Tell us about yourself!

Swigert

0% Sugar Free
Reaction score
I'm Bryan. I believe that I am one of the youngest O-F users, being only 14 years old. I became fascinated in space and flight at the age of 7 or so. I love space history, anywhere from Sputnik to modern day. I am the most fascinated in the Apollo missions and spacecrafts, hints my username. I am fluent in Lua, Java, and HTML programming languages, and am a pure computer nerd. I love to help people around Orbiter and the forum. Maybe we can become friends. :cheers:

Last edited:

ZemplinTemplar

Reaction score
Hello all. :tiphat:

I've used the Addons site and read these forums many times in the previous years, but I'm otherwise a newcomer who only registered today.

I'm in my late 20s and I'm a translator by profession. I've been interested in space and spaceflight ever since I was about 4 years old. I've discovered Orbiter in 2007 and have tried my hand at both the 2006 edition and the 2010 edition, but I still consider myself a beginner.

commec61

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum. I hadn't even heard about this program and forum until today. I've always been interested in space flight. I look forward to learning more about this program and the community.

Star_Rider

Reaction score
Hello All

Many years ago I downloaded Orbiter and the Eagle Transporter addons. I worked with them and actually became quite good at take-offs & landings, it was the flight itself that gave me trouble. I broke off due to going back to school and getting my Bachelors degree in Electronics Engineering and remarrying. I just downloaded 'The Big File' and will be installing it shortly.
I have always enjoyed space and the aspect of space flight. My first exposure was the early Mercury & Gemini flights, followed by the Apollo, and until recently, the space shuttle.
Then there is science fiction, Star Trek, Space 1999, 2001 Space Odyssey, Battlestar Galactica, and the rest. My interest was always in the technology, the ships, and what made it go.

John

Mikeydal565

Reaction score
First time here

Hey guys, huge Orbinoob here. Just started playing a few weeks ago.

Name's Mike, I'm from a small town in Scotland, and i've loved PC flight sims since i was very young. Namely Flight Simulator 2004, Team Apache, Il2, and many more.

I'm very computer literate but am very inexperienced with the file types and scripting that Orbiter utilises.

Looking forward to learning with/from you guys!

Castor

Reaction score
I am Tom. Have been playing Orbiter for a long time. I finally decided to join this forum.:hello:

Last edited:

MaS

Reaction score
Hi all!

Mi name is Michele and I'm a new forum user from Italy.

I thank you in advance if I need your help with Orbiter troubles.:thumbup:

MikeB

Reaction score
I've been around for a while, but thought I'd share something personal. I recently wrote a mini-memoir about programming the proof-of-concept planetary rover at JPL, in 1972. The story is at http://castleknob.com/generation-zero

Here's a pic of the robot, from a Blender model I made and animated for the story.
picture.php

serolrom

Reaction score
Hi all.

A new user from Spain over here.
So far I have had contact with Orbiter probably since the previous version. Recently I came back to this new one, coming from Flight Simulator expanding my horizons :)
Yesterday I docked the Atlantis to the ISS and felt this was quite an achievement for me. I think I am somehow "getting serious" and willing to make my way through more complex missions.

At this point it's about time for me to come and say hi to the community.

Nice to orbit with you all!

Sergio.

Sparky

Reaction score
Hello

My name's Mike I'm 31 year old I live in Arkansas but I've lived in several states in my life but settled down here. I've loved space and everything about for as long as I remember. I always wanted to be in space and Orbiter seems to be the most realistic closest way to have that dream. I've studied space since I could read. Pretty much I love space. I started using orbiter after I came across some videos about it about two months ago (for some reason it was under space documentaries in search for youtube and I don't know why). After the first one I decided to look for more thinking it was part of some serious or something. Well I came across a absolute beginner guide and started getting hook after two days of watching his videos I decided to download it for my self and try it out and now am hooked.

hummellc

Reaction score
New user. I am a former NASA Mission Controller for the Space Shuttle. I worked in an SSR area for the EECOM position. My special knowledge areas about the space shuttle are cryogenic O2 and H2 use in electrical power generation, supply water, cabin atmosphere pressure control systems, active thermal control, orbiter attitude modes, mission phase configuration of EECOM systems. I was a mission controller from 1981 until 1987. If anyone has any specific questions about the EECOM space shuttle functions and systems, please feel free to send me your questions. I will do my very best to give accurate and detailed answers.

