STS-131 updates

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Does that mean, possible demate ?
Yes. Read the article. If a repair is deemed necessary, the scenario would be a roll back/demate/roll back over/demate the OMS pod/send OMS pod back to the HMF/fix the OMS pod at the HMF/reinstall OMS pod in OPF/roll over/mating/roll out/redo all pad procedures/launch.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Let's hope they find a work around.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Ok .. Assuming they have to do a roll-back .. how will this affect upcoming launches such as the one on May 14th ?
Unknown at this time. They'll have meeting today to discuss the problem and troubleshooting options. This problem crept up late Friday evening so this is the first chance for program management to evaluate the various options available.

Payload transfer to the pad has already been delayed from overnight Monday/Tuesday to overnight Tuesday/Wednesday.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
FRR day today! Senior NASA officials will meet at KSC to review the flight readiness of Discovery, ISS and the payloads. The meeting will be tweeted live at NASA's own Twitter feed: http://twitter.com/NASA.

The meeting will be followed by a news conference which will be broadcast live on nASA TV.

---------- Post added at 01:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 AM ----------

The FRR is underway! Updates from the FRR will be posted on NASA's Twitter feed: http://twitter.com/NASA

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

So far a good FRR. So far ISS, SSME, ET, SRB and SE&I have presented at the FRR, all is GO to proceed. Currently the Orbiter Project is presenting and they have the RRCS He Iso valve leak and the ceramic inserts to talk about.

---------- Post added at 07:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 PM ----------

Still talking the RRCS He Iso valve leak. This probably going to take a while to get through.

---------- Post added at 09:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 PM ----------

It's a unanimous GO for launch! April 5 is date!

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
We are now 8 days and 15 hours to STS-131.
Crew to arrive at KSC on Tuesday ahead of launch.
No problems now being worked that are serious with Discovery.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
So far no issues are being worked. Pad A was recently re-opened for controlled work following MPS/OMS/RCS He tank pressurization for flight. On Monday the the two SRB Side Flame Deflectors were moved into place for launch and yesterday the SRB Ignition Overpressure protection water bags were installed into the SRB flame ducts on the MLP.

Flight crew arrival into KSC set for 7 am EDT tomorrow with the launch countdown set to start at 3 am EDT Friday.

Last edited:

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Launch PAO will be Mike Curie (STS-120, STS-127, STS-128) for STS-131

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Whatever happened to George Diller?
They usually rotate the PAOs every so often to let others get some experience. It's the same with MCC PAOs.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Yeah, I like George Diller too. He's an "old school" PAO.
You always get good, factually correct, technically detailed information with him.
Don't worry, you'll get the same from Mike Currie as he's former USA PAO.

---------- Post added at 12:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 AM ----------

The STS-131 crew has arrived at KSC for launch. Touchdown was at 6:48 am EDT.

---------- Post added 04-02-10 at 09:06 AM ---------- Previous post was 04-01-10 at 12:55 PM ----------

Launch countdown is now underway. It began on schedule at 3 am EDT.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Whatever happened to George Diller?

He's around, saw him for STS-129's launch as PAO and STS-125.
I'm willing to bet he will do STS-132.
There was some discussion a long time ago that Hugh Harris was interested in being PAO for STS-133.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
So far so good with Discovery. Coming up on the T-27 hour hold in the countdown. During this 4 hold, final preparations load the cryogenic hydrogen and oxygen into small storage vessels beneath Discovery's payload bay will happen. These cryogens will be used by Discovery's three fuel cells to generate the onboard electricity and the biproduct, water.

Once the hold has been released, the loading of the oxygen will begin which will take about 3 hours to complete. Once the loading of the oxygen has been verified complete and good, loading of the hydrogen will start and this will take about 2 and half hours to complete.

Fun fact about about PRSD loading: The PRSD cryogens doesn't come from the large white storage spheres located at the pad, but from tanker trucks hooked up to a tap-like device at the bottom of the RSS/FSS Hinge Column.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Alright ladies and gentlemen and Pete here she goes tonight! I'm going to get up at 2 a.m so I'll be holding down the fort here for those who want to get some sleep to 5. If anyone wants to be up with me that's great I need company! :D

Some pics provided by NASAspaceflight.com from this morning,

index.php

index.php

index.php

RSS Retract in a little under 30 minutes at around 9:30 a.m EDT. Weather looks great for launch, still 80% go. Its going to be a hot one around my area to boot tonight (or should I say humid? Fog might be an issue), 60s for lows and right now its already in the lower 80s.

Last edited:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The RSS is in motion.

---------- Post added at 03:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 PM ----------

The RSS has now been moved sufficiently to fully expose Dsicovery for launch. Still heading to the PARK position.