OHM Taxiway Building Blocks

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score
Author: periapsisprograde

Taxiway Building Blocks (TBB) is a set of meshes that can be used as taxiway segments. It also includes a PDF in the Doc folder that shows how to use each piece.

Feel free to use these parts in your own addons, but DO NOT include them in your download package. Direct users to this page to download the parts themselves.

DOWNLOAD

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Nice job - I like aspect ratio based naming convention.

I'd move textures & meshes to separate subdirectories though. Easier to maintain / swap textures or uninstall.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Interesting... will try them with OBM. :thumbup:

Just some ideas: use the same system to build fences or trees. They are important and exist in reality for safety reasons.
A similar expansion might include lightning protection towers.
It would be nice to have all those objects on a single add-on.

PeriapsisPrograde

Wannabe addon dev
Reaction score
I'd move textures & meshes to separate subdirectories though. Easier to maintain / swap textures or uninstall.

What do you mean? There are no textures in the download: the pieces all use default textures that come on a clean install.

Now what do you mean by subdirectories?
(please excuse my incompetence)

Just some ideas: use the same system to build fences or trees. They are important and exist in reality for safety reasons.
A similar expansion might include lightning protection towers.
It would be nice to have all those objects on a single add-on.

Good ideas. Maybe I should turn this into Generic Scenery Building Blocks. But for right now I think I'll stick to taxiway parts.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
What do you mean? There are no textures in the download: the pieces all use default textures that come on a clean install.

Now what do you mean by subdirectories?
(please excuse my incompetence)

Main mesh and texture folder gets cluttered with every add-on making files more hard to find if needed. Look at your Meshes folder. There are folders like Atlantis, Deltaglider etc. I'd simply move your mesh files to for example Meshes\Taxiways - if needed to find and fiddle with that it's much easier and easy to uninstall.

csanders

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Interesting... will try them with OBM. :thumbup:

I just tried it, and here's a tip:

When you add a mesh, there will be a "Dimensions" section. The dimensions of the meshes (at least the ones I've used so far) are 1 X 1. This makes manually adjusting the scale pretty easy in a config file, but makes them pretty hard to see in OBM (they're too small to render unless you zoom in on them).

To fix this, change the dimensions to 100X100 before you place them, like so:

OBM_taxiway.png

EDIT: You may also want to uncheck the "Maintain aspect ratio" option there, so you can stretch the width without stretching the height and vice versa.

Last edited:

PeriapsisPrograde

Wannabe addon dev
Reaction score
The dimensions of the meshes (at least the ones I've used so far) are 1 X 1. This makes manually adjusting the scale pretty easy in a config file...

All the square meshes are 1x1. Non-square pieces (like aprons and turns) have edge lengths 1, so you make them the same size as the width of the taxiway to make them fit.

Kendo

Reaction score
Just to confirm one thing, if someone makes a base and part of it is using your set, they must put a link to your mod download. Is this correct?.

Also, are you going to increase this mod with perhaps your own textures, for example plain tarmac, plain concrete etc.? It would be very realistic and very useful.

Last edited:

PeriapsisPrograde

Wannabe addon dev
Reaction score
Just to confirm one thing, if someone makes a base and part of it is using your set, they must put a link to your mod download. Is this correct?
Yes. If you use parts from the set, direct users to download the pieces from my download. Don't just throw them into your own download.

Also, are you going to increase this mod with perhaps your own textures, for example plain tarmac, plain concrete etc.? It would be very realistic and very useful.
I don't think I will do that. First, if others have modified their taxiway textures on their own, it will be reflected by the pieces the way is currently is. Also, textures used in base .cfg's need to be listed in Orbiter/Config/Base.cfg. I want this to be simple to use and not force people to add things to that file.

Marijn

Reaction score
Hi there,
I am having lots of fun with the Taxiway building blocks in Orbiter 2016. It took me a while however to create a spreadsheet which helps to calculate the numbers.

The next step would be to generate text for the mesh objects in one go. I am not sure how to do this yet. Perhaps somebody has already done this?

If I find a solution, I will post it here.