Take-off: APU VS noob

Goth

Occasional orbinaut
Donator
Reaction score
I've found the file "Doc\Space Shuttle Ultra\Flight Checklists.doc" and I'm trying to following it starting from STS-107\STS-107 launch scenario.
I admit that I've not gone seriously through the APU part in the SCOM yet but still I expected that following the checklist could get me off the ground.
The problems are as follows.
1) I check the various buttons and when I'm at this point:
√APU AUTO SHUT DOWN-ENABLE
√APU SPEED SELECT (all three)-NORM
I cannot change those buttons; I try to click several times but the simulation doesn't let me change them.
2) Going on following the checklist, after opening the three APU FUEL TK valves, the APU/HYD READY TO START "signs" are not grey; indeed, switching the three APU CONTROL START/RUN buttons fails to start the APU.

Final question, I would like to understand why the MPS ENGINE POWER buttons are yellow and what it means.

Sorry for the noob questions but the manual is currently empty so it's hard to get started :lol:

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Those should not really stop you from starting the APU, I am not sure right now if they had been implemented yet. They are only needed for some emergencies.

The MPS ENGINE POWER switches are for controlling AC power to the main engine controllers, again not sure if they have any effect right now.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The checkmark just means "check that".

APU pre-start is this:
  1. HYD MAIN PUMP PRESS (Three) - LO
  2. APU CNTLR PWR (Three) - ON
  3. APU FU TK VLV (Three) - OPEN

APU Start:
  1. APU OPER (Three) - START/RUN
  2. HYD MAIN PUMP PRESS - NORM when TB barberpole

Goth

Occasional orbinaut
Donator
Reaction score
@Urwumpe
Thanks for the reply but I was editing my first post; if you please can read it again now. Even if those buttons "are not needed" I cannot indeed start the APU anyway (problem number 2).

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
@Urwumpe
Thanks for the reply but I was editing my first post; if you please can read it again now. Even if those buttons "are not needed" I cannot indeed start the APU anyway (problem number 2).

Have you set the hydraulic pump pressure to low?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Have you set the hydraulic pump pressure to low?
Just made run myself and NO-GO on APU pre-start. APUs will not start despite full fuel load and correct APU pre-start procedures.

I would just stay away from launch scenarios as they all seem buggy and broken for one reason or another.

Goth

Occasional orbinaut
Donator
Reaction score

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Yes I know.

They're already set to low in that scenario.

Thanks DaveS, but which scenario should I load then if I want to try a liftoff?
None. As I wrote, launch is NO-GO due to bugs it seems like. For now you'll have to stick to basic orbit ops. For anything else, use Shuttle Fleet.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
None. As I wrote, launch is NO-GO due to bugs it seems like. For now you'll have to stick to basic orbit ops. For anything else, use Shuttle Fleet.

APU start should also not be inhibited by the talkback state, it should be possible to start it despite not being ready.

Goth

Occasional orbinaut
Donator
Reaction score
Ah ok sorry. I thought it was just some bugs in those scenarios themselves.
Ok, got it.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
APU start should also not be inhibited by the talkback state, it should be possible to start it despite not being ready.
I tried over and over several times to start them, no luck. Seems like something is really broken in the code. SSU is in really bad shape.

Goth

Occasional orbinaut
Donator
Reaction score
BTW, you guys didn't answer my other question ^^
I would like to understand why the MPS ENGINE POWER buttons are yellow and what it means.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
BTW, you guys didn't answer my other question ^^
They're yellow to make them stand out as you don't want to flip the wrong switch during ascent and shut down an engine.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I tried over and over several times to start them, no luck. Seems like something is really broken in the code. SSU is in really bad shape.

That's a shame.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Bug with APU start procedures confirmed. Rolling back to revision 1404 sources clears the bug. The bug first shows up in revision 1405.

Goth

Occasional orbinaut
Donator
Reaction score
Just tried myself, and now it works.
Very minor thing: when TB are grey you can still see a bit of the striped texture.

BTW, how do you open other MFDs in the pilot seat?
I'm only able to change them in the standard cockpit view (the default one), but they're linked to the commander's ones only.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
BTW, how do you open other MFDs in the pilot seat?
I'm only able to change them in the standard cockpit view (the default one), but they're linked to the commander's one only.

Keeping the right most MFD button pressed with left mouse button for longer helps there.

Goth

Occasional orbinaut
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks. This works in the commander seat and with the left MFD of the pilot seat.
But it doesn't work with the right MFD of the pilot seat though.
EDIT: now it worked. Let's say that that PG button looks a bit buggy; sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Last edited: