Tell us about yourself!

GXE3

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi, I am Ewan and I'm from the United States

I am a web designer/c++ programmer/orbiter freak/java programmer and I'm glad to be part of orbiter-forum.com. :lol:

gimp1992

Reaction score
Hi my name is Joe I'm from Sudbury Ontario. (Hey Jordax12 Hi neighbour.) I am retiered and a amputee, hence my name Gimp1992, I'm 52 years old have been interested in spacefight since Alan Shepard, have been using Orbiter for so many years now can't remember when I first found it. I am most interested in Apollo so I tend to use AMSO and NASSP alot. Well thats me in a nutshell.

ryan

That guy
Reaction score
My Names Ryan, born in Ireland raised in Australia. I'm 15 years old. I have a girlfriend her name is Gabby. Flying is in my blood, my Grandad flew in WW2 and my uncle worked for NASA between 1964- 1975.
I go to school everyday (cough cough)
I am currently eating an apple, it's very tasty and i play NRL (thats a football game in Australia)

FlyGirl

Reaction score
Website
s209.photobucket.com
Hi guys. My name is Gwen de Lucero. I'm 45 years old and am a 21-year IT professional(computer programming, systems analysis and design) as well as a USAFR veteran (Aeromedical Evacuation on C-130 flight crew). I am happily married to a wonderful guy named Eduardo who is a very talented but sadly out-of-work computer game interface designer. I have been completely enthralled by anything that flies for as long as I can remember. I first first soloed in a Piper Cherokee when I was sixteen and have been flying as much as I could afford it ever since then. Last year I finally realized one of my greatest dreams by finishing construction of my replica WWI fighter (a Fokker D.VIII) and became a test pilot when I took it up for it's first flight. You can see photos and videos of construction and some of my first flights in the D.VIII at the link in my signature line.

I have been heavily into flight simulation pretty much for as long as it has been doable on home computers. Here's a photo of me in the F-16 simulator cockpit I built. All the controls, instruments, lights, and displays actually work and are driven by software I wrote to interface with Falcon 4.0.
2c52.jpg

I clearly remember watching Neil Armstrong walk on the moon when I was six years old and ever since then I wanted to be an astronaut. Orbiter lets me do that and I am completely hooked on it. I think it's just incredible all the amazing things we can do with Orbiter and all the great add-ons available for it. I am now planning to build a fully-enclosed 2-seat Orbiter simulator cockpit. At this point my plan is to base it on the beautiful XR-2 design currently being devloped by Coolhand and Doug Beachy (keep up the great work guys!)

Last edited:

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
:welcome:

Hi everyone, welcome to the forum guys.. and gals! :)

Great to know all of you, it's always cool to hear from others into the same things as you. I hope you all enjoy your time here very much and I look forward to many great topics and discussions about this wonderful sim!

:cheers:

ryan

That guy
Reaction score

Hi everyone, welcome to the forum guys.. and gals! :)

Great to know all of you, it's always cool to hear from others into the same things as you. I hope you all enjoy your time here very much and I look forward to many great topics and discussions about this wonderful sim!

:cheers:

Oribter could sometimes be mistaken for real life not a sim, sometimes it looks so real.

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Julian from Manila, Philippines, I'm 14 years old turning 15 this may 2, I've been playing orbiter for the past 3 years and still i can't get into perfect orbit,the nearest Ecc i get is 236 hmmm, I've been playing FS2004 since it came out, and until now, I'm still stuck with it. I am the current Vice President of Manila Cargo VA, which will be coming out soon. I like the Russian space program and now i'm just waiting for unassappiens N1 rocket which will make my nose bleed.that's me

James.Denholm

Addon ponderer
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm James Denholm (Denim to my mates), I'm 15 (16 on the 21st of June), I've known about Orbiter for about... let me think, 6 months at most. I'm not brilliant at it, currently working through Go Play In Space (finally decided to open the thing), but I might have to put that on hold because I cut my wrists open on Sunday... not deliberately (at least, that's what I told them). I was born in Horsham, Vic, Australia, and moved to Clifton Springs (same state) in Grade 3. I don't have a clue how to program in C, Java and the rest (hopefully not for long) and I like listening to bands such as the Kaiser Chiefs, not that they ever got a cent from me...