MarcT

Reaction score
Gemini Enthusiast

Howdy! Recently joined the forum, and have been busy over the last six months or so building a Gemini capsule simulator. Used to play as a kid with my brothers in a closet with an old oscilloscope and switches, etc. and pretend "space food" that we were astronauts launching on various missions. Last year saw two of my daughters doing something similar with a large cardboard box with "controls" taped and colored onto it. Suddenly realized that I was a control systems engineer, and could do something really cool like that!

So half my garage has been taken over for a full-sized Gemini capsule simulator mockup. Mercury sounded boring (just along for the ride, and no company) while an Apollo capsule was too large for both my garage and too wide to trailer to other sites. Gemini was "just right"! Also, it was the program running when I was born and is pretty much at its 50th anniversary.

So far I've got half the capsule structure finished, a framework for the control panels welded together, and have completely wired built and wired the command pilot and pilot breaker panels (including the wire guards and the special arming switches). I've also custom made a number of the gauges using servo motors, such as descent gauge, acceleration, and propellant quantity. Used an old aircraft altimeter hacked apart with a stepper motor for that instrument. Have finally figured out a design for the "8-ball" and am working on that. Have even built a "water gun", using the pressure diaphragm from an RV water supply to provide the "tank". Been playing around with a vacuum sealer to make the "menu" items as consumed during the various Gemini missions. It won't be 100% accurate - for instance I compromised and bought a couple of race car seats and harnesses rather than try to make my own. But it should be pretty fun when done! the entire thing is designed to be tipped back to simulate "acceleration" during launch (I've got a 3" pneumatic piston and garage door springs for the actuator). There are two vibration transducers mounted to the seat backs as well as a 100 watt subwoofer for the sound effects. Using a cheap motorcycle comm system for the radio and intercom effects. All of the switches will be wired to the "computer" which I've built from 9 Arduinos and an mp3 sound board, all talking together with I2C (TWI). I even custom carved a joystick to match the one found in the Gemini, complete with twist grip for yaw control and two buttons for the push-to-talk switches. Also purchased a short-throw DLP projector for simulating the view outside the viewports.

Honestly the only part I'm still not sure how to do is retrieving/sending values with the Orbiter software. I've never written a DLL, I'm familiar with machine language programming, and have done Basic, , VB, C++, Fortran and Pascal programming. But I've never done anything involving the windows environment like writing a DLL. So I'm a little intimidated by that step, but hopeful I can figure it out when the time comes. I can do keyboard emulation with an Arduino Leonardo, as well as the joystick emulation so that isn't the problem. My main concern is being able to send data back to my simulator such as attitude info, altitude, etc. for display on the instruments. I could use a com port serial stream (which I'm most familiar with), or possibly something with an Ethernet shield (which I haven't used before). If anyone has any good pointers for me I'd love to hear them! Most useful would be if someone has built an interface like this before, which I could use as a starting point. I've seen lots of discussion in the forums about this kind of thing, but no concrete information from someone who's done it.

Anyway, looking forward to getting this project done - will be taking it over to the school next door to play with as part of their science program. But don't expect it will be done until later next year! So far I've spent around $3K on it, not too bad really. A couple of construction photos attached. Cheers!

Attachments

• DSC_1116.jpg
    DSC_1116.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 20
  • P1160519.JPG
    P1160519.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 16

Keithth G

Reaction score
Hi. Interested in halo orbits. Although much work can be done without a simulation program, this theoretical work can become a little 'stale' and a modelling suite such as Orbiter 2010 brings the subject to life.

Halo orbits aren't modelled by (I believe) any of the MFDs or add-ons - e.g. TransX and IMFD, so I'm in the process of reverse engineering Orbiter 2010's Newtonian gravitational emulation engine so that I can accurately represent how trajectories will evolve in Orbiter 2010. Although it is clear that the emulation engine uses VSOP87B and ELP2000/82 as the basic planetary ephemeris, a close comparison of the VSOP87B solution suggests that there are some subtle (and seemingly undocumented) coordinate transformations taking place that map the raw VSOP87B solution to a slightly different inertial reference frame that is actually used by Orbiter 2010. If anyone knows what these transformations are, I'd be interested in knowing.

So, for what I want to do, attempting as I am to emulate as accurately as possible Orbiter 2010's representation of Newtonian physics, rather than use the VSOP87/ELP2000 solution directly as the ephemeris generator for the primary Solar System gravitating bodies, it seems cleaner to me to use Orbiter 2010 directly as the ephemeris generator. This is, I think, a straightforward exercise in interrogating Orbiter 2010 interface, to provide the position and velocity of (all) gravitating bodies via the Lua interface. From there, it seems straightforward to build an accurate off-line ephemeris generator specific to Orbiter 2010' s representation of gravity (and inertial reference frame).

And once this is done, I can then build and test a high-orders symplectic integrator to plot the evolution of a test object in the full n-body gravitational field to see how this compares with Orbiter 2010's version of the same. If the two time evolution systems agree, I can then start work on mapping stable and unstable manifolds and get down to the stuff that I'm more interested in which is work out routines for insertion into Halo orbits around, say, the Lagrange points of the Earh-Moon system; and in developing routines for orbit maintenance once inserted into a Halo orbit. And so on.

This should keep me busy for a bit.

Last edited:

Super_NONO

Reaction score
Super_NONO presentation and thanks

Hi i'm Bruno, i leave in France and fly around the solar system in orbiter for a while, i've decided to register on the Forum, since some great thing are about to come with a new release of orbiter, i will try to add my "tiny" support to this huge thing.

I just want to thanks some people that i read/listen/watch since a while now, with great passion :
* Dr Martin Schweiger for the huge thing that is orbiter.
* Blixel for the great youtube channel he has nearly entirely dedicated to orbiter, i've learn a lot watching you.
* dgatsoulis i read you carefully, thank also for your iMFD guide together with blixel.
* Dan Steph for the neat add-on's to orbiter, i'm a great fan's of the arrow freighter.
* All the people that put their stone i this "great-wall" that is the orbiter community.

fr4654

Reaction score
Just Joined & Learning the Ropes

Hello everyone. My name is Freddie and I just recently (Today) joined. I am a retired First Sergeant after 24-yrs in the US Army, and find myself enjoying life. I am a rated pilot, but only fly simulations due to my unfortunate meeting with a huge Buck while riding my Honda VTX 1800:facepalm:. Now I fly simulations at a Virtual Airline(s) or two, using the almost constructed simulator POD at home. This morning I came across the NASA Space Shuttle simulation and I am now gathering the applications I need to exist in Space. Most of the simulations I have are FS-9, FS-X, ATC 2.0, Real Flight 6.5, and a few land based genre simulators. So, bare with my newness and I hope to enjoy this part of my hobby with all involved. I currently use a highly customized laptop to maintain the portability concept on my simulator Apps. SO I once again say hi, and be talking to everyone soon.

Mipada

Reaction score
Hello all. I'v been working on my own virtual solar system (who hasn't) and found this. I play Lord of the Rings Online (LOTRO - Silverload server - ask for Grace) and can see that this is about as addicting...

jaypray63

Reaction score
Pleased to meet you.

I've done FlightSim for several years and Orbiter for a few months and want to be an astronaut when I grow up. I'm 68. There seems to be a lot of space exploration stuff going on lately and it's really fun to simulate it. Thanks to all you developers and site admins out there.

brainandforce

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Brain&Force, a chem major and orbinaut since 2010 (albeit with many gaps) and I'm starting to get into advanced territory. Hopefully I'll start with addon development and 3D modeling sometime soon.