IMFD Targeting and Autoburn with BaseApproach

Smegghed

Reaction score
Hey there.

I've been working for a while on my return trip from the moon, mostly using capsules, but on occasion an XR craft. After leaving the moon, enroute to Earth, I'll switch to Base Approach and target the base I'm looking to land close to. I'll set it for Re-entry and adjust the entry angle, ANT, etc.

However, I've noticed that it's only displaying half of the information on the left side of the MFD than I see on the tutorials. When I switch to Burn Vectors, the target automatically switches to GEO, and there's no burn data, and I can't hit autoburn. If I swith back to the base approach screen, the target goes back to the base of choosing (Cape, Kourou, Wideawake, etc).

I can switch to Orbit-Insert and put myself into an orbit, then deorbit as normal, but i can't seem to even experiment with a direct return. Any ideas as to what I could be doing wrong?

Tommy

Reaction score
Can't say what's wrong off the top of my head. If you haven't seen it yet you can check out the Home Direct tutorial (annotated recording and PDF), a direct re-entry from the moon in a XR-2 using IMFD (AerobrakeMFD optional). That may help you catch what you are missing.

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3660"]Home Direct[/ame]

This tutorial is also included in the new IMFD manual:

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4142"]IMFD Full Manual/Playbacks[/ame]

If this doesn't help, post a screenshot of Base Approach, and one of BV view.

Smegghed

Reaction score
Hmm....while I've read through the IMFD manual and read through the Direct tutorial several times, I only used it as a reference. I loaded up an XR2 and followed the tutorial exactly, and the info and burn was there as needed. I'm wondering if when I'm doing this with the HLV and ESA CTV that I'm setting up my return journey wrong, like the moon is in the wrong position for a direct entry. Is that a possibility? Guess I'll need to go back and do some experimenting.

Thanks for the help!

Tommy

Reaction score
A direct re-entry is always possible, but if you time the arrival wrong you won't be able to land at the base unless you let yourself skip a few times to extend your re-entry. At that point, it's almost a separate aerocapture then reentry.

I suppose it's possible that there is some incompatibility between IMFD and those vessels - I haven't tried it. Worst comes to worst, post a scenario file with IMFD set up (can start after the TEI burn) and I'll check it out this weekend sometime.