But don't tell anyone that.

thomasantony

Reaction score
Website
www.thomasantony.com
Damn, I typed up this WHOLE thing and the power decides to go off, its REALLY frustrating, since my stupid UPS's battery is crap, even after replacing it once. Not again, this time, I am typing in wordpad and saving every 5 seconds or so. But dang, I have kinda forgotten a lot of stuff I wrote.

I'm Thomas, 19 years old, living at Cochin, India ( somewhere around 10°N 76°E ). I am currently in first year at college, pursuing a B.Tech degree ( equivalent of B.E) in Mechanical Engg. I found Orbiter sometime before the 2006p1 version was released. I haven't used it much in a quite some time. I actually dont know what to do in it now. I have tried a couple of Mars trips, a Pluto trip, the DGIV Venus mission, some missions to the ISS, Moon etc.

I like reading thrillers/SF/Fantasy novels and generally most informative things I find on the internet. I was also into programming in a big way sometime ago. I can program in C,C++,Java,PHP etc.

[RANT]
It makes me kinda jealous to see computerex is only 15 and he has already made so many addons and all ( just kidding . ;) ). When I was 15, I was ... let me see ... yea .. messing around trying to make an OS in assembly language. .I think I had too much free time. I had it get into 32-bit mode, made a rudimentary keyboard driver, FDD driver .. and had got until memory management when I got fed up. I later tried using C and ASM and got as far again and stopped.

I started programming when I was around 13-14. the first programming language I learned was ... wait for it .... assembly :D. Of course, the way I found out about it was .. lets say a bit on the gray side ( I used to really like "Crackme" programs :D ) . Assembly is actually quite easy once you try it ( http://www.masmforum.com ). Win32ASM means, writing programs that use the windows API using assembly language. In ASM, 50kB - 100kB of executable code is HUGE. Really, the file sizes are so small and the programs so fast. They are also very easy to debug as the code listing you see in the debugger is mostly what you actually wrote. The assembler I used, MASM, has some high level constructs like IF,ELSE,WHILE etc. implemented using macros, which made it a bit easier I suppose. But it actually helped to understand how Windows programs and all actually work, and how functions ( stack frames), DLLs etc. work, which actually made learning other languages such as C and all a lot easier. The only thing being that C and C++ has so many damn datatypes while in ASM, almost everything is a DWORD .

I have a few ideas for orbiter addons and have been thinking about making them for sometime. I actually got as far as the Surveyor addon as done in the tutorial at Orbiterwiki. I did it last week. .. Well, I guess, any progress is good.
[/RANT]

I also like lugging up my *heavy* 6'' telescope( 17-20kg ) occasionally, through a few narrow corridors and a steep steel staircase to the terrace for some astronomy. I have also tried taking a few pics using my poor Sony Cybershot and have got some good Moon pics and some not-so-bad Saturn pics ( frames from a video actually).

I guess thats all. I hope no one was bored :D

~
Thomas

Last edited:

Poscik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi! My name is Patryk(in english Patrick). I'm living in Warsaw, Poland. I am 17 years old. I'm on first year above high school(in Poland we call that "Liceum", but I don't know how to say it in English ;)). I'm playing Orbiter for a year and I can't imagine one day without flying in orbiter :p I like 3d modelling and programming(php and C++). I very like listening to music(techno and dance).

So, that's all! :)

