px × 2592px)

The HRSC-camera recorded images of Phobos on 9 January 2011 at a distance of 100 km with a resolution of 8.1 m/pixel. Due to the stereo viewing geometry during the flyby a small part of the moon’s edge is only visible for the right eye resulting in odd 3D-perception in this area. This part has been slightly adjusted for better viewing. Also, for the left eye at the left edge of the image four small data gaps have been interpolated.

Credits: ESA/DLR/FU Berlin (G. Neukum)​

JEL

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jelstudio.dk
Really great image :D

At pixel 1838x1465 (for the cyan color) there's a small peak of some kind. It's about 5 pixels wide, so I guess about 40 meters. It's height is hard to estimate, but to me it seems atleast 20 meters high (judging by just the white part and not the shadow). Ice? Rock?

It's not the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phobos_monolith"]Phobos monolith[/ame], but it may be something similar. Fascinating, especially when you consider how soft-edged all the craters appear (they appear 'weathered', as if wind had eroded them somewhat) and that the wiki says the surface might be a 100 meter thick layer of fine-grained regolith, that there then is such a peak standing :)

There's also a smaller peak at pixel 2086x1274 (again for the cyan color), which stands at the side of a small crater. That one looks very similar to the so-called ejecta that comes after an impact.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
LROC: 3D Moon!

3d_low_sun_mosaic_thumb.png

3D anaglyph of the low-Sun LROC WAC 643 nm mosaic of the lunar nearside [NASA/GSFC/Arizona State University].

3d_global_mosaic.8bit.png

3D anaglyph of LROC WAC 643 nm Global Morphologic Mosaic of the lunar nearside [NASA/GSFC/Arizona State University].

3d_normalized_mosaic.8bit.png

3D anaglyph of the LROC WAC 643 nm normalized reflectance map of the lunar nearside [NASA/GSFC/Arizona State University].​

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Universe Today: Skim Across Mars In Virtual Reality With These New Orbital Images

ESP_033363_2225_ESP_033653_2225_RED.thumb.png

A crater imaged by the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter’s HiRISE (High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment). Credit: NASA/JPL/University of Arizona

ESP_033216_1990_ESP_032794_1990_RED.thumb.png

“Candidate Future Landing Site at Valley North of Jezero Crater”, imaged by the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter’s HiRISE (High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment). Credit: NASA/JPL/University of Arizona

ESP_028400_1955_ESP_033371_1955_RED.thumb.png

“Fossae Source of Outflows,” a picture taken by Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter’s HiRISE (High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment). Credit: NASA/JPL/University of Arizona

ESP_033274_1725_ESP_033419_1725_RED.thumb.png

“Floor of East Candor Chasma,” a picture taken by the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter’s HiRISE (High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment). Credit: NASA/JPL/University of Arizona

ESP_033684_1725_ESP_033262_1725_RED.thumb.png

“Knobs with bright layers in Noctis Labyrinthus”, a picture taken by the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter’s HiRISE (High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment). Credit: NASA/JPL/University of Arizona​