Question Strange Trajecotries in IMFD 5.1g

blane

Deep Space Operator
Reaction score
I hope this is the right Forum.

I was loading my scenario from yesterday. Situation: Deepstar just finished the TMI burn and just left Earth SOI. Now all the sudden I get strange trajectories on my IMFD Map display:

___uhm.jpg

These highly eccentric trajectories around the sun jump all around too on TC 1000x or faster. Sometimes they disappear just to re-appear shortly after. Apart from that everything seems fine, my Intercept course seems to be all correct.

Anyone knows what this is?

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
I've encountered this before, I think its to do with the way some moons orbits are calculated. Do they center on Jupiter?

blane

Deep Space Operator
Reaction score
I've encountered this before, I think its to do with the way some moons orbits are calculated. Do they center on Jupiter?

Yes indeed, I just noticed they intersect with Jupiter at the same location:

http://imagebin.org/186384

Does this mean three Jupiter moons have gone frenzy? :/

Last edited:

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
No it just means IMFD is getting confused.

blane

Deep Space Operator
Reaction score
Ah okay, so next reboot of IMFD should be sane again then. Will continue and monitor the situation ;) Thanks.

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
That looks strange... Looks like that moons decided to be comets :lol:. Do you have any planet or moon add-ons (like Outer Planets) installed? I'm unable to reproduce it.

blane

Deep Space Operator
Reaction score
I have Pluto+Charon add-on but that's not it: The outer planet orbits still show intact on IMFD.

As Evil_Onyx said: It's a glitch in IMFD display. Apparently the rogue orbits are supposed to be Jupiter moons but their trajectory is just being calculated wrong by IMFD Map. This doesn't always happen, never had that before. So I am not sure what you need to do to reproduce.

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Hi blane,

If you are using Orbiter2010, try downloading and installing the latest version of IMFD(5.5), which you can find here.
If you are on the 2006P1 version, try IMFD 4.2.1 or 5.3b (on the same page).

If the problem persists, please post the scenario here (between CODE tags), so that we can try and replicate the problem.

Hope this helps,
:cheers:

blane

Deep Space Operator
Reaction score
Sorry, I misstated my version in the topic. I actually have IMFD 5.5 (for Orbiter 2010p1).

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Sorry, I misstated my version in the topic. I actually have IMFD 5.5 (for Orbiter 2010p1).

The first thing i recommend, is to try on a clean 2010P1 installation with just IMFD 5.5 installed. If it works, then you know that it's because of one of the other addons you have.
You may also want to always keep a clean installation for situations such as this.
Can you please post the scenario? It would be interesting to see if we get the same results.

blane

Deep Space Operator
Reaction score
Hmm, a rebooted IMFD did not solve the problem:

__mfd.jpg

The scenario file posted here:

http://pastebin.com/bmYVwmcf

FWIW: I just checked in Galactic Map 3D and all four Jupiter moons are still in normal orbit.

Last edited:

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Hmm... :hmm: a scenario 526 lines long...
But that should be no problem - I've recently flown scenarios with more than 1000 lines ( total of 200 ships) -as long as the addons work with each other. Can you tell me which ship's plan we are seeing on the first pic you posted?

Last edited:

blane

Deep Space Operator
Reaction score
In the first screenshot (and the one on imagebin) it was DeepStars transfer plan to Mars.

In the latest picture i already arrived at Mars, switched to a DGIV, planning a re-entry. Just called up Interplanetary Map without setting a course.

And well, the lines are necessary.. as you can see there is some deep space operations going on with several vessels participating :)

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
And well, the lines are necessary.. as you can see there is some deep space operations going on with several vessels participating

Just by intuition, i'd say that the Pluto-Charon addon is causing all this. But that depends on which Pluto-Charon addon you have installed. Try removing it and then go to the scenario and delete any ships that have a Pluto or Charon prefix on their status.

blane

Deep Space Operator
Reaction score
Thanks, I will try this in a bit and post an update. It's nighthwk's Pluto+Charon Addon.

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks, I will try this in a bit and post an update. It's nighthwk's Pluto+Charon Addon.

That's an addon from 2005. Try [ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4595"]Piper's from 2010.[/ame]

blane

Deep Space Operator
Reaction score
Deactivated Pluto+Charon by removing the config files and all references in scenario, but the funny orbits remain the same in IMFD.

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Try going at it, one by one. Clean install-> MFDs -> Deepstar-> Scenario with just the Deepstar and the transfer to Mars.
And then start adding addons and references in the scenario.

blane

Deep Space Operator
Reaction score
Well, it seems to be a simple display bug and it has no further effect (all Jovian moons are in correct orbits, I checked). As long as it has no other ill effect on my scenario I guess I can live with it.

I have quite a few add-ons installed; quite possible that it is some incompatibility.

Tommy

Reaction score
I've seen this more than I can count - even on 2006. Unless you are targeting a Jovian moon it will pose no problem - and if you return to less than 1000x time things will settle back to normal.

I've never bothered to figure out which add-ons are causing the conflict - but I suspect an MFD since I've seen this even with NO add-on planets.