Tekdino

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm Mike, better known as Tekdino. I hope some people remember me from the old forums. I joined it 2006 and 6‰ of the posts were mine.
I'm a 17 years old finnish underground rapper who has no idea what to do after high school and army service. I've had 2 big active seasons in orbiter and quite long flight pauses between them. I've been quite depressed and busy with some projects and school but if I will start to orbiter again actively it will be my 3rd orbiter season.
--------8<-----
Oh yeah, this is excellent place to advertise our small community, Tekdinorbiter which was serving orbitering people 24/7 when other places had server problems. www.tekdinorbiter.urli.net I will start in-built calendar, picture uploading and flight planner systems when I will get my own server.
Anyway, the advertisement ends here.
-----8<--------
These new forums are huge, I haven't had time to check it out completely so I have no idea who of the members are here. But if someone knows me but has new name, tell me.
Oh and btw, rest in peace Retrograde.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Hi,
I'm Mike, better known as Tekdino. I hope some people remember me from the old forums. I joined it 2006 and 6‰ of the posts were mine.
I'm a 17 years old finnish underground rapper who has no idea what to do after high school and army service. I've had 2 big active seasons in orbiter and quite long flight pauses between them. I've been quite depressed and busy with some projects and school but if I will start to orbiter again actively it will be my 3rd orbiter season.
--------8<-----
Oh yeah, this is excellent place to advertise our small community, Tekdinorbiter which was serving orbitering people 24/7 when other places had server problems. www.tekdinorbiter.urli.net I will start in-built calendar, picture uploading and flight planner systems when I will get my own server.
Anyway, the advertisement ends here.
-----8<--------
These new forums are huge, I haven't had time to check it out completely so I have no idea who of the members are here. But if someone knows me but has new name, tell me.
Oh and btw, rest in peace Retrograde.

Welcome to the forum Tekdino, I'll get you setup with the addon developers group.

Pretty much everyone is over here from M6, including martins. ;)

Mustard

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.mustard-fr.com
My real first name is Frederic, i'm french and i live in a (new) house in normandy, beetwen Le Havre-Rouen and Caen, near of the D-Day beachs.

I'm 39 yo, and i'm technician of maintenance. My company is Gemalto (old name Gemplus) and we build your smartcards. I work in microelectronic room for the chip.

I use Orbiter since 2000 (i'm not sure of the date), with the first release.
For creation, in a first time i realised videos for Orbiter. After that i translated the manual in French and created with Dansteph the first francophone forum. And finaly we have a great Fr community and we create regularly somes good addons.
Personally i use anim8or for 3d model and Photoshop CS3/Paintshop Pro11 for textures.
Also i wrote an article for Orbiter in a Space news French magazine "Espace Magazine".

My english is not very good and it's the reason because i don't participate of the discussions here. I have 1.30 hour of english lesson each week with my job but it's not enough. My dream is to speak fluently english.

and i'm the webmaster of the francophone addons web site, and of the most popular french forum for space news

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com

Welcome Mustard! Thank you for all the hard work you've done for the Orbiter community, I love your sites and addons. :)

gimp1992

Reaction score
Hey Mustard your English is fine. I'm from Canada and have seen far worse, don't be embarrased about participating. At least you can write 2 languages I am stuck with one.

Scarecrow

Reaction score
I'm Neil. I'll be 18 in a month, more or less. I live in Massachusetts. In the fall I'll be attending MIT, and I'm thinking about majoring in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or perhaps Mechanical Engineering. I've been playing orbiter since shortly after the 2006p1 release. I'm fluent in English, Perl, C++, and Verilog, I'm learning Python, and I can get around with Java. I've been programming since 6th grade. I'm on my High School's Varsity Sailing team, and I'm a martial artist (Second Degree Black Belt in Tang-Soo-Do). Some of my favorite authors are Isaac Asimov, Michael Crichton, Matthew Reilly, Robert Heinlen, and others.

cjp

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
... who has no idea what to do after high school and army service....

Hey, that sounds familiar to me.

I'm 25 years old, finally about to finish my MSc in Applied Physics, and I don't know what to do after it (which is after next summer). Not yet found a PhD position that fits my skills and interests, and didn't find a job somewhere either. Well, if everything else fails, I guess I can still make websites :titanic:.

I generally like intellectually and mathematically challenging problems, especially when they are completely irrelevant to the rest of the world. A good example would be my master thesis project, which involves soccer robots. Well, at least we'll have some fun in China next summer :beach:.

Deke

The Original AstroNut!
Reaction score
Hey everyone!
I use to be AstroNut on the old forum, but apparently someone has taken that name.

Anyway, I've been out of the Orbiter loop for quite some time now. But since this time of the year marks my two year anniversary in Orbiter, I couldn't help but come back to the community.

I look foward to meeting up with old faces as well as welcoming the new ones.

Nas darovia!